Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
andrewburt
Science Fiction Writer
andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: several
Which do you prefer with trilogies?

So, which do you prefer for trilogies, three separate books or all in one?

We're publishing a very long three-part science fiction book; it's 250,000 words long (compared to your common SF novel at about 80-100,000 words). It naturally falls into three books, based on time, but the main characters progress through all three and it's one unified, epic story. We're releasing it both in ebook form and in print.

Which excites you more as a reader, reading something like that all at once? Or do you enjoy it more when it's in three books, with three covers, getting excited to wait for the continuation and conclusion? (And if so, how long between releases?)
andrewburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I prefer all at once. Terry Brooks now breaks most of his novels up into trilogies and it drives me nuts.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
All at once, otherwise I end up having to reread the previous ones to set the scene again. From a marketing point of view, there's an opportunity for a price reduction if you have all three together. I would prefer a collection of three separate books to one massive book, though.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
If I know I'm going to read them all, I prefer one book.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Unless the first one is free standing I would not start reading it until I knew for sure that the series would actually be completed.
So even though I may not read them all at once I want them all to be published before I start!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
All at once.
If the entire book is ready to go now, it doesn't benefit me as a reader for you to delay the release of the second and third portions.
Plus, realistically, you would charge more for three separate small books that you would for one large one.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Separate books, although it's good if they're all available at once.

Ideally, there would be a choice for the reader/buyer between an "omnibus" version (possibly a little cheaper than the separate volumes) as well as separate volumes. That way, those who don't want to risk a time/money investment of buying a very long unknown book can buy & read it one volume at a time, while others could get the omnibus.

I admit that eReader era has made it a little less of an issue, but as a rule, I don't really pick up very thick/long books by unknown authors or unless they're part of a series I'm already into - they seem too intimidating. Although even with a Kindle, I keep postponing starting books that have the little line of dots (indicating relative length) going all the way to the other side of the screen, and just keep picking shorter ones instead...
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Definitely all at once.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Real books: Divided. Easier to hold the books, and its a psychological thing that I can see how far I have until the end. And I like book covers.
eBooks: One big file. Much easier.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
andrewburt
Science Fiction Writer
andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.andrewburt can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Unless the first one is free standing I would not start reading it until I knew for sure that the series would actually be completed.
So even though I may not read them all at once I want them all to be published before I start!
Very valid point. All three are in hand, so I'm thinking that -if- we release them as three separate volumes, we'll do so very close together, like a week or two apart. I agree, I hate it when volume 1 and 2 comes out and the publisher never releases vol.3. With a famous author you know he'll get the volumes published, but otherwise, yeah, it's understandable. (In this case the author is Henry Gee, who if you read the science magazine Nature you might recognize as a senior editor and the guy who runs the Nature Futures science fiction series. So he's not a total unknown, but he's not best known as an SF writer.)

So, good point, and for purposes of the question, let's assume they're all released within a short time period even if released separately.
andrewburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
All at once. I don't read any book that I know is going to be a trilogy until it's all out in print.

There's one book in print I've been checking up on at Amazon, that sounds good, but I won't bother with it because of the complaints that it 'just stops' and ends in a cliffhanger. I don't do cliffhangers anymore. To disappointing when no followup ever comes.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewburt View Post
So, good point, and for purposes of the question, let's assume they're all released within a short time period even if released separately.
I'll repeat what someone else wrote....

Physical books, easier to hold separately.
Ebooks, one file is prefered, but I can do separate just as easily. If the covers are kick-ass, that'd be a bonus. (I do like a good cover!)

As long as I knew they were coming out together, or what the date between them is, I'd be good. I just wouldn't start them until I had them all in hand.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Separate books. I rarely spend large sums of money on novels, so separate volumes is the only way to circumvent sticker shock.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have a GRR Martin 4 book bundle which is just way too long to handle. With the Kindle app on the Android phone it's possible to "scroll by accident", and wham I'm suddenly in a different book entirely, and the longer the book is the longer it takes to find the place where I'm actually supposed to be at. Also the "table of contents" list grows so longer and is hard to navigate on many readers. And in general readers handle small files better than large ones.

So I prefer separated books, if it'd be too long otherwise - bundled short stories are okay.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:44 AM   #15
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Marketing wise, I think it would be a good idea to release them separately and then release an omnibus/bundle afterwards. You'll then have four releases instead of one. From what I've read from self-published authors who've done this, the omnibus edition doesn't actually cannibalize sales of the individual stories. Both will sell and you'll maximize your visibility.

Last edited by Suzanna; 07-31-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote