Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Plugin icons missing from Toolbar after system crash

Hullo, my Windows 10 laptop blue-screened last night due to a power driver failure. Anyway, my laptop seems ok after the restart, but I also had to reinstall Calibre. My library is fine (as far as I can tell), but my toolbar is missing all the Plugin icons. I double checked the plugins. It said they're installed and just to make sure I went through and ran Install on them without doing an uninstall first. They installed fine but the icons still don't show up after restarting Calibre. So questions:
1) Do I need to uninstall and reinstall each of my 25 plugins? 2) Is there anyway to uninstall all of them at one time? 3) Also, does Calibre need to be restarted after each individual plugin is reinstalled, ie restart Calibre 25 times? [NOTE: I tried uninstall/reinstall/restart with a couple of plugins and the icons still don't show in the Toolbar.]

Last edited by meghane_e; 06-22-2018 at 12:21 PM.
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences:Toolbars

You add or remove icons here
Remember: there are different toolbars for when a device is attached, so add to both if that is what applies for its usage.
for some (typ when applies to a single title), I put them on the context menu
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
meghane_e
Connoisseur

Completely forgot I had checked that already before posting here, sorry. The first time, I did have to manually go through and move them to the active pane. So now, they're there even after many many restarts and a few plugin re-installs, but they still don't show up on the toolbar. Here's an image.
[EDIT: Throwing in an img of the Installed plugins too.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toolbar-Icon-Setup.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	164620   Click image for larger version

Name:	User-plugins-installed-capture.PNG
Views:	183
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	164621  

Last edited by meghane_e; 06-22-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@meghane-e - do you have a device attached? If so what happens when you unattach/eject the device? As theducks posted, different toolbar setups are used when you have and don't have a device attached.

Do any of the icons show in the toolbars, e.g. Preferences and Edit Book? Or is it just the optional plugins?

Is there is a chevron ('>>') at the right-hand end of the toolbar, if so, click it and the missing icons will probably appear.

Added: I suggest you backup your configuration folder, see How do I backup calibre?. It unlikely to be very big, zipped up mine is about 15KB.

Make sure you know how to restore it, and try doing so. I've come across situations where backups exist, but the owner hasn't a clue as to what to do with them when they need to do restore; and I'm not only referring to individuals, some pretty big businesses too.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-22-2018 at 07:40 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
meghane_e
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@meghane-e - do you have a device attached? If so what happens when you unattach/eject the device? As theducks posted, different toolbar setups are used when you have and don't have a device attached ... BR
Thank you for your time and patience, ducks and BetterRed! It didn't occur to me to do a 'Device -> Eject' because I haven't had an external device (via USB or bluetooth) plugged into my laptop in at least 3 weeks. Just laptop, only laptop. So guess what, I Ejected the (non-existent?) device and the correct main menu is now displaying correctly. Thank you for the impetus to try that. Does Calibre interpret an external memory card slot as a device? I do have an HD card in the slot. That's the only thing I can think of. Unless... other ideas?

Summary: Prior to the laptop crash the other night, the menu bar and optional plugin icons displayed as expected, ie 'main menu bar' without device attached. After the restart, Calibre required a reinstall/repair, then calibre forced me to run through the Welcome Wizard (couldn't get it started otherwise). The newly-setup Calibre's menu bar displayed the menu of 'main menu bar with device attached' but in the Toolbars & Menus config tool, it had shown up as 'main menu bar'. So was that just out of sync, a one-off?

A few questions I have after this experience:
1) Is there a way to pin a fully expanded menu bar open? It makes it hard to make screen captures when needed.
2) Is an external HD card (storage D:\) considered a device?
3) Does Calibre automatically add any 'connected' device after a restart/repair? My Calibre Library is on my C:\ drive, though I make backups every few months to the D:\ drive.

ps- I could tell y'all were frustrated I didn't provide the right details I was 'assuming' the image would explain that the icons were all on the 'main menu bar' but turn out I didn't give you adequate data Terribly sorry for that and thank you for your patience.
Advert
Old 06-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You probably had a 'Connect to folder' device setup. Those don't always go away between calibre sessions
Yes D: CAN be a device
Old 06-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
A few questions I have after this experience:
1) Is there a way to pin a fully expanded menu bar open? It makes it hard to make screen captures when needed.
If you do a Print Screen it should capture expanded/drop down/context menus, some systems have a specific key, other use a modified key; the one I'm using now uses Fn+Insert, my old laptop uses something else.
Quote:
2) Is an external HD card (storage D:\) considered a device?
Don't know
Quote:
3) Does Calibre automatically add any 'connected' device after a restart/repair? My Calibre Library is on my C:\ drive, though I make backups every few months to the D:\ drive.
Not that I know of, but if you backup your calibre configuration (see previous post). when something goes amiss you can restore it and you'll have your settings, customisations etc as they were.

Quote:
ps- I could tell y'all were frustrated I didn't provide the right details I was 'assuming' the image would explain that the icons were all on the 'main menu bar' but turn out I didn't give you adequate data Terribly sorry for that and thank you for your patience.
Frustrated, me - never Except when I post a Greek sigh

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

With the Windows snipping tool, you can set a capture DELAY. Enough time to reopen whatever