Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
solrach
solrach began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
MS OneNote and Calibre

I have a calibre managed library, so, I discard acces to the books paths..

What i want to do

Paste a link to a especified book and clicking the link, opens the book.. just like a normal path or http link, but in this case, the book is inside calibre library.

there's a simple way to do it?
Sorry, if already exists solution a for this, I can't find it searching the forum
solrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by solrach View Post

What i want to do

Paste a link to a especified book and clicking the link, opens the book.. just like a normal path or http link, but in this case, the book is inside calibre library.

Sorry, if already exists solution a for this, I can't find it searching the forum
a
select book in Calibre, Tap O, (do not change what you see) right-click:create shortcut. That is safe to move anyplace
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

a
What i want to do

I assume you want to open the book from a OneNote notebook entry.

Calbre does not publish book links in the manner OneNote (and Evernote) publish UUID based note links.

However in OneNote 2010 you can browse to a file via its Insert->Link function - click the folder icon to the right of the Address.

If you link to a file that is subsequently renamed (via edit to title and/or first author) or it's moved to another library the link will cease to function.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	151787  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
a
select book in Calibre, Tap O, (do not change what you see) right-click:create shortcut. That is safe to move anyplace
@solrach - If you Insert a hyperlink to a .LNK file and its name or location changes the hyperlink will cease to work.

If you try to embed .LNK file inside the note via OneNote's Insert->File function the file itself is embedded.

The following was wrong - sorry

Surprising, to me at least, is the fact that the service that repairs .LNK files when the target changes (Distributed Link Tracking), appears to operate on a .LNK files embedded in a OneNote note. I am almost certain it doesn't do it for .LNK files embedded in Evernote notes.

Once you've embedded the .LNK file in the note you can delete it - which is no bad thing.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-20-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: wrong information
Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #5
solrach

@theducks, thanks for the O shortcut
@BetterRed, thanks for your ideas, but the two that's what i want to avoid. if I modify the book in calibre, the lnk dont work anymore, and I dont want to duplicate a file embedding it in one note...

I dont need to open the book inside one note, just open the file (calibre, adobe, or word, the same for me) I want to acces it and read it.

Since Calibre acts like a librarian for human, providing the books, donlt seems imposible to provide a link to other apps...just thinking. its posible to implement a work around or plugin to provide UUID, on the fly location, or a number that calibre uses to identify that unique document?
Later, clicking that link, calibre or the OS with the prefixed app, can open the book
Old 09-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
@theducks, thanks for the O shortcut
@BetterRed, thanks for your ideas, but the two that's what i want to avoid. if I modify the book in calibre, the lnk dont work anymore, and I dont want to duplicate a file embedding it in one note...

I dont need to open the book inside one note, just open the file (calibre, adobe, or word, the same for me) I want to acces it and read it.

Since Calibre acts like a librarian for human, providing the books, donlt seems imposible to provide a link to other apps...just thinking. its posible to implement a work around or plugin to provide UUID, on the fly location, or a number that calibre uses to identify that unique document?
Later, clicking that link, calibre or the OS with the prefixed app, can open the book
Save to Folder?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

When I add a book I focus on getting the Author and Title exactly as I want them before I move the book from my Intake library into the destination library. Only then would I link the book folder or a format file into something like OneNote, the book directory and file names won't change if I edit the content of a format file or change the publisher, series number etc. That will only happen if I change a title or author, which is not something I would blithely do. Nor would I change a library name or move a library without a plan for dealing with the consequences.

Quote:
There would need to be a protocol handler for calibre links, i.e. something that knows what to do with a link that looks something like "calibre:///2cb0627e-f3d4-4481-8e6a-a7fb7a919ec7", as there are for links such as "onenote:///...section-id={2DA93EF0-591D-4FE2-B2A2-2A32053E0052} and "evernote:///view/.../9a96e1c8-de9c-44bf-9841-b60e9ee40830-394/".

I have no idea if a PI could advertise itself as the calibre protocol handler.

FWIW: In Evernote I make use of the Author and Book 'Permalinks' that are available from the calibre server, I could do the same in OneNote - in this respect EN and ON are more or less the same. Clicking a Book Permalink in a note takes me to the book's calibre server page in a web browser - where I can see the metadata and open a format file - obviously a server has to be running for relevant library.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-20-2016 at 11:56 PM. Reason: sloshes to slashes
Old 09-21-2016, 04:06 AM   #8
Joanna
Groupie
Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Joanna understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Quote:
There would need to be a protocol handler for calibre links, i.e. something that knows what to do with a link that looks something like "calibre:///2cb0627e-f3d4-4481-8e6a-a7fb7a919ec7"
This would be an amazing improvement for Calibre and its integration with other software!
Joanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
solrach

Well, seems no easy way.
I will suggest a protocol handler in another thread, to develop.

Via command line, The calibredb has a unique id for book (no matter author or title being changed), and calibre-viewer opens a book if a path is provided..so

So, How to obtain a path for a book with the id I'm interested?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna View Post
This would be an amazing improvement for Calibre and its integration with other software!
I've never 'agitated' for it because I'm more interested in linking authors across multiple calibre libraries to a Note Keeping application than I am in linking individual books to such applications.

If I want to keep notes for a book my first port of call is to use a long text column in calibre, if that's not 'good enough' I drop an empty free-standing .ONE file into the book.

If I have 'extra material' for a book that I can't store in the library then I create an EN Note in a Books Notebook and embed the extra material within it. And I link the calibre Book to the EN Book Note and vice versa. The link to the calibre library 'Book' is via its calibre-server Permalink.

I think a book's uuid plays a role in synchronising Calibre Library Manager (CLM) and Calibre Companion (CC) databases - but I'm not sure what purpose, if any, it has within the CLM and CC databases themselves.

And... if calibre had a protocol handler like EN and ON then what would it do, that calibre server doesn't now do, and will (hopefully) do when version 3 is released.

BR
Old 09-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #11
solrach

@BetterRed

How do you connect various articles / books to a project?.

I take onenote, put a comment, todo list, voice notes, graphics and things like 'read that article (stored in calibre)', or 'connect the dots betwen this article to that chapter in this book (stored too in calibre)'
Old 09-21-2016, 07:49 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@BetterRed

How do you connect various articles / books to a project?.

I take onenote, put a comment, todo list, voice notes, graphics and things like 'read that article (stored in calibre)', or 'connect the dots betwen this article to that chapter in this book (stored too in calibre)'
Within a Note I insert links to book(s) via calibre-server "http://blah blah" urls, not via file system "file:///blah blah" uris.

I run a calibre-server instance for each of my 3 'permanent' libraries _Main, _Journals and _Media, differentiated by port numbers 8081, 8082 and 8083 respectively. A calibre-server url for a book is of the form http://ip-address:port/browse/book/id

After starting the server, I can browse to the book in a browser and drag the url into the Note viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	151821

But in actual fact what I do is right click the page and copy the Rich HTML link and paste that - its one of the options of the CoLT extension. For that book it looks like "..:: calibre library ::.. Bleak House"

As for linking to specific paragraphs within an article, I've never tried to do that - I just write where to go in the article; i.e. section name, first few words of para, whatever... and use the readers search. I don't know if any of my reading gadgets provide any means of externally linking to a specific paragraph or page. Maybe the calibre Version 3.0 reader will - it's browser based so it's a possibility

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-21-2016 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 PM   #13
solrach

@BetterRed

Thanks, good to know a practical workflow (i dont want to link a paragraphs, btw, just a mention in the notes)

Maybe exists a list for Calibre 3 expected features?

Edit: I tried all your suggestions, works perfect, many thanks!

Last edited by solrach; 09-22-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Tags
link, onenote, paths