Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
nixwinter
nixwinter began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
getting the epub to validate

Calibre's epub looks great when I import it into my ipad, but the file won't validate... it says all kinds of crazy stuff.

1. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/content.opf(12): date value '2010-04-13T07:00:00+00:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected
2. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/index_split_000.html(14): element "img" from namespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" not allowed in this context
3. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/index_split_000.html(14): required attributes missing
4. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/toc.ncx(13): unfinished element
5. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/toc.ncx(2): assertion failed: first playOrder value is not 1
6. Check finished with warnings or errors!

Preflight report

Epubpreflight runs some of the same validation as epubcheck, but additionally checks for problems like very large file sizes that might affect some reading systems.

1. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/toc.ncx(13): unfinished element
2. ERROR: The House of Silver Oak - nix winter.epub/toc.ncx(2): assertion failed: first playOrder value is not 1
3. Check finished with warnings or errors!

Is there any hope at all of getting these things to fix so a validated file can be made?

Nix
nixwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1 is a bug in epubcheck

2 and 3 are bugs in your source file

4 and 5 may be calibre bugs but its hard to say without looking at the files in question
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast
Guido Henkel began at the beginning.

Device: mobi, epub, lit
I am having the exact same issue. Here is my output from epubcheck 1.0.5

Epubcheck Version 1.0.5

ERROR: jdghvol1.epub/content.opf(14): date value '2009-12-16 00:00:00-08:00' is not valid, YYYY[-MM[-DD]] expected
ERROR: jdghvol1.epub/toc.ncx(13): unfinished element
ERROR: jdghvol1.epub/toc.ncx(2): assertion failed: first playOrder value is not 1

Check finished with warnings or errors!

What can I do to help you locate and fix these errors in Calibre, as properly validated ePub files are vital for me to be accepted into a certain distribution outlet.
Guido Henkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first error is a bug in epubcheck. For the second open a ticket and attach your files.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

Kovid,

I opened a ticket and sent you a test file last night. I hope you'll have the chance to take a look at that some time.

Thanks a bunch,
Guido
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

Kovid,

Got your response to my ticket but I'm not sure I like the answer. I do not want a Table of Content in my books, and I am sure there is a valid way to create an ePub file that has no TOC. Am I to assume from your response that this is not something you will address?

Thanks,
Guido
Old 05-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's a simple hand edit in that case. Just delete the toc.ncx file and remove any reference to it in the opf file.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Except I just had a look at the EPUB spec and it requires an NCX, so you're out of luck. Apparently you have to have a table of contents. You should complain to the IDPF

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-06-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I suppose you could hand edit the ncx so the TOC ended up 'blank'.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Though I don;t really understand what the harm in having a TOC is? An NCX TOC is not present in the normal flow of the book, so if your users don't want to use it, they will never see it.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Though I don;t really understand what the harm in having a TOC is? An NCX TOC is not present in the normal flow of the book, so if your users don't want to use it, they will never see it.
I agree.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #12
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

If you have a book that has no chapters, a TOC has no place in it. It really is as simple as that.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
TOC is Table of Contents, not Chapters. Your book does have contents, right?
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #14
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

It does not have contents. It has content and that is exactly why I do not need a TOC. It is a little strange to create a TOC that points into the middle of text sections. That's why usually a TOC points to chapter starts, which I do not have.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
Guido Henkel
Enthusiast

Okay, I have decided upon a way t create a TOC for my book, although it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, while Calibre builds a TOC and Adobe Digital Editions nicely displays it, epubcheck has some serious issues with it - like this

ERROR: jdghvol1.epub: could not parse DemonsNight Win_split_001.html: duplicate id: calibre_toc_2
ERROR: jdghvol1.epub/toc.ncx(20): assertion failed: playOrder sequence has gaps
ERROR: jdghvol1.epub/toc.ncx(30): 'calibre_toc_4': fragment identifier is not defined in 'DemonsNight Win_split_001.html'

It's an endless list listing every one of my countless TOC entries.

Any ideas what could be going on here?

Just to point out, if it helps, that my TOC entries are picked directly in the text and the name of the TOC entry is essentially an entire paragraph of text. I have to do this because I have no chapter markers or anything else I could use for a chapter title and I don't want to have an endless list of TOC entries, all of them displayed as "Unnamed."