Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #46
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
We have 2 paperwhites. My ex husband has a voyage that I’d love to steal.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #47
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
I currently have the Nook Glowlight 3 and the Kindle Oasis 2 for my dedicated reading devices. I also have a Nexus 7 (2013) and a bunch of phones and junk... but I don't really think of them as dedicated reading devices.

One of the reasons I have more than one right now is for the different ergonomics of each device. Gives my hands and wrists something different every once in a while so that I don't (hopefully!) get into too much RSI which I have a long history with and must be ever vigilant in avoiding/reducing. (I started experiencing immense RSI problems at University... so higher education has had a lasting impact on me... just not in the way that I had thought that it might...)
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #48
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
A 10", 8" and 2 7" kindle fires, a kindle pw, a kindle oasis under the tree. I also have a Samsung Galaxy Tab. Part of my problem is I take really good care of my devices, and so whenever something new comes out, I also have the old. Never found anything better than my old 10" Fire and my SGT, though. Now that the directv app is finally working, I am filling them up with ridiculous Hallmark Christmas movies that I can watch while on vacation. I have sent all sorts of books to my new oasis, so as soon as I unwrap it, I can read!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #49
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got one front-lit eReader (Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight) but my eyes like the nonlit eReaders better. I'm not giving up on trying front-lit eReaders (the Kobo Glo didn't work out, but I'm thinking of trying out a Nook Glowlight 3) but I think I would prefer a 300 ppi nonlit reader – though, I'm pretty sure, there's never going to be one. My lighted cases make the Kindle Basic and Touch just as convenient as front-lit eReaders (pick it up and go) and it's really not hard to carry my M-Edge E-Luminator light for the others.
I tried my son's Voyage while he is in visiting. My eyes just weren't as rested feeling while using it compared to my old faithful K4NT Black. I have a stockpile of the M-Edge E-Luminator lights. I actually worry about when all of them finally stop working. Will they even be making lights like that for ebook readers then? What will I do then? Because I don't have enough things to worry about.....
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I tried my son's Voyage while he is in visiting. My eyes just weren't as rested feeling while using it compared to my old faithful K4NT Black. I have a stockpile of the M-Edge E-Luminator lights. I actually worry about when all of them finally stop working. Will they even be making lights like that for ebook readers then? What will I do then? Because I don't have enough things to worry about.....
S
I worry about my E-Luminators also (even though I've still got a couple of them in their original container and none of them have ever broken – Big Lots was selling them out for a while). I even checked Amazon and saw that you can still get them for $6 (including two day shipping).

Uh, oh. A quick check shows they're now priced at $6.99 instead – must have been a run on them.

As for eyes not being "as rested," that's what my issue is with front-lit readers. They just aren't "comfortable." I found myself continually changing the brightness when I owned the Kobo Glo and, even though the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight is easier on my eyes, I can only read for about 40 or 45 minutes before I don't want to use it anymore (and I find myself repeatedly changing the brightness on that one as well). I even thought about getting a Voyage when they were $120 for refurbished ones, but decided against it because I really don't think it would be "comfortable." I'm hoping that – maybe – the orange light on the Nook GlowLight 3 will be better (when and if I get one), but I'm not really that hopeful.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2017 at 02:47 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
As for eyes not being "as rested," that's what my issue is with front-lit readers. They just aren't "comfortable." I found myself continually changing the brightness when I owned the Kobo Glo and, even though the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight is easier on my eyes, I can only read for about 40 or 45 minutes before I don't want to use it anymore (and I find myself repeatedly changing the brightness on that one as well). I even thought about getting a Voyage when they were $120 for refurbished ones, but decided against it because I really don't think it would be "comfortable." I'm hoping that – maybe – the orange light on the Nook GlowLight 3 will be better (when and if I get one), but I'm not really that hopeful.
One advantage to the Glowlight, if the light does bother you, you can turn it fully off. Just hold down the 'n' button. Still works on the GL3. I did it by mistake.

And I would think the higher screen resolution and newer, more contrast-y e-ink screens would make up for whatever blurriness the (for you) unwanted light layer might introduce.

The Kindles can have the light turned down very low, but never off. I would think the light would be so low, it wouldn't bother you. But I don't want to assume.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:57 PM   #52
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One advantage to the Glowlight, if the light does bother you, you can turn it fully off. Just hold down the 'n' button. Still works on the GL3. I did it by mistake.
I didn't know (or think) about that. I know my NST w/Glowlight (without the light on) is noticeably grayer than a standard NST. I wonder if the Nook GlowLight Plus also has a light that can be completely turned off?
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #53
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
S
People use those M-Edge lights on paperbacks as well as ereaders. I think they will be around as long as people are buying them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #54
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
People use those M-Edge lights on paperbacks as well as ereaders. I think they will be around as long as people are buying them.
It doesn't look like M-Edge is still manufacturing the E-Luminator Touch. I'm guessing there are others but this is the one I'm used to.

And M-Edge has completely revamped their website. They look like a totally different company now. Weird. Whole new lines, whole new logo. Very few eReader cases any more.

http://www.medgestore.com/

Last edited by rcentros; 12-13-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't know (or think) about that. I know my NST w/Glowlight (without the light on) is noticeably grayer than a standard NST. I wonder if the Nook GlowLight Plus also has a light that can be completely turned off?
I believe all Nooks have a light that can be turned completely off. Since the Plus doesn't have a physical home button, I'm pretty sure you turn it off by clicking the light bulb icon on the upper right corner of the screen.

EDIT: From the GlowLight Plus FAQ:

If you do want to turn GlowLight completely off, move the slider all the way to the left and you will see that the GlowLight icon is crossed off indicating GlowLight is now off.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-13-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #56
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
The Kindles can have the light turned down very low, but never off. I would think the light would be so low, it wouldn't bother you. But I don't want to assume.
Oasis (I think the 1st one as well, but definitely the new one) can have the light turned off completely without software or hardware hacks. Level 0 light is off. Strangely enough in inverse video mode the light always stays on for some stupid reason.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Oasis (I think the 1st one as well, but definitely the new one) can have the light turned off completely without software or hardware hacks. Level 0 light is off. Strangely enough in inverse video mode the light always stays on for some stupid reason.
My ignorance is showing. I stopped following Kindles after the Voyage and I only have access to a Paperwhite (I almost typed 'Paperweight'! No slur on Kindles intended).
Old 12-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #58
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
My ignorance is showing. I stopped following Kindles after the Voyage and I only have access to a Paperwhite (I almost typed 'Paperweight'! No slur on Kindles intended).
Just blame auto.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #59
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
I worry about my E-Luminators also (even though I've still got a couple of them in their original container and none of them have ever broken – Big Lots was selling them out for a while). I even checked Amazon and saw that you can still get them for $6 (including two day shipping).

Uh, oh. A quick check shows they're now priced at $6.99 instead – must have been a run on them.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2yzhpwl.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	160626

I have a few of them. I think I have two more at my parents' house too. Nope, not a hoarder, nope nope nope!
S

Last edited by issybird; 12-14-2017 at 06:29 AM.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #60
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
My lighted cases make the Kindle Basic and Touch just as convenient as front-lit.
I used a lighted case on my Kindle Touch, the original one. I was very pleased with the light until I got my Paperwhite. It didn't take long for the Touch to seem like 10th century technology.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote