Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #16
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm disappointed that the 300 doesn't have the side buttons for page turns, and lost the memory card slot. Glad no wifi, and that they kept a device with expandable memory.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #17
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm disappointed that the 300 doesn't have the side buttons for page turns, and lost the memory card slot. Glad no wifi, and that they kept a device with expandable memory.
My first reaction, too - no card slot!

BUT - I've got over 250 books on my 505, haven't managed to get anywhere close to filling it up. I have an SD card for it, but I've never used it.

So in reality, I doubt I'd miss a card slot. I wouldn't mind having wi-fi, but I don't want anything like the Kindle's Whispernet. I don't want anyone having unauthorized (by me) access to my device.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If it turns out there is no Wi-Fi I am going to be very disappointed. What's the purpose of this enclosure redesign? To make it cheaper, more affordable? While all competitors are coming up with connected ebook readers, with various screen sizes, with more capabilities, Sony is removing the paging buttons? Is this what they were working on for a year? I sure hope not...
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #19
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Makes me glad I got the 505. However, it's great to see that Sony is not exiting the market, and makes me wonder if there's a larger reader on the horizon?
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
One more thing that can be deduced from the PRS-600 service manual:

1. No mention of a light (the only occurrence of the word is on page 8).
2. No light switch.
3. No way to test the light.
4. No connection for LED's or a light panel.

This tells me that the display should be close to the sharpness of the PRS-505 since no thick plastic 'lightpipe' is required. The touch sensor may degrade the display some but not a lot. This is good in my opinion.

Last edited by donslade; 07-30-2009 at 10:31 AM.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by donslade View Post

2. No light switch.

This tells me that the display should be close to the sharpness of the PRS-505 since no thick plastic 'lightpipe' is required. The touch sensor may degrade the display some but not a lot. This is good in my opinion.

...and those LEDs added a lot of thickness to the 700.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #22
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
So is the 300 a slightly downsized 505 (no slots or mp3) and the 600 a slightly downsized 700 (no light) - and that's all?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #23
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
That would be a good thing

I even like the design of the PRS-600 (which is more very important to me).
To me if it got WiFi or not is not a issue.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I guess the wireless model will be an upgrade of PRS-700 (PRS-705? PRS-800?).
If they really discontinue PRS-505 I think it might become a hot item on ebay, since none of the new models is as good replacement IMO...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:39 AM   #25
donslade
donslade doesn't litterdonslade doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, Nook STR, Kindle PW3
Quote:

2. No light switch.
4. No connection for LED's or a light panel.

More stuff:

5. Screen test allows selection of 2 resolutions: 600x800 and 500x700. Does this mean that the 5" PRS-300 has the same or lower DPI as the PRS-505/600/700? Maybe lower and that is a step backward but may point to a lower price.

Update: The PRS-600 test mentions an image size, not a resolution, so #5 above may not apply. The test for the screen on the PRS-300 does not mention an image size.

Last edited by donslade; 07-30-2009 at 10:44 AM.
donslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
This may be a silly question/observation, but, but why would they go backwards in there numbering system? I understand one reason would be that they are making a downsized version that would be less costly and thus be able to reach more people. However, why go backwards with the numbers? Generally they don't do that. It makes me wonder if this is all a red herring.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
This may be a silly question/observation, but, but why would they go backwards in there numbering system? I understand one reason would be that they are making a downsized version that would be less costly and thus be able to reach more people. However, why go backwards with the numbers? Generally they don't do that. It makes me wonder if this is all a red herring.
It might mean that it's a more basic model with a lower price point, IMO.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
My guess is the 600 is replacing the 505 and the 300 is just a new model and the replacement for the 700 is yet to be seen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Fine Print

From the fine print in the 300 model manual:

• This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit.
(<http://www.openssl.org/>) Copyright © 1998-2006 The OpenSSL Project. All rights reserved. This
product includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young (eay@cryptsoft.com). This product
includes software written by Tim Hudson (tjh@cryptsoft.com). For details on OpenSSL License, refer
to “openssl.txt” on the Reader.

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 AM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
OpenSSL is also mentioned in PRS-500 and other models. As noted by Abecedary, it is likely used for their encryption routines.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote