Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Creative Commons?

Any authors here published under a Creative Commons copyright? I'm thinking about a BY-NC-ND (Attribution-NonCommerical-NoDerivativeWorks) on mine, and wondering if anyone has gone that route?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I've sold a couple of reprints to online magazines under those conditions. I'm pretty sure the audio version of "Movement" was a CC release, too.

From my perspective, the only potential problem with a Creative Commons license is that you no longer have rights to control the distribution of your work. If a book becomes extremely popular, for example, and has been released under CC, there's no way to keep free versions from being plastered all over the web, and that could severely impact your potential income.

For that reason, I'd think twice before releasing a longer work under CC. Short stories don't earn much money either way, so I'm less cautious with them.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I've done it with some of my work. I was trying to write a serial novel but ended up only being able to submit it to DeviantArt at the time; Goodreads requires block formatting if you aren't submitting thru a major publisher and it turns out that I can't stand seeing block formatting. There were two or three other sites people kept recomending, but they were all fanfic sites and I don't write fanfic.

But yeah, it was kinda fun and people still download my writing from time to time. I stopped work on it because nobody would give me any feedback- its a serious problem on DeviantArt- and I had no idea how to improve my work.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What do you mean by "block formatting"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I've released a book of poetry here on Mobileread under a creative commons license. It can be found here:

Epub: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41879
Mobi: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41875
PDF: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41880

I also plan on releasing my book on the ethics of intellectual property (whenever I get THAT done) under a creative commons licence. I believe that knowledge should be freely available to all who seek it. If what I say is true, then how can I claim it as my own property? If it is false, then why would I want to? I don't derive a livelihood from writing other than from my work as a freelance journalist for a community newspaper, for which I am paid up front. I think it is possible to do so if you promote yourself properly. Cory Doctorow manages, for example. I also came across a 'Choose your own adventure' book for grown ups that was released under a creative commons license. To show my support, I purchased the nicely formatted paper edition.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-27-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Restored links only to MobileRead - [Also edited by OP to add additional reflections]
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
[QUOTE=luqmaninbmore;1889009]I've released a book of poetry here on Mobileread under a creative commons license. It can be found here: [URL="https://www.mobileread.com/forums[/QUOTE]

Ah, why was the link removed? I'd like to see how you wrote the copyright.

I'll pm you.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #7
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
I released under CC License.

I released Turing Evolved and Military Diorama under CC, BY-NC-ND license.

It's important to note though that I actually want people to copy and redistribute it for free and I even encourage fan-fiction so there's no question that as long as it's non-commercial, that kind of stuff is OK.

If it became hugely popular, great, then maybe a publisher or agent might notice me Might even seek print rights.

I have moved over 10,000 copies through the year and have no regrets. I just feed the license in at the top of the book and discuss it at the end.

As a kid, I really enjoyed shareware. A lot of the games we have today evolved from that scene. I'd like to think that writers of the future may similarly evolved - that you find a publisher and agent not by sending magazines into the slushpile but by proving yourself on a self-published book first. I have no idea if that idea is crazy or not.

But I have never regretted publishing under a CC license.

Regards
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What do you mean by "block formatting"?
Block formatting as in blank lines in between paragraphs. While its the de facto standard of the internet, it looks horribly unprofessional.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote