Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
faraz
faraz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Talking Calibre Update/Install App for OS X

My lazy ass felt updating calibre was a chore, so I sensibly spent several hours writing a script to do that for me.

Now I've bundle an updated version of the script into an app!
You can download the app and source from the GitHub repository. Please post any bugs or suggestions here or on the repository's issues page.

calibre Installer in Action!

faraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
faraz

Release v1.1

calibre Installer has been updated!

Changes:
  • Fix for bug discovered by Chase Nordengren
  • Download window no longer closes automatically to allow for easy access to output in case of failure; truly a quick hack for logging failures
  • Logging output to log file removed as it now can be accessed from the window
Advert
Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Skeldave
Skeldave began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Wonderful - Thank you!

Edit: Just opened Calibre and i'm still on the same version. When I run the updater it retrieves the current version I have installed (0.9.35) rather than 0.9.43

Quote:
Quitting calibre...
Downloading the calibre release feed from http://code.google.com/feeds/p/calib...ownloads/basic...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
100 12397 0 12397 0 0 55704 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 65247
Downloading calibre image from http://calibre-ebook.googlecode.com/...bre-0.9.35.dmg...

Last edited by Skeldave; 08-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Skeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeldave View Post
Edit: Just opened Calibre and i'm still on the same version. When I run the updater it retrieves the current version I have installed (0.9.35) rather than 0.9.43
It doesn't look like calibre uses http://code.google.com/feeds/p/calib...ownloads/basic anymore for the location of the current release. If you go into the script and change the existing link to http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/osx32 the script might start working again.

The current calibre update is always available from this page.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Skeldave
Skeldave began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
It doesn't look like calibre uses http://code.google.com/feeds/p/calib...ownloads/basic anymore for the location of the current release. If you go into the script and change the existing link to http://status.calibre-ebook.com/dist/osx32 the script might start working again.

The current calibre update is always available from this page.
I've just had a quick look but I keep getting a HTTP error from the url you provided (It works in my browser, but not in this app) and tmp/calibre-feed isn't much help.

I'll have another go later on.
Skeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeldave View Post
I've just had a quick look but I keep getting a HTTP error from the url you provided (It works in my browser, but not in this app) and tmp/calibre-feed isn't much help.
I guess you'll have to wait to see if the person who wrote the script stops by. Until then you'll have use the calibre download page like the rest of us.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
faraz

Release v1.2

calibre Installer has been updated to address the issues above.

Changes:

Note that this script may have issues if a prior version of calibre is already mounted. Expect an update with a fix soon.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Even more automatic

I was just randomly perusing the forums, and re-discovered this thread.

I apologize for not sharing earlier, but I have been using this app for a while now, and it works great....but what I have also done is integrate it into OSX's calendar, so it runs automatically at 4am every Sunday morning.

I can't recall exactly how I did it - it was a while ago - but it was something like, set a recurring appointment once per week, and then, if I recall correctly (I am away from my Mac at the moment) click the "reminder" (?) button, click something like attach file, or open app, or attach file or something like that, point it at wherever you have saved the app, and it'll run at this time each week, and you'll always have an up-to-date Calibre.

The way I have described it sounds complicated, but just follow your nose.
If I can work it out, anyone can......but if anyone needs the step-by-step, I can write it up when I get back to my Mac in the next day or so.

H
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
faraz

If you do write it up, I'd me more than happy to add it the README.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I wrote a CLI updater for linux, and then ported it (I think, I'm not a Mac person) to OSX. Check it out here: https://github.com/eli-schwartz/calibre-installer/
It's run as a launchd task, just like on linux I use a systemd timer.

If you can test it and it works as expected, I would be totally OK with having it linked as an alternative method in the OP.
Or feel free to loot my methodology for ideas, e.g. checking for updated versions.

P.S. Take a look at how I installed the command-line tools. Well worth doing IMHO.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-16-2015 at 05:45 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoupdate, calibre