Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-15-2022, 04:31 PM   #121
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Or in books set in medieval times when a bundle of gathered sticks was called a faggot. Made me wonder how the name for a bundle of sticks got transferred over to gays.
Or how it also ended up being used for a type of meat byproduct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

I hasten to add that they didn't feature in the family cuisine when I was growing up. Black pudding was bad enough the one time my mother tried dishing it up.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:34 PM   #122
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Moderator Notice
Can we take it as read, please, that we all know the synonyms for pejorative terms for gays? And preemptively extend that to other marginalized groups as well? Thanks.

Last edited by issybird; 01-15-2022 at 04:41 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #123
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Or how it also ended up being used for a type of meat byproduct: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

I hasten to add that they didn't feature in the family cuisine when I was growing up. Black pudding was bad enough the one time my mother tried dishing it up.
Black pudding at least doesn't sound as weird (to me at least) as blood pudding. The British use of pudding is sometimes also strange to me; in the US a pudding is a sweet custard.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:20 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Try haggis is you think black pudding is odd. However, Scottish black pudding and haggis do taste good. English black pudding are too fatty according to my wife.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:58 PM   #125
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Almost non-existent as in extremely skimpy or unlikely to be found? And what would you have done if you found a thong in your mum's unmentionables?
As in skimpy. I don't think we used the word skimpy in 1960s.

Nothing. I was just curious. I also took apart alarm clocks.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:32 AM   #126
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Lenovo P11
Quote:
The British use of pudding is sometimes also strange to me; in the US a pudding is a sweet custard.
As strange to me (and requiring effort to remember) is that "pie" in the US almost invariably refers to a sweet dessert, not a savory pastry.
Uncle Robin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #127
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unless it's a shepherd's pie, or a chicken or beef pot-pie. Whether sweet or savory, the word "pie" alone does not convey enough meaning for me to know if I want some or not. Regardless of my locale.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:20 AM   #128
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Puddings are like pies in the sense that context tells you if a dessert/sweet or not.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:53 PM   #129
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Unless it's a shepherd's pie, or a chicken or beef pot-pie. Whether sweet or savory, the word "pie" alone does not convey enough meaning for me to know if I want some or not. Regardless of my locale.
Yes.
And a (singe serve) meat pie was not a 'pastie'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:26 PM   #130
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (retired), Kobo Libra H2O
Some more fun food confusion:

In Canada (and I think other Commonwealth countries), "Smarties" usually refer to Nestle Smarties, candy-coated lumps of chocolate (think M&Ms). But in the U.S., "Smarties" are dry fruity-tablet candies. In Canada, we call those "Rockets."
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote