Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
Apparition B5
Zealot
Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apparition B5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 and iPad Air 5
I have a Kindle Voyage for reading at home, a Kindle Voyage I keep at work for reading during my lunch break at work, and an iPad Pro for reading digital comic books and graphic novels.
Apparition B5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #17
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Clearly MR members have multiple devices, but I wonder if the normal folks just have a single ereader?

For the record, I read on a KA1, but still have a mini in a drawer, a Kindle Voyage my daughter seems to have acquired, and an old Kindle Touch.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #18
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Clearly MR members have multiple devices, but I wonder if the normal folks just have a single ereader?
My wife Barbara is pretty normal and has no desire for anything other than the Kindle Keyboard

The only problem with it, for her, is rarely wanting to read a library eBook that is ePUB-only, which mainly means the Brooklyn Cloud Library collection.

For me, the Washington Post is another reason to use the Fire.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:07 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Voyage, all 3 models of Paperwhite, 3 Kobo Auras, a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kobo Mini. I also have half a dozen phones, although only one has service, about a dozen tablets of various ages, all still easily usable.

I have a partial excuse in that living in a retirement home in rural Arkansas with neighbors with no tech knowledge, some of whom love to read and watch old TV shows, I'm always loaning them out. if I didn't have that excuse I'd have to think of one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:48 PM   #20
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Umm, yeah, I've got a bit of a collection going. Ran out of room to put them all in the Device box on my profile.

I think I have 2 really really cheap ereaders that I don't bother to list and I have given a couple away over the years. But, yeah, they have their own drawer now.

I'm a Sony girl. Only reason I even have a Kindle was because I won it in a contest. Who's going to say no to a free ereader?
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm a ereader hoarder. I also hoard Apple Nanos since I listen to a lot of audiobooks.

As far as normal folks, there is not another person in my life that I know of who has more than one ereader. Some also use their iphone, but not when they are at home. Same with the kids. Just one ereader. My Mom says "why would I need another one unless this one quits?" She will rely on my backups, I guess, when that happens.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-10-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 AM   #22
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Loser here with Kindle/laptop/phone. Hoping a manufacturer gives me an excuse to buy another before I begin school again next fall. Going to be soooo broke when that happens!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:45 AM   #23
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
No, I don't.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #24
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Let’s see:

Palm m500 - no longer in use as I don’t have anything that will run the software or can plug the cradle into
Elonex ereader - has a broken screen so can’t be used
Aluratech Libre - not used because the battery life is so short even compared to a tablet
Kobo Touch - retired after I plugged in a SD card and it stopped communicating reliably with the Mac
Icarus - current ereader

Other devices:
Google Nexus 7: retired
Ipad Mini 2: currently in use
Iphone SE: I’m using that now

The ipad & iphone see the heaviest use for Amazon purchases because of the convenience, the Icarus is mainly used for non-Amazon purchases because of the hassle of emailing documents. I find myself using the phone a lot these days, especially on the commute as it’s small enough for me to hold in one hand and slip into a pocket when changing trains or reaching my destination.

I also have Kindle for Mac and Calibre on the machine but don’t use them for reading. The Calibre viewer gets used to pull copyright information and lists of contributors when I’m logging titles into LibraryThing but not for serious reading.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Hmm, what does "having a single reader" really mean? I have multiple readers: Aura One, BeBook Mini, Sony PRS650, and an Onyx Boox (I gave my H2O away) [only counting the e-ink devices]. But I only use one, the others were replaced because there were newer devices on the market that fitted my reading habbits even better. I never sell things (too much hassle, not worth my time), but I don't use them. So, I do own more than 1 reader, but I only use one of them, the rest haven't been used in a long time.

With tablets, it's a completely different story, I own multiple and use 3 on a regular basis
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:14 AM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It all depends on your definitions. I have 3 devices that I regularly read on - an iPad Pro, an iPad mini, iPhone 7plus and a Kindle paperwhite. I also have several older devices that still work that I use to use, including a Sony PRS-T2.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:16 AM   #27
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I have an iPad 1, iPad mini 1, kindle keyboard, kindle (not sure which gen), kindle Voyage, and iPhone 7s plus.

The Kindle keyboard is somewhere around here, unregistered. The other Kindle is seldom used by my wife. The iPad Mini is predominately used as a smart remote and media app for an Oppo BDP 203 player, and the iPad 1, is not used at all anymore; it's just too slow. I may be an electronic hoarder. :-)

I only really read on the Voyage, and when I'm away without it on my 7S plus.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:39 AM   #28
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I currently have only one dedicated e-reader (e-ink) in use, and that is my Kindle Paperwhite.

I also have e-reader apps on all my devices (Calibre on my computer, Moonreader pro on my phone and tablet, as well as Overdrive)

I have owned a great many dedicated e-readers..My husband and 2 of my daughters have previous ones I have bought. I have an old Sony PRS-T2 that I have re-set and am loading up with many Public Domain favorites to give to a friend as a Christmas gift.

Since about 2010, (or whenever I joined MR - edit: I notice it's April 2011) I have bought multiple dedicated e-readers from Kobo, Sony, and Kindle. Since starting to buy Kindles, I haven't really looked back.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:15 AM   #29
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I have bought and sold many different devices since I started using e-readers, always looking for one single device which could fulfill all my needs and requirements, but that does not seem to exist.

My current situation, which I am quite satisfied with, is the following:
  • a Kindle PW2, which I won and which I keep to access my Amazon books directly. It has the best dictionaries, so I use it when I read a book with a certain range of vocabulary.
  • a Kobo Glo HD, which I got quite cheaply after it was discontinued and which I use for general reading and Pocket. Love the screen!
  • a Pocketbook Touch HD, which is my luxury reader on which I keep my whole library. It has an excellent screen and audio features. I mainly use it at night, because I can turn down the light really low.
  • a Pocketbook Ultra, which I bought as a lightweight device to carry with me on the train.

I'm thinking about buying the new Touch HD2 with the smartlight, but it's not a top priority. All my purchases were to upgrade specific features and to use a different system. I like having some variety and different dictionaries depending on what I'm reading.
However, I wouldn't see any point in having two or more Paperwhites, those are basically the same device. I always sell the devices I don't need anymore or give them to friends.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #30
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I have three devices that I use for reading. My H2O, obviously. My Playbook I also use primarily as an e-reader. (Once in a while I'll check the weather forecast on it.) My Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70 I use for social media a lot, but I also do almost all my comic book reading on there and a fair number of PDFs.

My plan was to have two e-ink devices, but I lost my old Kobo Touch the same day I ordered my Aura HD...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote