Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #31
namenick
namenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy bluenamenick can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo glo hd
@NiLuJe: I just rolled back to 3.15 and made some tests. Plugged in the wall adapter, my glo hd goes to sleep closing the sleep cover or pressing the button. With 3.17/3.17.3 firmware, it doesn't.

Last edited by namenick; 08-20-2015 at 07:00 AM.
namenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #32
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Could you explain what the "Pinch to Zoom" bug is please. I don't have an Aura but if you can describe the issue will make sure it's passed on to the devs.
You can use a two-finger pinch to adjust the font size, but the problem is that using the two-finger swipe to adjust the light intensity can sometimes register as a pinch, so you can find yourself drastically changing the size of text, which is annoying. Kobo introduced the ability to disable two-finger pinch to adjust the font size in an earlier firmware, but as of version 3.16, unchecking the feature in the settings doesn't actually disable it. This bug apparently exists in 3.17.3 as well.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #33
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
You can use a two-finger pinch to adjust the font size, but the problem is that using the two-finger swipe to adjust the light intensity can sometimes register as a pinch, so you can find yourself drastically changing the size of text, which is annoying. Kobo introduced the ability to disable two-finger pinch to adjust the font size in an earlier firmware, but as of version 3.16, unchecking the feature in the settings doesn't actually disable it. This bug apparently exists in 3.17.3 as well.
It actually does disable it for me in 3.17.3 but only for kepubs.
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #34
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have chatted with a kobo rep about this 'pinch to adjust the font size' issue, and he told me he would inform the Devs.

edit, chatted back and asked if they got the message, apparently "the chat on 08/04/2015 which was already escalated and it is regarding the "Pinch to Zoom " option"
so next release...maybe.

Last edited by freekobo; 08-20-2015 at 08:18 AM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #35
IanD
Enthusiast
IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IanD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by namenick View Post
as I said, I'm, sorry for my bad english.
No need to apologise! I understood you perfectly, and in any case I'm sure your English is a lot better than my <insert name of your home country here> .

Quote:
Originally Posted by namenick View Post
I mean something like this
It's not supplied with kobo devices, but charges them without problems. Btw the use of a wall adapter is expected by Kobo.
But with the 3.17 firmware this doesn't let kobo go in sleep mode. It worked with 3.16, 3.15, other kobo products and cells. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue.
That does sound like a software problem, I agree. If the only thing you change is the software, and the behaviour changes, then software it almost certainly is.

My thinking about using a wall socket is that it can change the current supplied - as compared to the usual PC USB socket. That in turn could be detected by the firmware and cause different behaviour. Might not though, I have no idea really.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #36
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The firmware does detect certain chargers (it does not ask to connect to PC with them, for example, because the firmware knows there is no PC).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #37
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's all well and good, but on my end, it's (correctly) not detected as a wall charger (i.e., I get to 'Cancel' the connect to computer popup), and it really doesn't let me put it to sleep ;p.

Although, IIRC, that was after a reboot with the thing plugged in. I'll try a clean, unplugged, cold reboot, because I'm used to all kinds of weird and funky behaviour with the USB stack on iMX5 devices... .

EDIT: Nope, no dice.

Not that's it's a terribly critical issue, but, still, it makes testing sleep screen related stuff slightly more annoying .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-20-2015 at 09:21 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #38
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A minor glitch, not sure if new in 3.17.3, but I did not notice before.

The "Computer connected" popup is drawn twice, first time a small window with incomplete image, then another time large complete image. Hard to make a photo of as it's only there for a fraction of a second... ended up using my stone age smart phone video camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	141250  
Old 08-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #39
throsu
Enthusiast
throsu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five wordsthrosu can name that ebook in five words

Device: kobo aura h2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

The "Computer connected" popup is drawn twice, first time a small window with incomplete image, then another time large complete image. Hard to make a photo of as it's only there for a fraction of a second... ended up using my stone age smart phone video camera
Noticed it also in 3.17.0.
throsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #40
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post

Wow, u are fast I didn't managed to make one..

Patches for 3.17.3 thanks to Geoffr:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264271
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 AM   #41
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
On my Glo I noticed something different with the top margin when reading ePubs -- in normal reading mode there is no longer a fixed top margin of about 15px, the text can now go right to the top of the screen, same as it has always been in full-screen mode.

(of course any @page margin set in the book's stylesheet will still be in effect, so you might need to set the @page margin to zero to see this change.)

I'm not sure how big the built-in top margin was on other devices, is it now gone on all devices?

I don't know if everyone will like this change, but I do.

Edit: The change might be related to one of the patches I am using. Something has changed with the way the top margin is set, but a patch might be needed to get the benefit from it.

Edit2: Actually it looks like it is just a transient effect that happens when switching from full-screen mode to normal mode. After closing the book and re-opening it again in normal mode, the built-in top margin is back :-(

Last edited by GeoffR; 08-20-2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Only happens when switching from full-screen mode to normal mode inside a book.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #42
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frostschutz: Yup, noticed that on 3.17.0, too.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #43
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I have chatted with a kobo rep about this 'pinch to adjust the font size' issue, and he told me he would inform the Devs.

edit, chatted back and asked if they got the message, apparently "the chat on 08/04/2015 which was already escalated and it is regarding the "Pinch to Zoom " option"
so next release...maybe.
Thanks for running this up the chain. Looks like I'll be sticking with 3.12.1 for the time being.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #44
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Sync appears to be super-fast, as in almost instant. But when I try to turn off the wi-fi after it has finished I get a message saying that sync is not complete and asking if I want to cancel sync. So it seems that sync is not actually faster, it is just running in the background.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #45
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
So it seems that sync is not actually faster, it is just running in the background.
It also always connects wifi when waking up from standby, not sure what it does there...