Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #1
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Silly question about hole in cover

Still using the supplied cover, and it works fine for me.

I've only had to do soft reset three times since I got it several months ago (one after the upgrade), so it's not a big deal, but I don't like the idea of taking the cover off too many times. Sort of worried about wearing out the fastener.

So, what do y'all think about my drilling a little hole in the case over where the reset button is? Then could reset without removing the cover.

(Don't worry, I'd take the cover off before drilling the hole. )
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
No, do as I have done and use a small Allen (hex) wrench. (You know the ones that look like an upper case 'L'.) The cover flexes a bit and I insert the small leg of the wrench into the hole and apply slight pressure on the back of the case.

One could also bend a paper clip to the same shape and use that rather than an Allen wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AllenWrenches.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2894  
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I use a bend paperclip that fits between the reader and cover.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Heh, I just bend the cover up out of my way enough to get the paper clip in the hole.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
L1Wulf
Enthusiast
L1Wulf began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I feel left out. I haven't had to do a reset on my reader yet. Perhaps I'm not pushing it to its full limits. I'm almost ashamed enough to turn in my geek badge. Almost.
L1Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could always just reset it ... you know, just for the experience.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Come on NatCh, it doesn't run Windows.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

You can still reset it just because if you want to! It doesn't have to need resetting (like windows).
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kind of like a fire drill, so that you are sure that you know where the hole in the back is located and how to push it just so you don't panic if you really need to reset the Reader.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

... okay, yeah, sure.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
RWood
Technogeezer

You never had a fire drill for your car? Back in college when the car was stuck in non-moving traffic; all four of us would jump out our doors, run around the car, and get back in. Often to the amazed looks of the other drivers and passangers.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Oh, sure we did that sort of thing too, mainly to get those looks from others.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #13
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Heh, I just bend the cover up out of my way enough to get the paper clip in the hole.
I removed the cover as well but after doing so I realized that you could actually just bend the cover just a little and get that paperclip in there to push the reset button just fine leaving the cover on.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #14
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
No, do as I have done and use a small Allen (hex) wrench. (You know the ones that look like an upper case 'L'.) The cover flexes a bit and I insert the small leg of the wrench into the hole and apply slight pressure on the back of the case.

One could also bend a paper clip to the same shape and use that rather than an Allen wrench.
Duh! I should change the title from "Stupid question..." to "Stupid me." Just like me to look for the complex solution rather than the simple one. Anyhoo, as I've got a whole mess of Allen wrenches, found they work just fine.

Thanks for the easy solution. Actually, I was looking forward to drilling, but guess I'll resist the urge.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #15
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff
Duh! I should change the title from "Stupid question..." to "Stupid me." Just like me to look for the complex solution rather than the simple one. Anyhoo, as I've got a whole mess of Allen wrenches, found they work just fine.

Thanks for the easy solution. Actually, I was looking forward to drilling, but guess I'll resist the urge.
Hey if you do drill, remember to remove the cover first, LMAO

Running away before you bonk me with something
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote