Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Lightbulb Calibre as Zettelkasten: Links between ebook entries?

I'll evaluate to use Calibre as a "Zettelkasten" (Niklas Luhmann). One principle of the Zettelkasten is to have links between differerent entries. Is it possible to create a link to another book in the metadata comment field? Or is there another option to create something similiar? Perhaps with use of the id or the uuid? Perhaps when copying meta data of a book that you can build a link from that?
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post
I'll evaluate to use Calibre as a "Zettelkasten" (Niklas Luhmann). One principle of the Zettelkasten is to have links between differerent entries. Is it possible to create a link to another book in the metadata comment field? Or is there another option to create something similiar? Perhaps with use of the id or the uuid? Perhaps when copying meta data of a book that you can build a link from that?
I prefer do it in a separate long text (comments like) custom column (HTML, Header on the side), this allows me to edit it via F2 in book list cell, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	168616

The resultant link is clickable in the Book Details panel, but not in the Book List. If there is anything in the column I mask it with an icon (Preferences->Look and Feel->Column Icons).

Multiple links are possible with this approach, but it doesn't create a two way link, I have to maintain links in both books, I use it sparsely, e.g in a library of 8,266 books only 133 have their book link column set.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-25-2018 at 03:57 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2018, 03:51 AM   #3
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Well, I've have one problem with this type of links. I use Calibre with Windows and with Ubuntu Linux. If I use the file link function, it will only run, if the link has a absolute path (and the path in Windows and Ubuntu is different). But I need a function to insert a relative path or a direkt link to another ebook in the same library.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:55 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Accessing a library with calibre for Windows and calibre for Linux can cause problems, have a look at Post #2 in this thread ==>> Accessing library from web, gui, etc...

IIRC some users do inter book linking using the Identifiers column, I tried it and found it didn't suit my needs or my way of working. It involves setting up rules in Preferences->Look and Feel->Book Details. Hopefully someone who does it that way will see this thread and respond. I have a vague memory davidfor might do it that way - you could send him a PM.

One problem with URI links is: should a target move or get renamed the link will break.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:48 AM   #5
msel
Connoisseur

Hi,

I've no problem with accessing and editing the library with Windows and with the Linux version. My library is stored on an external usb drive formatted with NTFS (and I have used this combination for years).

The calibre installation are at different places in Windows and in Lubuntu (but with the same configuration / plugins).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Accessing a library with calibre for Windows and calibre for Linux can cause problems, have a look at Post #2 in this thread ==>> Accessing library from web, gui, etc...

IIRC some users do inter book linking using the Identifiers column, I tried it and found it didn't suit my needs or my way of working. It involves setting up rules in Preferences->Look and Feel->Book Details. Hopefully someone who does it that way will see this thread and respond. I have a vague memory davidfor might do it that way - you could send him a PM.

One problem with URI links is: should a target move or get renamed the link will break.

BR
Advert

Tags
link, luhmann, zettelkasten