Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-18-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
Hello from Oregon

Hi all,

I'm a lifelong reader - apart from traditional paper books, I've been reading on mobile devices since the days of the Casio Zoomer, Newton Messagepad, and Palm Pilot. I was an early adopter of e-ink, starting with a Sony PRS-505, which I have been using for the past 10+ years (and it still looks/works like new!). Just got my first Kindle device (Oasis 2) a couple of days ago, since my aging eyes can no longer cope with the small typeface on the Sony.

My ebook library long ago grew past the point of my ability to read it all in my lifetime - but that doesn't stop me from continuing to add to it. I'm sure most of you here know what I mean.

Genres that interest me are wide ranging, though I lean more toward non-fiction than fiction these days. When I was younger, it was just the opposite. Occasionally, I have rather bizarre (to me) cravings for stuff I don't normally read, so I'd say my tastes are... unpredictable.

It used to be that I had to fit my reading time in between the chores of the day. Now, with "early retirement", I fit the chores of the day in between my reading sessions. Life is good!

-Jim
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 04:32 AM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Jim and welcome to MobileRead. Very good Intro!

BTW, I also had a Sony 505 which I got on sale in early 08 but managed to drop a few years later. Replaced it with a T1 which I’m still using.

Are you pleased with the Oasis?

Last edited by MickeyC; 08-19-2018 at 04:36 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Hi Jim and welcome to MobileRead. Very good Intro!

BTW, I also had a Sony 505 which I got on sale in early 08 but managed to drop a few years later. Replaced it with a T1 which I’m still using.

Are you pleased with the Oasis?
Hi MickeyC,

Thanks. Yes, I am very pleased with the Oasis so far. Ask me again in 10+ years, and I'll let you know which one I like better.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:44 PM   #4
ZGottlieb
Author: 99c scifi ebook
ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.ZGottlieb actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: IPOD
Welcome OregonJim,

I'm new also, just trying to feel my way around this forum. Your mentioning PalmPilot brought back some pleasant memories. I missed syncing with strangers and sharing one on one without GoogleFacebookTwitterAmazon in my business. Oh well the good old days.
And yes I was an early adopter reading on my PalmPilot. I have an iPod that is my primary reading device and a separate phone so I'm not interrupted while reading.

Z.
ZGottlieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
OregonJim
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGottlieb View Post
Welcome OregonJim,

I'm new also, just trying to feel my way around this forum. Your mentioning PalmPilot brought back some pleasant memories. I missed syncing with strangers and sharing one on one without GoogleFacebookTwitterAmazon in my business. Oh well the good old days.
And yes I was an early adopter reading on my PalmPilot. I have an iPod that is my primary reading device and a separate phone so I'm not interrupted while reading.

Z.
Hi Z,

I have fond memories of the PalmPilot as well. I was one of the first developers on the platform - still keep a VM with all of my dev tools on it, and still keep a couple of devices charged & loaded. It was (and still is) my favorite personal device, free from the spying and big brother-ness of all the current toys.

I have a box of ~50 devices that I used for testing when I was a developer. Everything from the original US Robotics Pilot through the Handspring Visors and the Sony Clie's, ending with the ultimate Palm T|X. All still function just fine - just can't bear to get rid of them.

-Jim
Advert