Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #196
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm curious: why would you want to add weight to Veleka when there is a setting in the Kindle to do it?

By the way, there is a strange bug with Veleka (and some other fonts) and my Voyage. With boldness set to 0, if I switch from one book to another, then back to the first book, and I turn the page, the Kindle jumps to the first page of the next chapter (only with AZW3 books, I've charged to the Knidle with Calibre). OTOH, if the boldness set to 1, no problem. Weird!

Last edited by Pyjam; 06-28-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #197
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
With boldness set to 0, if I switch from one book to another, then back to the first book, and I turn the page, the Kindle jumps to the first page of the next chapter (only with AZW3 books, I've charged to the Knidle with Calibre). OTOH, if the boldness set to 1, no problem. Weird!
I had this problem with firmware 5.9.6, with 5.9.6.1 everything seems to be fine.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #198
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
If I may ask, why don't you just use the bold option on your kindle?
Because I use it in more contexts, and I need a good base font: Kindle, KOreader+Kindle, Kobo, KOreader+Kobo.

When I generated the weighted fonts, I had an extra error message and the new ttf file was not generated. I will try again, to double check. I only emboldened by 10 em units.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #199
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Quote:
I had this problem with firmware 5.9.6, with 5.9.6.1 everything seems to be fine.
I have reinstalled 5.9.6.1 : no success.

I will avoid boldness 0 for a while. At least, now I know it's not a personal issue. Thanks for your answer.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #200
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
... I need a good base font: Kindle, KOreader+Kindle, Kobo, KOreader+Kobo.
OK, I can understand that. I've been looking for a base font for a while and gave up. With so many devices with different resolutions, different ppi and different render engines I found it nearly impossible to have just one base font for all. Or maybe I just gave up too soon

If you still encounter problems with FontForge, PM me. I will add some weight to Veleka and send you the fonts via Dropbox.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #201
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
OK, I can understand that. I've been looking for a base font for a while and gave up. With so many devices with different resolutions, different ppi and different render engines I found it nearly impossible to have just one base font for all. Or maybe I just gave up too soon
Right. I believe that I have to train three animals, not four:

- Kindle Voyage, 300 dpi
- Kobo Aura One, 300 dpi
- KOReader installed on a device with 300 dpi

If we follow the greatest common divisor of all these, we may find the attributes that are common to all of the above.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #202
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
If we follow the greatest common divisor of all these, we may find the attributes that are common to all of the above.
So far Veleka with added 10 weight looks promising on my Oasis and Ka1 , also with Cool Reader and KOReader. PM sent.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #203
Pyjam
Zealot

Thumbs up

A very nice font: Reforma.

Exists in three flavors: 1918, 1969, and 2018.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 AM   #204
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I think I've found The Font To Rule Them All: Merriweather. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I downloaded it, but it was a free font. It's very elegant, but doesn't call attention to itself.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #205
khron
khron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G/PW2/Voyage + Kobo Glo
it's available on google fonts, it's tall yet relatively thin font, I am using it on kindle since custom fonts were avaliable in font menu

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Me...ather:400,400i

[edit] BTW on kobo devices there is malabar font

https://www.linotype.com/5831/malabar.html

Last edited by khron; 12-03-2018 at 09:47 AM.
khron is offline   Reply With Quote