Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-30-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Shelfie is shutting down tomorrow, Jan 31 2017

Just a head's up that Shelfie is shutting down tomorrow on the 31st. If you have any ebooks from them, now's the time to back them up.

From their website:

http://www.shelfie.com/
Quote:
We regret to inform you that Shelfie will be ceasing operations on January 31, 2017.

What this means for Shelfie users:

Our servers will be shutting down on January 31. You can re-download any DRM-free books between now and then.
You no longer have access to DRM (.acsm) books.
Your app will cease to function in a meaningful way on January 31.
We started Shelfie with the idea of connecting books and readers and we have worked hard over the past four years to make that a reality. We are grateful for the support we have received from amazing readers like you, who have been a part of Shelfie.

Keep reading,

The Shelfie Team
Shelfie was an app where you took pictures of your deadtree book collection and could purchase free or discounted ebook versions. I think there was some social aspect, as well, but I didn't use it very much so I'm not entirely sure!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
A useless app. I never found one book I was looking for. And giving people one day to grab and hack all their drm books? Just another example of the dangers of drm and ecosystems.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
A useless app. I never found one book I was looking for. And giving people one day to grab and hack all their drm books? Just another example of the dangers of drm and ecosystems.
No, that's one day to download their NON-DRM books. The DRM books are already gone.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Never heard of them.

Won't miss them.

Don't need them.

Goodbye.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As soon as you purchase an eBook, download it. Don't wait until the shop shuts to then complain about losing your eBooks. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2017, 06:24 AM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Never heard of them.

Won't miss them.

Don't need them.

Goodbye.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As soon as you purchase an eBook, download it. Don't wait until the shop shuts to then complain about losing your eBooks. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
And this.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Never heard of them.

Won't miss them.

Don't need them.

Goodbye.
I disagree entirely. They let me legally digitize a huge chunk of my library for a reasonable price without having to scan stuff myself. And they gave me a way as an ereader to still get books as presents.

They'll very much be missed by me.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
I got digital versions of a few books and immediately downloaded them. I could never figure out how to even read the ones with DRM in any reader application using ADE so I had to do something else.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, you can't do that with ebooks from a few companies.

Barnes & Noble with their Nook books used to permit it, but don't now. Your advice would have been great if I had heard it before they changed.

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, B&N didn't give any advance notice, like Shelfie, and some other ebook companies did before going out of business. At B&N, you could download one day, and the next day you couldn't (I know that for a fact, because I had that happen to me).

B&N and Walmart are two of a handful of companies that I hope to see experience a slow, agonizing death. The only tears that I shed will be tears of joy.

ADDENDUM: Sears is a third company.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-31-2017 at 07:21 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:52 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Never heard of them.

Won't miss them.

Don't need them.

Goodbye.
If I had a nickel for every time there's been a thread announcing something I had never even heard of is shutting down....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:48 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Barnes & Noble with their Nook books used to permit it, but don't now. Your advice would have been great if I had heard it before they changed.

Oh, and as far as I'm aware, B&N didn't give any advance notice, like Shelfie, and some other ebook companies did before going out of business. At B&N, you could download one day, and the next day you couldn't (I know that for a fact, because I had that happen to me).
No, I think it was a post from Library Addict here on MR that brought that terrible B&N policy to peoples attention (nothing from B&N until folks asked them after the fact).

While it's not officially supported by B&N anymore I've been able to download everything I get there using their old Nook PC and Nook Study programs thankfully. I don't generally shop there (never have), but a few times they've sent me $5 promo credits and I'm not one to turn away free $$$ and I have a ton of Fictionwise books there as well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 AM   #12
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, I think it was a post from Library Addict here on MR that brought that terrible B&N policy to peoples attention (nothing from B&N until folks asked them after the fact).
I may have written in a confusing way. I never meant to say or imply that I was the first one to learn of the problem.

I don't know who first brought up news about the change--it seems like I may have seen it reported on the News or Discussion thread. I'm pretty sure that people discussed it on a thread like the Freebies, Bargains and Resources thread, too. I know that I spewed quite a bit of vitriol about it somewhere in this E-book General forum--maybe more than once or twice.

My memory, which certainly may be faulty, is that I found out the problem more or less simultaneously as Library Addict, or whoever, on this forum. I specifically remember making a rather long post, in this forum, about how a B&N customer service person gave me the runaround when I tried to get a straight answer about why I was no longer able to download the books in my library and whether or not the policy had changed, etc. Or, it might be that Library Addict or someone else mentioned it, and then I did some checking of my Nook library on my own. I just don't remember.

And, frankly, I don't care who brought it up first. It doesn't matter one iota to me. I don't care who gets credit for the discovering the beginning of "that terrible B&N policy." And, again, I never meant to imply that I was the one who did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While it's not officially supported by B&N anymore I've been able to download everything I get there using their old Nook PC and Nook Study programs thankfully. I don't generally shop there (never have), but a few times they've sent me $5 promo credits and I'm not one to turn away free $$$ and I have a ton of Fictionwise books there as well.
Yeah, I'm familiar with workarounds, tricks, hacks, tips, etc. to download them anyway. I just don't want to take the time to do all of that work right now (I'm still planning "one of these days" to convert all of my video tapes to DVD's. ha). And, I don't have the equipment to do it, I'd have to buy it.

I'm just crossing my fingers that nothing will cause the books to just disappear one of these days. I don't know if B&N could legally let that happen or not. But a bankruptcy would let you get by with a lot of stuff that you otherwise wouldn't be allowed to do. I didn't learn until maybe a year and a half ago that when we "buy" ebooks, we technically don't own them like we would buying a dead-tree book--we only buy a license or some such thing. It's all a crock if you ask me.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 AM   #13
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Well, you can't do that with ebooks from a few companies.

I think you're being a bit unfair to B&N. When they shut down Fictionwise and EReader.com (or whatever the sister site was), they gave advanced warning, and transferred most of the ebooks over to B&N, albeit imperfectly, and never fixed the errors (at least in my experience). They discontinued the ability to download ebooks from their website via a browser without warning. They stopped supporting the PC Nook applications for Windows 7 and earlier, without warning, but the last time I checked, you can still download the app from B&N if you know where to look, and it will still download ebooks to your PC (sometimes) and you can read them within the app. You can download ebooks to Windows 8 and Windows 10 with the app from the Windows Store. I don't know about the Nook and Mac OS. Within the last 6 months, I installed the Windows 7 app and downloaded all of my B&N ebooks to a new PC automatically, although I usually use the Windows 8.1 app to download a couple of ebooks, because I usually have to do something like delete all my books and reinstall the windows 7 app to get it to work.

You can't download Kindle books from the Amazon website from the browser either. You have to do that from their Kindle app. I don't see many people whining about that, except when they get bitten by a new Kindle version with a new DRM implementation. Kobo lets you download your books from the browser, but it's quite a pain to download hundreds of books.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:58 AM   #14
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
You can actually download books from Amazon within the browser. But you still need to have a Kindle or at least a device ID registered to this account.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
You can't download Kindle books from the Amazon website from the browser either. You have to do that from their Kindle app. I don't see many people whining about that, except when they get bitten by a new Kindle version with a new DRM implementation. Kobo lets you download your books from the browser, but it's quite a pain to download hundreds of books.
You can download Kindle ebooks from the Amazon website, via Manage Your Contents and Devices/Books page.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote