Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #31
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know if it's outright banned, though.
Cannot find anything about it. So, maybe I am wrong.
Considering the environment we live in...maybe it is wise. I would not go below rare grade.

About me.
It is funny. Until one year ago I have never eaten steak. Maybe I tried a few times, the meat was un-chewable, forgave and forgot about this dish.
We bought a new house in Sep 2009 and started to go to a local sizzler. I decided to try steak again. The proper place. They are supposed to know how to prepare steaks. Another chance. The first 3-4 attempts were failure. I didn't know anything about Types of beef steaks, such as rump steak, or sirloin steak or rib-eye steak. Absolutely clueless. So, I have started from the rump and up the list...or should I say up the price list?
I dislike tough meat. So...it was rough ride. English as a second language was not helpful but was a source of a few chuckles . Sirloin steak? Made of the cow body's part that is close to groins? Why? loin--->loincloth it is logical, isn't it?
Today I am a huge fan of rare steaks. Sometimes, depending on my mood I can order medium well. 1 time out of 4.
Sometimes medium rare lamb steak
My parents, even my brother cannot believe that I, I!!!, eat rare beef steaks
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A quick Google search, astra, reveals that numerous British restaurants have steak tartare on the menu, so it does appear that it is permitted. Eg:

http://www.cote-restaurants.co.uk/food_menu.html
I stand corrected then.
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #33
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
A quick Google search, astra, reveals that numerous British restaurants have steak tartare on the menu, so it does appear that it is permitted. Eg:

I think astra made it very clear that both beef and lamb are acceptable raw. Steak tartare is made of beef.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
astra
The Introvert

Quote:

Even BBC endorse it

(I wish I could find that article where they claimed otherwise)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I stand corrected then.
I didn't know either! I've certainly seen it on the menu in restaurants in continental Europe, but I don't recall coming across it here in the UK either. I probably need to go to classier restaurants .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #36
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Cannot find anything about it. So, maybe I am wrong.
Considering the environment we live in...maybe it is wise. I would not go below rare grade.

About me.
It is funny. Until one year ago I have never eaten steak. Maybe I tried a few times, the meat was un-chewable, forgave and forgot about this dish.
We bought a new house in Sep 2009 and started to go to a local sizzler. I decided to try steak again. The proper place. They are supposed to know how to prepare steaks. Another chance. The first 3-4 attempts were failure. I didn't know anything about Types of beef steaks, such as rump steak, or sirloin steak or rib-eye steak. Absolutely clueless. So, I have started from the rump and up the list...or should I say up the price list?
I dislike tough meat. So...it was rough ride. English as a second language was not helpful but was a source of a few chuckles . Sirloin steak? Made of the cow body's part that is close to groins? Why? loin--->loincloth it is logical, isn't it?
Today I am a huge fan of rare steaks. Sometimes, depending on my mood I can order medium well. 1 time out of 4.
Sometimes medium rare lamb steak
My parents, even my brother cannot believe that I, I!!!, eat rare beef steaks
I have my steaks "blue" fairly often when I go out. Sizzler here, if it is part of the US chain, is kind of a iffy restaurant. if you find yourself liking steak there, then try a different place. I think you will be pleasantly surprised
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #37
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I have my steaks "blue" fairly often when I go out. Sizzler here, if it is part of the US chain, is kind of a iffy restaurant. if you find yourself liking steak there, then try a different place. I think you will be pleasantly surprised
Ah. Here is the difference
Steaks in the UK and the USA are very different. Different ways to prepare 21day old steaks. I mean the process of preparing them before they are cooked. If I find the link I will post. Apparently, steaks in the UK are supposed to be tastier because they are done properly. It costs more to do it that way though.

Last edited by astra; 01-23-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: senior moments
Old 01-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #38
astra
The Introvert

I guess that explains it a bit
Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #39
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
The "rawest" grade of steak you can order in a good restaurant is "blue". That's where it's seared on the outside, but raw inside. Many restaurants won't serve steak "blue" though, again because of the hygiene risks.
In the US that steak is usually called black and blue because it's blackened on the outside and topped w/ blue cheese. Black and blue steaks are usually rather rare, but you can order it medium or well if you prefer.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #40
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah. Here is the difference
Steaks in the UK and the USA are very different. Different ways to prepare 21day old steaks. I mean the process of preparing them before they are cooked. If I find the link I will post. Apparently, steaks in the UK are supposed to be tastier because they are done properly. It costs more to do it that way though.
We serve both here. At home, I only cook freshly cut steaks from my butcher. When I go to a decent steak house, they usually have aged steak on the menu, which is the one I always order. What I have noticed is that if I have steak left over and put it in the fridge to heat up the next day, it's often tastier than before and oddly, reminds me very much of aged beef. However, if I have leftover aged steak from eating out, it isn't so great the next day.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #41
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Call me old fashioned or unrefined or whatever but I want all meat cooked well done. I don't know why raw meat is considered some kind of high class dish. It just sounds nasty to me.

Not only will I not eat it, but I don't even like to touch it. Anything raw meat touches in my house gets wiped down with bleach water I keep in a spray bottle.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #42
SolRaven
Wizard

In honor of meat, I just made black and blue steaks for dinner... yum!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #43
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Call me old fashioned or unrefined or whatever but I want all meat cooked well done. I don't know why raw meat is considered some kind of high class dish. It just sounds nasty to me.

Not only will I not eat it, but I don't even like to touch it. Anything raw meat touches in my house gets wiped down with bleach water I keep in a spray bottle.
I tend to do the same thing. If I don't, I imagine all of the nasties in the blood multiplying, and ultimately taking over.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #44
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
I guess that explains it a bit
there are quite a few restaurants here that will do that. my butcher does it with their meat. we always did that with our venison as well when I was growing up. that was one of the nice things with Colorado, we could get away with hanging meat in our garage due to the cold dry air. here it is just not quite cold enough and the moist air makes me worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
In the US that steak is usually called black and blue because it's blackened on the outside and topped w/ blue cheese. Black and blue steaks are usually rather rare, but you can order it medium or well if you prefer.
no, there is "blue" for meat order; blue, rare, med. rare, med., med. well, well done. this has nothing to do with blue cheese
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:27 AM   #45
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post

I can't watch someone cut open a steak and all that blood comes out ... Yuck. It makes me nauseous to even think about it. I also hate the taste of beef and lamb, I've been forced to eat this kind of meat when I still lived at home.

Now that I can choose what I make for dinner, I only eat poultry. Or I make a vegetarian dish. Pork I can stand but barely. Maybe once every month.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote