Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #61
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	2yzhpwl.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	160627

I have a few of them. I think I have two more at my parents' house too. Nope, not a hoarder, nope nope nope!
S
Aehm? Why would you need multiple? Do they wear out? Looks like all that might break is the battery that needs recharged.

Last edited by issybird; 12-14-2017 at 06:31 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #62
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
They use AAA batteries. But, I have had the light die on one, so yes they can wear out. You should see my Itty Bitty Book Light and bulb collection. Nooo, not a hoarder at all!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #63
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Aehm? Why would you need multiple? Do they wear out? Looks like all that might break is the battery that needs recharged.
Okay. You win! So you did have one ONE that wore out, though? Probably should get a few more!

Last edited by rcentros; 12-14-2017 at 07:06 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #64
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
But of course!

To own only one ebook reader is to invite incipient insanity!

How can anyone be so foolish??!!??

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:41 AM   #65
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
It seems an argument I told myself to prevent impulse buying a paperwhite was not true. Still, I would prefer buying a nonlit kindle if it ever had a higher resolution (300 ppi) like it's paperwhite counterpart since it'd probably have darker font/crispier resolution. Anyway, that's what I'm now telling myself to prevent purchasing a paperwhite . . .
The 8th generation Kindle Basic firmware has the up to 10 fonts and the size and darkness settings available for the fonts so even with only 167 DPI, the classic Kindle screen resolution, it can provide excellent contrast letters. Helvetica can be very dark even at boldness level 0 or 1, but with the contrast adjustment available all the fonts can be very high contrast.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #66
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Still adding to the collection. I just had a Sony PRS-900 arrive in great shape. Now looking for a PRS-950 which is supposed to have a better screen glass with less glare. A interesting screen size and shape as the width is the same as Kindle, Kobo and Nook 6" screens but the height is taller so the screen measures about 7.1" diagonally. Makes the reader about as tall as the K 2 but without a keyboard and overall a bit narrower. I do not know if anyone else ever used that screen configuration. Makes for a big e-reader by current standards and it weighs 14.4 ounces with the not removable folio cover.

Lots of interesting older e-readers out there that still work fine and show different implementations of user interface and memory expansion. Many Sony e-readers had memory expansion slots for both SD cards and Sony memory sticks. Sony was late to offer wireless communications in their e-readers and never offered screen illumination other than by covers with built-in lights like the Kindle lighted covers for the K4/K5, KT and Kindle keyboard.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #67
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Oh yeah, the screen on the 950 is so much better than on the 900. I just wish the 950 came with the nice built in case of the 900.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #68
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
I gave away a Kindle Touch and Paperwhite 1, still have the Voyage and new Oasis. I also have two iPad Mini devices that are used only for reading plus two iPhones (one Irish number and one American). My iPad Pro I would only read manuals on.
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:14 AM   #69
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Oh yeah, the screen on the 950 is so much better than on the 900. I just wish the 950 came with the nice built in case of the 900.
I loved the 950; I'm quite certain mine got more reading done on it than any other reader I've owned. Ultimately, when its battery life tanked and screen resolutions got so much better on newer readers, I moved on to the H2O (the 950 spoiled me for 6" when reading at home). I still have it, though, and charge it up on occasion.

My favorite reader ever was probably the 350; that was a lovely little device.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #70
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Question to the people with a legion of e-readers: Why?

To me, that makes as much sense as having multiple toasters
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:31 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Turning on the light, even in a brightly lit room increases the contrast. That's why Kindle recommends using a high setting in a bright area. Not that I'm trying to chip away at your reasons for not buying another device...
I disagree with Amazon's recommendation. If the external light is good enough, I keep the front light off. The contrast with Carta is good enough. I believe Amazon's recommendation is to help wear out the battery so it dies faster and then most people would then buy another Kindle. It's a scam (IMHO).

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-14-2017 at 11:44 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #72
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post

Same answer as previously posted. Why not.
As to the toasters, I have 4 no 5 different ways to make toast.
Stovetop, oven, broiler, toaster oven and toaster. My toaster also has multiple settings. Oh wait I have a 2 slice toaster and a 4 slice toaster. The second one is great because you can toast 2 ways at once. So now how did you want your toast?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

Why do people have a legion of anything? A legion of tablets or shoes or kitchenware or underwear or whatever. Hoarding is in the human nature.

Every Kindle that I still use has some feature the others lack, that's why I have several. There's no single perfect e-reader, at least not for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Typically, it would be because they get a new one, but the old one still functions. Not going to throw it away, but not everyone wants to sell their old crap either.

Then there are the people who mentioned having multiple Kindles, one at home, one at work. If they are not reading sideloaded books, the Kindles sync, so they can read where they are without having to carry the device everywhere.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
...I believe Amazon's recommendation is to help wear out the battery so it dies faster and then most people would then buy another Kindle. It's a scam (IMHO).
Does aluminum foil work as well for a hat as tin foil?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote