Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-15-2022, 09:11 PM   #46
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The previous model (7.8'' Nook Glowlight) didn't have partitioned storage. The one before it (Glowlight 3) had initially.
To be fair, I think that's what he meant when he said "there was enough outcry that B&N removed the memory partitioning..."

I wouldn't be shocked to see the same happen with the 4.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #47
Joliet Jake
Connoisseur
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem as I see it is that when the previous model was released, there was enough outcry that B&N removed the memory partitioning. You would thing B&N would have learned that enough customers don't want partitioned memory.

However, I think the days of the 6" screen are not long and not enough people who care about partitioned memory are going to by the GL4.
It went back to at least 2011's Simple Touch. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
2 GB internal (1 GB for content, of which 750 MB is reserved for B&N content), microSD expands up to 64 GB
I had one, but this was before I had Calibre so my library didn't exceed 1.25 GB. I wonder what I would have thought when I hit the eventually memory error, checked it with Windows and saw lots of space left
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:35 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliet Jake View Post
I had one, but this was before I had Calibre so my library didn't exceed 1.25 GB. I wonder what I would have thought when I hit the eventually memory error, checked it with Windows and saw lots of space left
I have a 2015 Glowlight Plus that has no partitioning, but I have used up the 2.5GB-ish memory.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 08:53 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think 6" screens are going to be with us for a while yet. More portable.
The 7" Kobo Libra 2 is very portable. The 6" nook GL4 and Clara HD are not much different then the Libra 2.

Libra 2: 5.7 by 6.4 by 0.3 inches
nook GL4: 4.75 x 6.2 x .2 inches
Clara HD: 6.6 by 4.3 by 0.3 inches

I do agree that the 6" screen size will be with us for a while. But I think sales of the 6" screen will drop as larger screens sell more.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-16-2022 at 08:56 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:14 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The 7" Kobo Libra 2 is very portable. The 6" nook GL4 and Clara HD are not much different then the Libra 2.

Libra 2: 5.7 by 6.4 by 0.3 inches
nook GL4: 4.75 x 6.2 x .2 inches
Clara HD: 6.6 by 4.3 by 0.3 inches

I do agree that the 6" screen size will be with us for a while. But I think sales of the 6" screen will drop as larger screens sell more.
It's the width that makes the difference on whether it will fit in your pocket, or not. The Libra 2 is over 2" wider than than the Clara (almost a third again wider) and about 1.5" wider than the GL4. Essentially the Libra 2 is a square, it would be like taking the Clara and trying to stuff it into your jacket pocket sideways. It won't work. The width of the new 6.8" Paperwhite would be better for portability, with its 4.9" width vs the Libra 2's 6.4". Basically the same size and shape as Kobo's older 6.8" readers.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's the width that makes the difference on whether it will fit in your pocket, or not. The Libra 2 is over 2" wider than than the Clara (almost a third again wider) and about 1.5" wider than the GL4. Essentially the Libra 2 is a square, it would be like taking the Clara and trying to stuff it into your jacket pocket sideways. It won't work. The width of the new 6.8" Paperwhite would be better for portability, with its 4.9" width vs the Libra 2's 6.4". Basically the same size and shape as Kobo's older 6.8" readers.
The Libra 2 is .2" wider then the GL4.

As for portable, the Libra 2 with Kobo case fits in my coat pocket no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 07:18 AM   #52
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The Libra 2 is .2" wider then the GL4.

5.7" - 4.75" <> 0.2"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote