Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
babygyrl
babygyrl began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy J7
[ANDROID] CC Cloud Connection Error

So I've connected my CC app to my Calibre library through cloud connection before, but after I had to factory reset my phone, I tried to resign into my cloud connection, and got an error message about not being able to communication with the cloud provider. I am using OneDrive as the cloud provider, and I am signed onto my OneDrive account separately elsewhere on my phone, so I am confused about the "not being able to communicate" message.

Attached is a screenshot of the error message. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170816-190753.png
Views:	340
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	158504  
babygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I can still connect to Onedrive, so it should work.

It is impossible to know what might be happening from that error message. It looks like Onedrive refused to let CC "see" the storage. Are you sure you used the correct username and password? Did you try more than once?

If you send me a CC debug log then I might be able to say more. See our FAQ How do I get help? for instructions on how to do that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
babygyrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you sure you used the correct username and password? Did you try more than once?

If you send me a CC debug log then I might be able to say more. See our FAQ How do I get help? for instructions on how to do that.
Sorry for the delay, just got home from work and on the computer.
Just tried another password. Doesn't give me the same error message, gives me a "your password or username is incorrect" message on the sign-in page. It seems like it starts to connect, and for some reason can't. Sending you debug log shortly. Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170817_191429.png
Views:	285
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	158536  
Old 08-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygyrl View Post
Sorry for the delay, just got home from work and on the computer.
Just tried another password. Doesn't give me the same error message, gives me a "your password or username is incorrect" message on the sign-in page. It seems like it starts to connect, and for some reason can't. Sending you debug log shortly. Thanks for the help!
Not to worry about the delay. Life happens.

The debug log says that CC was prevented from connecting to OneDrive when trying to get a list of folders. I don't know why that would happen.

Some questions:
  • Do you have a firewall or an antivirus installed on your phone?
  • Is your library in a subfolder in OneDrive? Asked another way, is the file metadata.db in a subfolder or in the root folder? It should be in a subfolder.
  • Are there many files and folders in the root of OneDrive? It shouldn't matter, but I am looking for what might have gone wrong.
  • When you logged in, did you check the box "Keep me logged in?" (or something like that). I don't check it when I test. I don't think it makes any difference, but it is worth asking.

Something to try:
  • Start CC. Go to CC's Settings / Connecting to calibre / Cloud connection and tap Reset cloud connection. This will tell CC to forget everything it thinks it knows about connecting to Onedrive.
  • Reboot the phone. Usually you hold the power key in until the phone asks if you want to reboot or power off.
  • Start CC and reconnect to OneDrive.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:29 PM   #5
babygyrl

No firewall or antivirus except the basic lookout protection that came pre-installed on the phone.
Yes, library is in a subfolder on OneDrive. Is in the calibre library "Books" that I keep synced on my OneDrive.
Have 6 folders (including Books), and about 10 files not in folders on OneDrive.

Tried signing in with the "keep me logged in" not checked, same error. This was after resetting connection, turning my phone off and on, and trying to sign in again.

I think I"m gonna give up on this method of connecting, and stick to just connecting to the library wirelessly. It's just easier sometimes not to have to boot up my computer. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:06 AM   #6
dpilarz
dpilarz began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy tab S2
I have exactly the same problem on my Galaxy S2 Tablet and Samsung Android phone, since at least the last Calibre Companion update. I've also tried the same suggestions kindly made by chaley but, unfortunately, no luck with those either. OneDrive connection was working perfectly with Calibre Companion until recently. My normal OneDrive access is troublefree on both devices. As this feature is crucial to my use of the app, I hope the Calibre Companion developers will be able to solve this soon.
dpilarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpilarz View Post
As this feature is crucial to my use of the app, I hope the Calibre Companion developers will be able to solve this soon.
I am the Calibre Companion developer.

The problem is that I cannot for the life of me repeat this problem. In addition, more than 300 people have used Onedrive in the last few days without problems. That says that the problem you two are seeing is rare and strange. But we already knew that.

I did find some information on the web about a similar problem in other apps, caused by differences in the web servers used by the cloud companies. Apparently sometimes a small number of people get connected to server A, perhaps for testing, while most people get connected to server B. If server A is a particular version of a particular web server then the tools that CC uses will *sometimes* fail. Lots of "sometimes".

The posts did suggest a workaround, which I have implemented. If either of you wish, "private message" me an email address and I will send you a beta version APK of CC with the changes to see if they help.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
nqk
Fanatic
nqk doesn't litternqk doesn't litter

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Just now I had problem connecting to Onedrive too. It has been my main cloud connection.

Could be something from server side? It worked a few hours ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by nqk; 08-28-2017 at 01:43 PM.
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 02:41 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Could be something from server side? It worked a few hours ago.
The problem can come and go for no apparently reason. What I have read implies that there are some servers, in particular some versions of nginx, that cannot reliably handle HTTP-2 in some cases. The library that CC uses to talk to the server apparently sometimes causes those cases to happen. The cloud providers use huge networks of servers not all running the same code.

The suggested work-around is to force CC to use HTTP-1.1.

I can send you a new copy of the 5.3.4.1 beta APK if you are willing to try it.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Better yet, I will release a new beta with the changes.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #11
nqk
Fanatic

Quote:
Better yet, I will release a new beta with the changes.
Back online.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:04 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Back online.

Question: did it fail consistently until you installed the new beta? If so then there is a good chance that I actually fixed something.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:57 AM   #13
nqk
Fanatic

Quote:
Question: did it fail consistently until you installed the new beta? If so then there is a good chance that I actually fixed something.
Yes. The new beta can connect to Onedrive. I didnot change any setting, just signed in and it worked.