Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #166
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKSeifert View Post
If you have not already done so, don't buy the PW3! It's screen is considerably worse than the PW2 screen. It is a very cold white as compared to a really nice, slightly warm white on the V2. It's bottom edge is quite dark compared to the rest of the screen with even darker areas between the leds where on the V2 the bottom edges is very evenly illuminated. And right now, since it does not have the latest update, and thus no boldness control, it's text looks very weak compared to the V2, almost translucent. If it were not already too late I would return it.
By the way, PW3 definitely does have control for boldness. I think that feature was added on 5.8.11 or something. Only works for azw3 and kfx, though.

Even illumination seems to vary from device to device. I've owned a couple of PW2s and multiple PW3s and they seem more or less the same there bar typical manufacturing variations. I do agree that the PW2s consistently run warmer compared to the PW3s.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #167
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PW3 definitely better than PW2. Both are here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:31 PM   #168
GKSeifert
GKSeifert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
By the way, PW3 definitely does have control for boldness. I think that feature was added on 5.8.11 or something. Only works for azw3 and kfx, though.

Even illumination seems to vary from device to device. I've owned a couple of PW2s and multiple PW3s and they seem more or less the same there bar typical manufacturing variations. I do agree that the PW2s consistently run warmer compared to the PW3s.
Thanks for that! I must have been looking at one of those other file types. I do find it now and the PW3 is still at 5.9.7. It does make it look considerably better. But obviously it doesn't help the poor screen.

And thanks for those other reponses folks! I am sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes, but this PW3 is a real let down. It is worse than my original Paperwhite. Nowhere near as good as my PW2. I would expect a heck of a lot better quality control. May have bought my last Kindle. The latest has five leds instead of four so it might be better. But, if I buy one, I won't buy it via the net. I want to return it locally if it isn't right.

I stand by my complaint on the ridiculous naming conventions over their total product range. But now that the file naming convention in this area has been explained at least I can navigate the Paperwhite files. Thanks for that.

Regards,
Gord
GKSeifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #169
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKSeifert View Post
The latest has five leds instead of four so it might be better. But, if I buy one, I won't buy it via the net. I want to return it locally if it isn't right.
I've got a few PW4s, too (kinda stocked up while they're still jailbreakable ). Lighting is consistently more even compared to the PW3.

Alas, because of the flush display but lacking the techniques used to make the Voyage screen crisper, text on the PW4 looks a wee bit more washed out compared to the PW3. Mind, it's not awful. I stop noticing it within 5 minutes.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 PM   #170
GKSeifert
GKSeifert began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I've got a few PW4s, too (kinda stocked up while they're still jailbreakable ). Lighting is consistently more even compared to the PW3.

Alas, because of the flush display but lacking the techniques used to make the Voyage screen crisper, text on the PW4 looks a wee bit more washed out compared to the PW3. Mind, it's not awful. I stop noticing it within 5 minutes.
Thanks, I will have to stop in to a local outlet and take a peek.

I hope I did this right. If so, this is a comparison of my PW2 and PW3. Note how much brighter the top is than the bottom on the PW3 (the whiter one). It makes landscape use a misery. Both were taken at the same time, part of a single image, just moved closer together in an editor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSX_20181217_195715.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	724.6 KB
ID:	168448

Regards,
Gord
GKSeifert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:17 AM   #171
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
BTW I have both PW2 and Voyage

while voyage has very crisp text (sharpness, contrast), PW2 has uniform warm light

voyage has uneaven top-to-bottom light, top is redder than bottom (sic!) - it looks a bit strange when reading in darkness with low level of light

[edit] oh wow, .2 firmware released, I'll update both kindles and see if it fixed anything

[edit2] voyage update was stuck at the beginning but it was successful after all, I'll see if there are any significant improvements

Last edited by khron; 01-02-2019 at 05:47 AM.
khron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #172
zaqxsw
Connoisseur
zaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheesezaqxsw can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 - Gen 11
Are they EVER going to update PW3 / Gen 7 ??? It's been three months since the failed v5.10.1.1. All other Gen's have been updated...
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 AM   #173
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My PW3 updated automatically to 5.10.1.1 and has been fine. However it's very recently bought and was on the prior Firmware. The "feel" of the screen seems a little different from older PW3 in the family. I wonder are there slightly different Hardware revisions during the three year+ production since launch in 2015.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #174
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Apparently screens have been known to vary somewhat between individual units.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #175
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

It's actually a nicer feel than the older PW3 models we have. Looks the same.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #176
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
My PW3 updated automatically to 5.10.1.1 and has been fine. However it's very recently bought and was on the prior Firmware. The "feel" of the screen seems a little different from older PW3 in the family. I wonder are there slightly different Hardware revisions during the three year+ production since launch in 2015.
I've been keeping my PW3 on airplane mode to avoid updating, however yesterday I turned on the wi-fi to download some books and update 5.10.2 started. Here's what new states," Performance improvements and other general enchancements."
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #177
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I've been keeping my PW3 on airplane mode to avoid updating, however yesterday I turned on the wi-fi to download some books and update 5.10.2 started. Here's what new states," Performance improvements and other general enchancements."
Can you show the Device Info screen please.
You are the first and only one to report about 5.10.2 for PW3, no traces at Amazon site so far.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #178
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I removed my update.bin.tmp.partial directory and it immediately started downloading 5.10.2.

Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) Update - 5.10.2
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PW3-Info.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	169053   Click image for larger version

Name:	PW3-Whats_New.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	169054  

Last edited by JimmyR; 01-14-2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Add link to firmware update
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #179
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Can you show the Device Info screen please.
You are the first and only one to report about 5.10.2 for PW3, no traces at Amazon site so far.
Apparently, I'm the second one (so far).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2019_01_13t14_26_24.png
Views:	227
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	169055  
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #180
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
I removed my update.bin.tmp.partial directory and it immediately started downloading 5.10.2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
Apparently, I'm the second one (so far).
Amazon must be doing a very slow roll out. Maybe so they can handle any issues as they go? The newest software on Amazon's Kindle update page (hidden) is still 5.10.1.1. The newest one displayed is still 5.9.7.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote