Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I highly doubt it's millions. A lot of people here on MR sideload stuff using various methods, but I'd venture to say that the average Kindle user buys their books from Amazon and live happily within that ecosystem without venturing outside of it. Can't say how many who do sideload or use the PDS care about syncing let alone being able to reset it (I've used Kindle's since 2008 and used the PDS half a dozen times in all that time and read many hundreds of sideloaded books). That's not to minimize the issue as I'm sure there are plenty of folks who do have the same problem.

I'd suggest making your feelings known to kindle-feedback@amazon.com at least it seems to have been a good avenue for change being made to features in the past.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 AM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
So you're saying that info is stored on whispersync's server and not the device or the app? If so then there's no chance of fixing it. All of my personal documents go through the server (not side-loaded) because it's the only way they'll sync across my other devices.
The "sync" part of whispersync would be the indication that the info is stored in both places.

Assuming you had NOT synced the device, deleting the .sdr folder would wipe the data before Amazon got its grubby little paws on it.

If the data had synced, then Amazon assumes you lost the data and "helpfully" restores it for you.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 12:54 AM   #18
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Ok, so maybe tens of thousands? At the very least, thousands. There are millions of Kindle owners, but the vast majority don't use forums, so it's hard to gauge. But even if only ONE percent of ONE million kindle owners purchased books outside of Amazon, that's still ten thousand. Am I the only one of them who uses whispersync?

Granted, a lot of people probably side-load, but surely this must be an issue for more than just a few isolated users.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #19
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The "sync" part of whispersync would be the indication that the info is stored in both places.
I know, I guess I was just hoping that the deletion of the folder synced to the server as well, and would reset the whole thing.

Quote:
Assuming you had NOT synced the device, deleting the .sdr folder would wipe the data before Amazon got its grubby little paws on it.
It did work before I synced it. The problem is, I need to sync between the two devices I read on, which can't be done without syncing.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:50 AM   #20
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
Go to the first page on both devises and see if it works (on the kindle you can still do what i said before). Dont press "sync and check for items"

Last edited by user743; 05-21-2014 at 01:53 AM.
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #21
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
No you will not. You will lose the kindle's offline record of the annotations data.

When next connecting to WiFi, it will/should redownload all that data... although if the book was sideloaded and didn't go through the Personal Documents service, you would've been right.
As long as you have one device, amazon records your new place, as the last page record. but if you have two devices amazon records the furthest current location on any device. I only have one device so I'm not sure about the second statement.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 AM   #22
user743
Addict

"last page read" means time wise not further in the book
Old 05-21-2014, 03:18 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by user743 View Post
You're confusing two different things.

The Kindle remembers what page you're currently on in a book. That's stored locally on the Kindle, and has nothing to do with syncing.

What's being discussed in this thread is not that, but the fact that Whispersync stores on Amazon's servers (if you have it enabled) the further point you've reached in the book on any device you've read it on, and will move the reading position to that point if you open the book on a different device to the one that you were most recently reading on.

These are separate and unrelated features.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #24
user743
Addict

and therefore?
Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
and therefore?
and therefore talking about "last page read" is of no particular relevance in a thread which is discussing furthest page read, a totally different thing.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #26
user743
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What's being discussed in this thread is not that, but the fact that Whispersync stores on Amazon's servers (if you have it enabled) the further point you've reached in the book on any device you've read it on, and will move the reading position to that point if you open the book on a different device to the one that you were most recently reading on.
It's not "the further point you've reached in the book" rather "the further point you're at now in the book"(on any device)

Last edited by user743; 05-21-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It's not "the further point you've reached in the book" rather "the further point you're at now in the book"(on any device)
No, it's not; it's the furthest point you've ever got to on any device you've read the book on. That can cause problems if you jump to an endnote at the end of the book, because that then becomes the further page read location. That's why Amazon added the facility to reset it to the "Manager My Kindle" page.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 AM   #28
user743
Addict

i surender i got mixtup between "sync and check for items" and "sync to last page read" so i didnt have any problems going backwards and checking for items.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #29
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by user743;2834808[B
Dont[/B] press "sync and check for items"
You don't understand. I have to sync. It's the whole reason for this thread.

If I don't sync, then I can't download any new books.

But more importantly, the whole reason I started this thread is because I switch back and forth between my Paperwhite (at home) and the iPhone app (when I'm out). So I need to be able to sync each one to pick up where the other left off.

Quote:
Not true. Whispersync saves the furthest page (distance) not the last (most recent) page.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
You don't understand. I have to sync. It's the whole reason for this thread.

If I don't sync, then I can't download any new books.
Not true. Downloading new books is a separate process to syncing reading location between devices. You can switch off location syncing from the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon site, while still retaining the ability to download books.