Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
High Quality Book Covers

A little over a year ago, I decided to pick up a novel to read, which was a first in almost 5 years. While scrolling through my Calibre library, I realised how messy and disorganised my library was. I had never given it the TLC it required.

So with little experience with ebooks, I decided to fix my library. It was initially challenging as there was so much to learn, but it quickly became easier.

One thing I did notice was that good quality book covers for older novels were non-existent for many books I owned. Sure, there were postage stamp size images, but these looked terrible.

As I happen to own the paper books for most of the ebooks in my library, I decided to recreate the book covers. I have recreated over 60 covers, so far. An example before and after cover is below.

What they are not: They are not pixel perfect reproductions. If you view original and recreation side by side, yes you will notice slight differences- slightly different font or colours. But if you viewed the recreated cover on its own, you should be able to say "yea, I remember that cover".

Some covers only needed minor fixes, usually to the text that uses a reflective effect which does not scan well. Others required major work.

I am happy to share my covers with anyone that wants them, and I hope others will share theirs.

I have, so far, recreated covers for the following authors:

Arthur C. Clarke
David Brin
Greg Bear
Gregory Benford
Isaac Asimov
J.K. Rowling
Jeanne DuPrau
K.W. Jeter
Mark W. Tiedemann
Michael Crichton
Neil Gaimann
Roger MacBride Allen

(@mods I hope this does not breach any forum rules?)

== Edit ==
My gallery... https://github.com/KarellenX/book-covers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover-original.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	467.7 KB
ID:	190045   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover-fixed.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	706.1 KB
ID:	190046  

Last edited by Karellen; 05-13-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Hold on. Let me see if I have this right. The e-published cover from a large publisher is a poor scan of a beat up book and your scan of a used book looks really nice?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Hold on. Let me see if I have this right. The e-published cover from a large publisher is a poor scan of a beat up book and your scan of a used book looks really nice?
For the ebooks that I also happen to own the paper book, I want my ebook to have the same cover as the paper book.

I search online for that same cover. Usually (for older novels) the cover does not exist or it is postage stamp size.

When this happens, I scan my cover (the poor version above) then from that I use that as a template to recreate it and I end up with the nice cover.

Some of my ebooks don't have a cover, they instead have some text on a white background. I don't know why that is. (Some glitch with amazon books?)

All my covers are 1600x2560
Old 11-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
When I have a paper book and cannot find a hi-res cover online, I've taken a photo of the paper cover and edited that. I don't have a scanner.

When I don't have a paper edition, the ebook has no cover (or it's absolutely terrible) and no cover can be found online, I've just generated the cover in Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Very nice work.

Librarything can be a source of nice cover scans. I've gotten a couple of scans from there.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
When I have a paper book and cannot find a hi-res cover online, I've taken a photo of the paper cover and edited that. I don't have a scanner.
Google has a photo scanner app that has given me pretty good results. On your phone, search for PhotoScan by Google Photos.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Google has a photo scanner app that has given me pretty good results. On your phone, search for PhotoScan by Google Photos.
Thanks, good to know.
Old 11-08-2021, 05:07 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That looks great, but what I did (if I had the ebook) would just copy and paste this one:

(By the way, the artwork is copyrighted and cannot be shared. But for one's own use...)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sphere.jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	190094  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-08-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
Karellen
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
(By the way, the artwork is copyrighted and cannot be shared. But for one's own use...)
Oh, ok. I was hoping it would be like movie and tv show artwork which is freely shared at sites like the two below.
https://fanart.tv/
https://www.themoviedb.org/

I won't post any of my other artwork.

A lot of my library is stub files to replicate my paper library.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2021, 08:43 PM   #10
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
For older books, and especially sc-fi, there are a lot of good covers at https://pulpcovers.com. A few are really, really good, and many become more than good enough for an ereader with a minor touch-up. But they are hard to find with no title/author search, for the most part.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #11
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
There are high res cover images you can grab from iTunes. Use this tool:
https://bendodson.com/projects/itune...der/index.html

I just borrowed Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and to my disgust found this cover page on the book although, on libby, there is a proper cover page. I used the above tool to set things right.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover_orig.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	190135   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	190136  

Last edited by Colonel Cathcart; 11-11-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #12
kantecty
kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kantecty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone 11
That looks great !! thanks
kantecty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
There are high res cover images you can grab from iTunes. Use this tool:
https://bendodson.com/projects/itune...der/index.html

I just borrowed Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and to my disgust found this cover page on the book although, on libby, there is a proper cover page. I used the above tool to set things right.
I just use Calibre's cover downloader and I usually get the cover in a high enough resolution. It works rather well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just use Calibre's cover downloader and I usually get the cover in a high enough resolution. It works rather well.
I've had plenty of times when Calibre couldn't find anything hi-res. Otherwise I also use the Calibre downloader.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've had plenty of times when Calibre couldn't find anything hi-res. Otherwise I also use the Calibre downloader.
Sometimes it's difficult to find a high enough resolution cover. But most of the time, Calibre works well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover art, covers