Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #31
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Well to be fair, Gizmodo claims the chart they posted a snap of was provided by the company. Wherever that lack of consistency comes from, it's really undermining any credibility their claims have.
I believe the 160 came from taking 16 hours and multiplying it by 10 for .2 watts vs 2 watts for the screen:
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...ds-on-0969281/
FTA: "NVIDIA are saying tablets with regular displays (consuming around 2W) using Tegra 2 will last for around 16 hours of Full HD video with a standard 3-cell battery; Rohan says that, because their display uses just 0.2W in its electrophoretic reflective mode, with that 3-cell battery you’ll potentially see up to 160 hours use"

This calculation is obviously flawed since the screen is not the only source of power drain.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #32
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
A guess at power draw. Calculation are very rough and make many assumptions:
According to this article (a laptop was replaced with a pixelqi screen and tested):
http://www.liliputing.com/2010/01/up...lay-video.html
1. Pixel Qi screen used 2.5 watts of power in normal mode
2. Pixel Qi used .5 watts of power in transreflective mode
A 10 inch Pixel Qi screen was used so this is a valid comparison to Adam

Tegra 2 has been reported as 1/2 watts (http://hothardware.com/Articles/NVID...d-At-CES-2010/)

I do not know how much power other parts consume, but if we assume with wifi off that normal mode is 2.5 (screen) + .5 tegra +.25 everything else while playing hd video, and transreflective is .5 screen+.5 tegra+.25 everything else, we have:
normal Adam: 3.25 watts
transreflective Adam: 1.25 watts

normal - to get 16 hours would require a 16*3.5= 52 watt hour battery
same battery transreflective would provide 56/1.25 = 41.6 hours battery life.

56whr battery is bigger than typical three cells found on notebooks.
If we assume a 3 cell battery with 27 watt hours
normal =27/3.25 = 8.3 hours of battery life
transreflective = 27/1.25 = 21.6 hours battery life

These numbers could be better battery life if other parts consume less and tegra consumes less than .5 while playing hd video (processor is not maxed out)
For example if we used .25 for tegra while playing hd video and .1 for everything else
normal = 27/2.85 = 9.5 hours
transreflective = 27/.85 = 31.8 hours

Even at 0 non screen power usage, if the screen uses 2.5 watts as said, 16 hours is impossible on a 27 watt hour battery. It would require a 40 WHr battery if no other power was used. I have not seen any 3 cell notebook batteries with that many WHrs.

Last edited by Dan23; 02-15-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #33
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Speculation is fun, but I'll wait for the release date and official final info

In one of the videos, they did say that hardware was locked down, now - so this is what we'll see at launch. Hopefully we'll hear more in the next few weeks....This one is darn close to what I'd hoped the iPad would actually be (but wasn't). Just being able to plug in a thumb drive or any usb keyboard/mouse is a great thing.
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #34
Shyne
Enthusiast
Shyne began at the beginning.

Device: none
Love it! Wanna have it! It is lots of fun I guess!
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM   #35
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

This thing, an HDMI-VGA adaptor, and my LCD projector - such a light easy setup to bring resources, documents, etc on and present to classes.
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #36
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
With the early information this does seem more intriguing for e-books than the iPad. But as mentioned, there will be a lot of similar tablets with LCD screens coming out soon. And the HP Windows tablet. And the Asus tablet. And...

Plus, I wonder when they talk about tight coupling between Android and the hardware, as well as a much improved UI. Does that mean lots of customization that will prevent device owners from getting timely updates of new Android versions? Or is that referring to something that is released along with new Android versions?

It will be interesting to get the complete scoop. Sometimes it's so hard to wait when you're ready to buy a device, but the market isn't quite supplying what you have your eye on yet!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #37
guyanonymous
Guru

All good questions.

I'm wondering if, with the 3G models of tablets (like this), I can use a bluetooth headset and essentially use it as my phone?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Maybe if they support blue tooth and your ok using skype or some other VOIP program.

It won't work like a cell phone and 3G is for data, and not used for voice calls.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #39
DrDk
DrDk began at the beginning.

Device: A81
With the early information this does seem more intriguing for e-books than the iPad. But as mentioned, there will be a lot of similar tablets with LCD screens coming out soon. And the HP Windows tablet. And the Asus tablet.

Does any other forthcoming tablet form have the pixel qui screen?
This is the attraction for reading.
DrDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #40
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
I believe the 160 came from taking 16 hours and multiplying it by 10 for .2 watts vs 2 watts for the screen:
http://www.slashgear.com/notion-ink-...ds-on-0969281/
FTA: "NVIDIA are saying tablets with regular displays (consuming around 2W) using Tegra 2 will last for around 16 hours of Full HD video with a standard 3-cell battery; Rohan says that, because their display uses just 0.2W in its electrophoretic reflective mode, with that 3-cell battery you’ll potentially see up to 160 hours use"

This calculation is obviously flawed since the screen is not the only source of power drain.
Yes, I made that observation some posts ago. I'm just saying that the chart that shows 160 hours listed on Gizmodo was claimed to have come from Notion Ink.

So Notion Ink's website says one thing, their chart says another.
We just don't know what this unicorn product will really be able to do until it's tested. Inconsistency in claims undermines trust. I will not be surprised at all if their numbers turn out completely different, assuming they actually finish the product.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #41
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:36 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 AM   #42
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Looks great, now we'll have to wait until it is actually available and reviewed
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #43
icemncmth
Enthusiast
icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.icemncmth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook (dead), Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
To an extent the iPhone and iPod Touch took off because of the App store and the iPad piggy-backs on the back of that. Is there an equivalent Android App store? Ubuntu has "apt get", obviously.

It just seems to me that it's going to be more difficult to make a dent against the incumbent giant without a similar App store, complete with users reviews etc. And is every Android device going to be able to use every Android App? Will there be ring-fenced App stores for every major device that comes out?

Don't get me wrong, I want an open tablet more than a closed one, but the man in the street seems to like what Apple are doing. And though I want an open tablet more than a closed one, I don't really want either very much.

Actually there is an app store for android... The funny thing is a lot of the android apps are ported over to Apples app store once the bugs are worked out. And don't forget that the Ipad can't multitask...Android can.
icemncmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #44
thomman
thomman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, ipod touch (less), PC (least)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilianm View Post
In this moment non of the applications from the iPhone/Ipod applications are hard-coded to run on a specific (very small) resolution and they will not run OK on the iPad.They will have to create new applications or to update the existing ones.On the other hand the Android applications are designed form the beginning to target multiple resolutions..and they have usually an expandable layout .Plus , on the market, we already have 3 or 4 andorid tablets that are running successfully many applications....so......
Not true - the iPhone applications will work as is on iPad, in a window (which I guess will be the same size as the current iPhone screen). The applications can be (re)written to take advantage of the new capabilities and bigger screen, but not necessary.

Having said that, I believe even 1000 apps can be plenty if they are all useful/good quality. I have an iPod touch, and I have less than 5 apps that I use regularly, and less than 30 apps installed. For my purposes, I dont see any difference between Android store and Apple store.
thomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #45
Demas
Connoisseur
Demas has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Notion Ink Adam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yes, I made that observation some posts ago. I'm just saying that the chart that shows 160 hours listed on Gizmodo was claimed to have come from Notion Ink.
You're reading waaay too much into it and putting the emphasis on the wrong words... "claimed" is more important, particularly since Gizmodo's chart is just a reproduction of Technoholik's chart, which, undoubtedly, was produced by Technoholik for the sake of forcing the iPad comparison and taking advantage of iPad buzz.

If you watch the actual interview with Notion Ink, they're not interested in forcing the comparison with the iPad- and actually are somewhat intimidated by it- which makes the chart (which is rather sloppy, both in specs and equivocation of terminology, especially contrasted against their website- which shows them capable of accurate terminology) unlikely to have come from Notion Ink. Technoholik turned the same 1 substantive meeting into four different features on their website for the sake of page hits... not exactly professional or above sensationalism.

Either way, launching into disparaging "unicorn" rants about inconsistency is premature without knowing the source of inconsistency. An official website should generally be given more weight than an unverified second hand reference by an reasonable skeptic.
Demas is offline   Reply With Quote