Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What friendly book will we read in June?
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian 7 53.85%
A Catskill Eagle by Robert B. Parker 3 23.08%
My Brilliant Friend by Elana Ferrante 5 38.46%
Absolute Friends by John Le Carré 6 46.15%
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas 8 61.54%
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman 4 30.77%
Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery 5 38.46%
The Little White Bird by J.M. Barrie 6 46.15%
The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff 2 15.38%
Truth and Beauty: A Friendship by Ann Patchett 3 23.08%
Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #76
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Isn't dumbing down a comic book a redundancy?
Dem's fightin words.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Hey, I grew up on comic books!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Dem's fightin words.
Forgive me, o learned ladies!

All I really meant to do was comment on a regrettable tendency to make already accessible media less interesting. It reminds me of how when the Nancy Drew books were "modernized" they were also, yes, dumbed down. The rewritten books were shorter, with less complex sentences and an easier vocabulary. I loved Nancy and that was a loss, and, face it, she wasn't exactly in the highly challenging category in the first place. A little challenge is a good thing.

I wonder what Classic Comics "excavated" when they put out the revamped comic?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #78
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
It reminds me of how when the Nancy Drew books were "modernized" they were also, yes, dumbed down.

This was definitely in my weekly comic subscription yesterday.
astrangerhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #79
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Forgive me, o learned ladies!

All I really meant to do was comment on a regrettable tendency to make already accessible media less interesting. It reminds me of how when the Nancy Drew books were "modernized" they were also, yes, dumbed down. The rewritten books were shorter, with less complex sentences and an easier vocabulary. I loved Nancy and that was a loss, and, face it, she wasn't exactly in the highly challenging category in the first place. A little challenge is a good thing.

I wonder what Classic Comics "excavated" when they put out the revamped comic?
I agree with you re Nancy Drew, but in the case of Classics Illustrated, should we not simply call the later version a new translation?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I'd be interested to know that. One could guess a chapter at a time, but it's hard to be sure without some confirmation against accounts of the period. (For me, it started to pick up at around 50%. I'm quite enjoying it now, but only in the Hobson eBook. I abandoned the audio book based on the Victorian translation.)
After some internet sleuthing, I have discovered that it was indeed published one chapter at a time (in the Parisian newspaper Le Siècle from March 14, 1844 to July 1, 1844). I expected that answer to be too obvious to be true!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #81
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
After some internet sleuthing, I have discovered that it was indeed published one chapter at a time (in the Parisian newspaper Le Siècle from March 14, 1844 to July 1, 1844). I expected that answer to be too obvious to be true!
Well sleuthed, Bookworm_Girl!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #82
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Well done -- thanks for that confirmation. It fits with the overall feel, so I can't say I'm surprised. But good sleuthing!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote