Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
yochillum
yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Please Help - Crazy Kindle Catastrophe

Hi all, I'm newly registered, but have been benefiting from the amazing wealth of knowledge on this board for some time now. I am having this incredibly strange problem, which is sort of a nice way of saying an entirely maddening one. So here goes:

I downloaded Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy from the kindle store on Amazon: The edition published Mar. 17, 2006. After downloading to my K3, the bugger froze immediately. Eventually (after quite while) it would put itself into a restart cycle. I tried this a few more times... same result. I then deleted the item off my device and redownloaded it from my archive. Same process, same result. So I said (paraphrasing extremely) "My that's unfortunate, I'm rather upset"

So off I tread to Project Gutenberg and download the mobi format there. <Drum Roll> Yep Freeze-o-matic! I now am resetting the kindle myself. "Argh" says yochillum. I head back to Gutenberg download the ePub and convert it myself to mobi format. You guessed it! Freezeanomicon. I have since downloaded the older version on the kindle store and it seems to work fine, but there are no chapters.

My desperate plea is this: I just received my Kindle for the holidays and am desperately in love with it... genuinely, it's unnatural and I really don't want to send it in for warranty repair if it isn't the device's fault. I would ask if you could help on either of two fronts:

Could anyone out there in Mobileread land download the 2006 version from Amazon and see if you suffer the same unholy fate?

Is anyone willing to hazard a guess why this could be happening/possible fixes/workarounds?

Thank you for any and all help.
yochillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
First if you are using a cover take it out of the cover to eliminate any possibility of the cover messing with your kindle. Do a full charge too so you know that's not the problem.

Then try a hard reboot. Unplug your kindle Slide the switch to the right and hold it there for about 20 secs, then let go. It will reboot.

If that doesn't do it, you can try a reset to factory default. Click home, then menu, the select settings, then click menu, and select reset to factory default. Since your kindle is new, it's not a huge deal to start over.

If that doesn't do it, call amazon. Their return procedure is very friendly. In the u.s., they will ship out a new one overnight.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
please do let us know what happens after you do the above procedures. and welcome to the forums! ;o)
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
yochillum
yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yochillum has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the welcome... and the help guys. I have already done the hard reboot with no success. I have not tried the factory default reset just yet, but will pull that trigger if need be. The part that is driving me nuts is that this is the only book that is doing this. I've checked through all of my other titles (30+), and have read through 4 books already with no trouble whatsoever. It seems to be just this damnable Mayor of Casterbridge that is causing the issue, which is why I'm hesitant to believe that the device itself is at fault. If that indeed is the case, I'm extremely glad to hear that their repair/replacement policy is quite good. Here's hoping I won't need to take advantage of it just yet, but their are worse possible outcomes.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
riker147
riker147 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Not sure if you noticed, but someone left a review for the same version of the book you mentioned and had the same problem. If the reviewer wasn't you, I would have to say that the problem is with the book and not your kindle.
riker147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
yochillum

Quote:
Originally Posted by riker147 View Post
Not sure if you noticed, but someone left a review for the same version of the book you mentioned and had the same problem. If the reviewer wasn't you, I would have to say that the problem is with the book and not your kindle.
Actually that reviewer was me. I was a bit livid when this first happened despite my liberal paraphrasing. After the Gutenberg thing though, I started to question A: is the problem something else and B: is the version on Amazon the same as the Gutenberg one? I humbly vow to remit this review if it turns out the problem lies elsewhere including the lunk who posted the review
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Ticallion
Connoisseur
Ticallion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Have you tried the version that's uploaded here?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1220020860
Ticallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Okay, I'm brave. I'll give it a shot.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
yochillum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Okay, I'm brave. I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!! For what it's worth, it may freeze up and get frustrating, but it hasn't done any long-term harm, just delete it, scream a bit, and offer a few cents up to the profanity jar... that's what I do.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
I had only one book ever do that to my Kindle, it came from ah-hem "other" venues. I'm willing to bet it is the book for whatever reason and not your device. good luck and keep us posted!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yochillum View Post
Thanks for the welcome... and the help guys. I have already done the hard reboot with no success. I have not tried the factory default reset just yet, but will pull that trigger if need be. The part that is driving me nuts is that this is the only book that is doing this. I've checked through all of my other titles (30+), and have read through 4 books already with no trouble whatsoever. It seems to be just this damnable Mayor of Casterbridge that is causing the issue, which is why I'm hesitant to believe that the device itself is at fault. If that indeed is the case, I'm extremely glad to hear that their repair/replacement policy is quite good. Here's hoping I won't need to take advantage of it just yet, but their are worse possible outcomes.
Umm, if it's just the one book that causes the problem, then chances are resetting your kindle won't do anything, so please don't bother. Try feedbooks. It has that book and looks well formatted.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
yochillum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticallion View Post
Have you tried the version that's uploaded here?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1220020860
Just tried it. Works just fine. Snazzy illustrations I might add. So I definitely have an alternative copy to use. Still hoping the original issue is symptomatic of a larger issue at play with the device itself. If it is, I'd rather get it sorted sooner than later. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
yochillum

Now I'm really at a dilemma. If it happens to Cherry I'll be relieved that it adds confirmation to my reader being okay. But I'll be afraid of the repercussions from a Sharp Shootin' Grandma!!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by yochillum View Post
Now I'm really at a dilemma. If it happens to Cherry I'll be relieved that it adds confirmation to my reader being okay. But I'll be afraid of the repercussions from a Sharp Shootin' Grandma!!
I'm sure she will be gentle with you. if it appears that the book IS the issue might I suggest you drop Amazon a note?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
yochillum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I'm sure she will be gentle with you. if it appears that the book IS the issue might I suggest you drop Amazon a note?
Abostively. Operating off the assumption that the folks at Gutenberg are suffering from the self-same issue, I will pass the word along to our friends in Urbana, IL as well.