Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #30361
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
I picked up The Eyewitness, by Ernst Weiss from the Archive site. I downloaded both PDF and the epub.

The epub was so clean that I decided to clean it up completely. It took between 3-4 hours of casual work, and now it looks like a retail version - if one existed in epub.

I'm 1/3 of the way through it, and I'm thoroughly engrossed in his writing. But then, I like this type of writing...reflective, thought-provoking, slow-paced (but always interesting to me), engrossing, and thoroughly modernist.

Next read will be Kzradock the Onion Man and the Spring-Fresh Methuselah: From the Notes of Dr. Renard De Montpensier , by Louis Levy, actually available from Amazon or Kobo as an ebook (Partners was still viable yesterday, but only at 20% off). If you like weird and neglected literary fiction, then a visit to Wakefield Press is highly recommended. Unfortunately, most of their books are only available in paper.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-03-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #30362
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
For December, I'm reading from The Big Book of Christmas Mysteries (edited by Otto Penzler) and last night I read a witty story from it, Boxing Unclever by Robert Barnard. This is the first time I'm encountering this author and I like his style but, alas, my library has only two of his novels. When I checked out his Wikipedia profile, I wasn't surprised to read that Agatha Christie was his favourite author, because the story brought to mind one of her novels.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:30 AM   #30363
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Dirge by Alan Dean Foster. The second in his "Founding of the Commonwealth" series. I read the first back in 2013 and liked it. It's about time I got onto the second one!
Luckily stand-alone. Odd that after emphasising the differences of opinion in individuals of various races, one alien race is presented as a unified whole.

4/5

Next up: The Body Human by Nancy Kress.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:14 AM   #30364
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: The Body Human by Nancy Kress.
Three near-future dystopias. Good, but not my preferred topic. 4/5

Next up: The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. I read this in paper many, many years ago, an I remember enjoying it. I also remember what the Dark is, but it will be interesting to see how much more I remember, and whether I still enjoy it.
Old 12-06-2021, 01:44 AM   #30365
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next, library loan, Spy School Secret Service by Stuart Gibbs.
An excellent addition to the series. I enjoyed this one more than the previous Ski School. A little rushed at the end, I thought, with regard to the wrapping up but still this was very witty with a twist here and there. Rated B+ [4 stars].

It appears I have the sequel to In the Labyrinth by John Bierce which I recently gave a one-star rating. I'll try a few chapters to see if Jewel of the Endless Erg is any better, otherwise, it's dropped like a wet towel.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #30366
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've finally started reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Steifvater. I wasn't sure I was going to like it at first but I've got into it now..

I'm not sure if I'll want to continue the series yet but I'm on a quest to finish reading series books I've had waiting.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:10 PM   #30367
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I've started listening to Colm Tóibín's new book The Magician on my commutes, bike rides and rows. I thought it started pretty slowly (and even a little dully), but it's rather picked up now.

Still reading Ada Palmer's Terra Ignota on my Kobo in the evenings.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #30368
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I've started listening to Colm Tóibín's new book The Magician on my commutes, bike rides and rows. I thought it started pretty slowly (and even a little dully), but it's rather picked up now.
I’ve got this in ebook, but haven’t started it yet, as with so many books this year. While I’m always looking for good listens, the ebook may work out for me, since when you read, you can pick up speed over the dull bits.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:20 PM   #30369
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ve got this in ebook, but haven’t started it yet, as with so many books this year. While I’m always looking for good listens, the ebook may work out for me, since when you read, you can pick up speed over the dull bits.
I had a conversation with my wife about it. I love Tóibín generally, but I was waiting for a spark in this one. I found it with the appearance of a prominent female character. They are generally the guiding lights in his books, and this one seems no different.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:59 AM   #30370
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Just now finished one novella - Schoolgirl, by Osamu Dazai.

Finished Blood-Sucking Monkeys From North Tonawanda, a wonderfully wild and crazy collection of four short stories by Crad Kilodney. The ebook was kindly donated to me.

I'm one-half through The Eyewitness, by Ernst Weiss.

Still reading (but in sporadic bursts) Horn, by D. Keith Mano.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #30371
db105
Connoisseur
db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.db105 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Planet of Adventure by Jack Vance.

An explorer from Earth gets stranded on an planet with several alien species living on it. There are also human beings who seem to be descended from people taken from Earth thousands of years in the past.

This is very much pulp fiction, with a lot of action and direct to the point. It's a collection of four rather short novels that are often published together as one book, since they are four parts of the same story.

It reminded me a lot of Edgar Rice Burroughs' work, only more science fictional and better written. Vance's ability to describe interesting alien cultures is clearly shown. Quite a good read, with the agile and entertaining nature of its pulp roots, but also with its limitations (do not expect deep characterization).
db105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #30372
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
Fifteen percent into Margaret Tudeau-Clayton's Shakespeare's Englishes: Against Englishness. A very interesting read so far, definitely not one that I can speed read on my e-reader, including as it does a lot of quotations of material in unmodernized EME, but happily as the first PDF I'm reading on my Sage, KOReader is doing a great job of making the reading experience as comfortable as an epub.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:35 AM   #30373
spacepope
Connoisseur
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Over the past few days I've finished Aurora's End (Aurora Cycle #3) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (★★★★), Concrete Rose Angie Thomas (★★★), and Promise of Blood (Powder Mage #1) by Brian McClellan (★★★★).

Trying to figure out what to read next too much YA recently... Not really into it and definitely need to be more picky (though I really did enjoy the Aurora Cycle, despite it's soap opera overtones)

Last edited by spacepope; 12-09-2021 at 07:38 AM.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:48 AM   #30374
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
Just over half way through Shakespeare's Englishes: Against Englishness and I'm going back to Il Gattopardo. It says a lot about how seldom I read densely argued academic-style writing that I'm switching from My L1 to my L3 for a break because it will be less mentally taxing!
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:38 AM   #30375
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. I read this in paper many, many years ago, an I remember enjoying it. I also remember what the Dark is, but it will be interesting to see how much more I remember, and whether I still enjoy it.
I enjoyed it again, although perhaps not as much as the first time. 4/5

Next up was Landed Gently by Alan Hunter. A country house murder mystery set in a renamed Norfolk. Fun, as expected.

And now: Lightspeed Magazine #11, edited by J. J. Adams. A random pick from the TBR.