Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #3886
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
"Despite what you think you know, most people don’t want to fight, especially when evenly matched. A mob will tear an individual to pieces and a man with a gun and a noble cause is happy to kill ever so many women and children, but risking a fair fight—not so easy." ~Ben Aaronovitch, Midnight Riot
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 PM   #3887
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
"One thing even the Black Death could not extinguish was Venetian self-esteem."

~The Great Mortality, John Kelly
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #3888
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Whenever I think of my favourite lines from HHGTTG, this one is right near the top - understated but so evocative, for me a reminder that he really could write

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t."
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #3889
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
An oldie but goodie:
"Please Excuse Typing"
If you have ever, like me,
Missed the "r" and hit the "t,"
Addressing some fat blister
As "Mt." instead of "Mr.,"
I trust you left it unamended?
Splendid.

-J.B.Boothroyd, Punch, 1948
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:13 AM   #3890
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I interpret these opening sentences of the book as Amelia Peabody's answer to Elizabeth Bennett:
Quote:
I NEVER meant to marry. In my opinion, a woman born in the last half of the nineteenth century of the Christian era suffered from enough disadvantages without wilfully embracing another.
-- Barbara Mertz writing as Elizabeth Peters, The Mummy Case (1985)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #3891
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Life isn’t just one thing. As you get older, especially—and I don’t mean old as I am now—nothing just has one story, one truth. If I said I’d never been happier than I was when the kids were young, I wouldn’t be lying. But if I told you that I hated them, and thought of this house as a prison, that would be close to the truth as well.
-- Ian R. MacLeod, Song of Time (2008)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #3892
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
‘I could never make up my mind,’ he wrote, ‘whether Kipling had moulded his characters accurately in the image of Anglo-Indian society or whether we were moulding our characters accurately in the image of a Kipling story.
Leonard Woolf, quoted in The British in India by David Gilmour

I posted this because I found it an astonishing endorsement of Kipling's work, and made sense of my reaction when I first read Kim: "this is my Dad's India!"
Old 12-25-2018, 04:49 AM   #3893
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
How does one hate a country, or love one? Tibe talks about it; I lack the trick of it. I know people, I know towns, farms, hills and rivers and rocks, I know how the sun at sunset in autumn falls on the side of a certain ploughland in the hills; but what is the sense of giving a boundary to all that, of giving it a name and ceasing to love where the name ceases to apply? What is love of one’s country; is it hate of one’s uncountry? Then it’s not a good thing. It is simply self-love.
Ursula K. Le Guin The Left Hand of Darkness
Old 12-29-2018, 07:18 PM   #3894
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
“You can see your own self what happened,” I said. “Woman, I got old. You’ll see what it’s like, when you get there. All the people who believed in me died, and then the ones who humored me died, and now even the ones who feel obligated to sort of tolerate me are starting to go."

― Andy Duncan, Close Encounters from An Agent of Utopia, New and Selected Stories

Last edited by BenG; 12-29-2018 at 07:24 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:14 AM   #3895
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
New Zealand, that land of sheep and Sunday afternoons
Alan Bennett The Uncommon Reader
Old 01-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #3896
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
If cats looked like frogs we'd realise what nasty cruel little bastards they are
Terry Pratchett Lords and Ladies
cf https://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill
Old 01-08-2019, 10:04 PM   #3897
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
"Let me ask you this, Mr. Ai: do you know, by your own experience, what patriotism is?”

“No,” I said, shaken by the force of that intense personality suddenly turning itself wholly upon me. “I don’t think I do. If by patriotism you don’t mean the love of one’s homeland, for that I do know.”

“No, I don’t mean love, when I say patriotism. I mean fear. The fear of the other. And its expressions are political, not poetical: hate, rivalry, aggression. It grows in us, that fear. It grows in us year by year. We’ve followed our road too far."

Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 PM   #3898
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

(Posted as an example of how a typo can make an excerpt VERY "notable")

Quote:
For a building that is staunchly believed to be Shah Jahan’s monument to love, it is surprising that the padshah then moves so far away from the city where the Taj Mahal is built, and that he almost never returns to visit it. There is only one recorded visit, in 1954, before Shah Jahan is brought back to Agra under duress as a prisoner.
Daughters of the Sun: Empresses Queens and Begums of the Mughal Empire - Ira Mukhoty
Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #3899
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
“I never get tired of them old stars, Thee. I miss 'em up in Washington and Oregon where it's misty. Like 'em best down in Mother Mexico, where they have everything their own way. I'm not for any country where the stars are dim.”
― Willa Cather | The Song of the Lark
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:11 AM   #3900
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
‘That’s one school of thought,’ I said, ‘though not a very well-attended school.’
Bertie Wooster in Jeeves and the King of Clubs, by Ben Schott