Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
Issues with the Spell Check

Hi,
  1. In the menu bar of eBook-edit App, there is no menu item "Windows" with which we can put in the foreground the window of orthographic checking when it is in the background as it usually exists on the Mac software. On the Mac at least, the windows and dialogs overlap, we should be able to put them back in the foreground and have the choice of the Window we want to see come back to the foreground. (In calibre, and its 2 subprograms, there are only two windows to manage, it seems to me, but it would really be a great step forward and a consequent time saving of being able to do it directly in the programs themselves).
  2. Then again about the spell check, it seems to me that one can't directly add a correct word to the dictionary if it is not there. For the French language, and capital letters accentuated and with a "-" character, I have a lot of difficulty to correct repetitive errors for all .epub files.
  3. ex: "Etaient-ils heureux" > "Étaient-ils heureux"
  4. I guess the problem is the dictionary imported and used by calibre. Besides, I downloaded and installed an improved version of the dictionary lo-oo-ressources-linguistiques-fr-v5.7.oxt
  5. "Find duplicates" could be also translated in French as "Recherche de doublons"

Last edited by Frenchdummy; 02-12-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1 Why do you need a separate menu entry to put it in the forground? Just press cmd+tab. Seems a lot simpler to me.

2 Dont know what that means. You can definitely add words that are not already there -- that's the whole point of the add owrds feature

3 ??

4 calibre comes with no builtin french dictionary, you have to install your own IIRC the only builtin dictionaries are for english and spanish, the two top languages of calibre users according to the calibre usage stats.

5 Are you saying the current translation is incorrect? If so you are welcome to contribute improved translations, see https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
1 Why do you need a separate menu entry to put it in the forground? Just press cmd+tab. Seems a lot simpler to me.

2 Dont know what that means. You can definitely add words that are not already there -- that's the whole point of the add owrds feature

3 ??

4 calibre comes with no builtin french dictionary, you have to install your own IIRC the only builtin dictionaries are for english and spanish, the two top languages of calibre users according to the calibre usage stats.

5 Are you saying the current translation is incorrect? If so you are welcome to contribute improved translations, see https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved
1 That's a good idea, but I thought it did not work with the windows of the same application but only between different applications. I need to try.

2 The word must first be detected as misspelled to be able to add the correction but the correct spelling does not seem to be memorized. Is not it?

3 It was an example of correction by French dictionary not memorized in the dictionary.

4 yes I know

5 I just realized it is a plugin Find Duplicates. Already involved AFAIK.

6 Problems in my browser. Short session time to make a full post. ( cookies ?)

Last edited by Frenchdummy; 02-13-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you want to add words to a dictionary without involving the spell checker then you can do so via Preferences->Editor settings->Manage dictionaries->manage user dictionaries
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast

Quote:
But on Apple Computers we have to install another software to make the choice between the main window of the editor and the spell check window with command+tab. I just need to find this utility and reinstall it. I think his name is "supertab"

Quote:
I understood the procedure even though I thought errors should be handled by the imported dictionary. In this case, it is the lo-oo-ressources-linguistiques-fr-v5.7.oxt

Quote:
you want to add words to a dictionary without involving the spell checker then you can do so via Help>Preferences->Editor settings->Manage dictionaries->manage user dictionaries
You are a true gifted genius !

Tags
interface