Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-02-2018, 03:29 AM   #4501
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I cannot put my kindle down. I carry it everywhere like a security blanket
I've been known to fall asleep with my tablet in my arms like a teddy bear. That has frequently been the cause of me breaking readers. If I had prescription glasses I would still need readers to read at night because of that bad habit. No glasses will survive coming off you and rolling over on them as you sleep.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #4502
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My habit has subsided quite a lot of late. Amazon deals of the day have been lackluster for a while, nothing interesting to me. Bookbud and goodreads deals also haven't been my cup of tea of late.

Then this morning, bam, bought two on sale, one 2.99 one 1.99. I guess I fell off the wagon....
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #4503
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Then this morning, bam, bought two on sale, one 2.99 one 1.99. I guess I fell off the wagon....
Alternatively, your restraint has finally paid off, and you've got two books you really want at a very good price.

Just don't make a habit of it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 08:18 AM   #4504
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Several of the Sue Grafton books are available to borrow as ebooks from my local library system. I have my next one (actually the next-but-one - I already have the next one) on my Kindle wishlist but I've marked it as "lib" so I know I can also borrow it (if it's still available when I get to it).

In the UK we had a Big Deal on John Steinbeck yesterday, and I was sorely tempted, but when I'm so close to a full calendar month* with no purchases for the first time I can remember, I managed to talk myself down.

*yeah, OK, it is the short one
does Sue Grafton book need to read in order from A?

My local library only have ebook P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y

Last edited by steven168; 03-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #4505
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post

My opinion is that it is better if you start from A so you are familiar with the characters and backstory but the books are standalone so you can start reading at any point in the series.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #4506
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I've been known to fall asleep with my tablet in my arms like a teddy bear. That has frequently been the cause of me breaking readers. If I had prescription glasses I would still need readers to read at night because of that bad habit. No glasses will survive coming off you and rolling over on them as you sleep.
Same here I sleep with my ipad playing netflix every night and the Kindle Oasis 2 next to it and the glowlight 3 sometimes too LOL

I must have 100 books I have not read but I just subscribed to kindle unlimited for the magazines
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:02 AM   #4507
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I'm more addicted to reading this thread than to buying ebooks!

Actually the thing I used to be addicted to was picking up tons of Kindle freebies - way more than I could read, or even keep track of. Once in a rare while I go back through them and attempt to 'pan for gold', but kinda wish I hadn't built up so many. Most of my ebook reading is from my library, or with Google Survey credits, or other discount methods. Free or cheap is nice (as long as it's something I want to read of course!)

Last edited by glow; 03-04-2018 at 03:12 AM.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:06 AM   #4508
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glow View Post
Actually the thing I used to be addicted to was picking up tons of Kindle freebies - way more than I could read, or even keep track of.
I recently purged my Kindle account of all the random freebies. They just add clutter and hinder access to the books you actually want to read. IMO.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:56 AM   #4509
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My random freebies mostly come from copying my mother's public domain library. I've wasted a fair amount of time just looking for descriptions/blurbs for the books so that I can know what she gave me. Most of them I'll likely never read.

Otherwise my freebies are for the most part books that I'd spend at a least a dollar for. The problem is that there are far too many books that I'd spend one to three dollars on or why I have a TBR list currently hovering around 400 books.

And I can't even make myself regret most of the books I've acquired as I'm sure that sooner or later I'll really want to read a book on that very topic or by that author and the book would likely be full price or unavailable then. And I do enjoy doing a random dip into my pile of curated books and reading at least one chapter of what comes up.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #4510
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
My random freebies mostly come from copying my mother's public domain library. I've wasted a fair amount of time just looking for descriptions/blurbs for the books so that I can know what she gave me. Most of them I'll likely never read.
If they're public domain, get rid of them all. When and if you run across a reference to a pd book that appeals, you can redownload it then. I know there's a sentimental aspect to keeping your mother's library, but it's not serving a purpose and you've wasted too much time on it already.

All this is just MHO, of course!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #4511
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I recently purged my Kindle account of all the random freebies. They just add clutter and hinder access to the books you actually want to read. IMO.
I can understand someone feeling that way, but as a hoarder I'll just let them stay there "just in case". You never know....

But they're not all downloaded to my Paperwhite, so that helps.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #4512
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If they're public domain, get rid of them all. When and if you run across a reference to a pd book that appeals, you can redownload it then. I know there's a sentimental aspect to keeping your mother's library, but it's not serving a purpose and you've wasted too much time on it already.

All this is just MHO, of course!
There's the fact that it's useful to be able to honestly tell her that I've already got that book and maybe someone in the family want to read them. As they don't take up too much space or make it harder to find the books I want to read there's no problem with keeping them. I might remove the books that still don't have blurbs as there's little chance that they'll be read.

And the time spent on those books won't be regained by deleting them, I just have to remember not to waste time on unlikely to be read books like that again.

Last edited by ekbell; 03-04-2018 at 06:03 PM.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:45 AM   #4513
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post

Not really But good if you can
I have them all
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:51 AM   #4514
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
I do spend a lot of time organising my book collection in calibre.
Have bought 3 books already this month though.
But now I am adding Ebooks I've had for a long while, also to my tablet to read.
Narrowing the free ones down to if the 1st chapter is no good...delete.
However its filling my tablet storage.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #4515
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I had a bit of a lapse at the weekend, and bought 4 paperbacks from a charity shop. Two of them are actually omnibuses, so it's a 6-book hit to my TBR, and definitely in breach of my own guidelines: the two omnibuses complete a series I haven't even started yet (Michael J Sullivan's Riyria Revelations) and the other two were by an author I already have 3 or 4 unread books by (Alastair Reynolds), although at least they were on my wishlist.

"But it's only £8 and it's for charity" has a lot to answer for.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote