Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2023, 04:08 PM   #1
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle
Where did the Store Wish Lists go?

A few days ago I could still go to the Kindle Store on my Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) and get My Lists which have multiple eBook wish lists. Now, I can't find it at all on the Kindle. There's a "Your Reading Lists" but that just either gets stuck, goes blank, or goes away. What the heck is Amazon doing now?
meghane_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I never knew there was a wish list on the Kindle device, but there’s a wish list on amazon.com. I think it’s the same thing. I know on my kindle scribe You have to hit the “more” button then you tap on “your reading lists” and I believe your wish list is there.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 12:08 AM   #3
meghane_e
Connoisseur
meghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemeghane_e juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

The Wishlist only showed up on the Kindle eReader if you clicked on the Store icon. Then the More icon in the upper right. I don't think it was called Your Reading Lists prior to a few days ago. But aside from that, when I click it, nothing comes up. As I said it's blank or it's hanging. I have tried rebooting a couple of times.

I've had a Kindle eReader of some sort for 20+ years, so I'm not hallucinating this recent change.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:03 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghane_e View Post
I've had a Kindle eReader of some sort for 20+ years, so I'm not hallucinating this recent change.
I'd never bother with store on any ereader, I use Laptop/PC, and in the browser you can have multiple "wish lists" not just for ebooks.

It's September 2023 and the Kindle eReader was released in November 2007, initially in USA. So nearly 16 years ago, not 20+.

WiFi is better kept off on a Kindle to save battery and avoid unwanted updates because you can't ever go back if it's a broken update.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
A few days ago I could still go to the Kindle Store on my Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen) and get My Lists which have multiple eBook wish lists. Now, I can't find it at all on the Kindle. There's a "Your Reading Lists" but that just either gets stuck, goes blank, or goes away. What the heck is Amazon doing now?
"Your Reading Lists" pulled up my ebook wishlist on my 11th gen PW. But I've also got a tiny other ebook wishlist that it ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I'd never bother with store on any ereader, I use Laptop/PC, and in the browser you can have multiple "wish lists" not just for ebooks.

<snip>

WiFi is better kept off on a Kindle to save battery and avoid unwanted updates because you can't ever go back if it's a broken update.
People want what they want and like the features they like. There's a tendency here for people to use posts asking for help to soapbox their own preferences, which usually isn't helpful. There aren't all that many "Paul on the road to Damascus" reactions.

I keep the WiFi on because I like the sync feature. The battery still lasts a long time; it's worth it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2023, 08:58 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/me gets out spade and keeps digging.

I think the My Lists/Wish lists feature via browser on the Amazon website is a solution and more flexible (multiple lists and not just Kindles). Does that work on the Kindle Browser?
Allegedly you can even add non-Amazon items, but I've never tried it. Though my same login & pass works on USA, UK and German Marketplaces those have separate lists. Possibly only Japan needs a separately created account.

Irish Kindle owners can swap their Kindle Account (all the kindles on the Account) to be USA or UK, which affects prices, but the geo-limited sales are the UK list. I've no idea what happens to the "on device" Kindle Wish List, as I never knew it existed.
I see the recently updated PW3 (5.16.2.1.1, it was on 5.13.x and I wish I hadn't updated!) has a Reading List via Home (which seems mostly Adverts). It is some sort of list of books I already have and have read, not a Wish List of books to get.
No idea how that was populated. It's generally a ghastly GUI vs older.

The older FW on another PW3 is 5.12.4 and seems far better to browse the on device library. Its "Home" is a Library view like My Books on Kobo and better than the library view on 5.16.x but not same sorts and filters.

It also has "Your Reading Lists" on the menu, but also it's books I already have and have read, not a "Wish List".

I can't see a "Wish" type list on any Kindle I have, only on my Accounts on Amazon Marketplaces via web. To me a "Wish List" isn't a TBR pile, but a list of books (or anything) I might get. My UK Marketplace has Kindle, paper, video and other stuff lists. The DE and USA just have one list each.

The 5.12.x in Advanced Options > Home & Library lets you block marketing and have only a Library view.
The 5.16.x doesn't let you turn off Marketing on Home & Library. Instead there is are three options as to how Collections are listed. One option ONLY shows them under Collections, another is Favourite Collections always and third is traditional option of also listing Collections.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-19-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2023, 01:35 PM   #7
meghane_e
Connoisseur

Wow, ok. Sorry was confusing when I first started buying ebooks from Amazon (prc, mobi docs) and my first Kindle (2007, 15 years).

/response to opinionated non-solutions/
But no, all of you are missing the mark. I do NOT accept that managing my lists on a Laptop or Phone is an OK solution to my Kindle eReader > Store option to see my Wish Lists disappearing. That is stupid to be ok with that. If a company does not accommodate consumers, I just ignore them and give them no business. The only reason Kindle has become so popular was it's ease of use and integration with the Store.

If I want to read on my phone, I would not have a Kindle.
If I want to read on my laptop, well, I don't like that.
I'm on the verge of switching to a new brand of eReader.

The Kindle Browser has not improved in 15 years. It is slow, inconsistent and clunky.
/end MO

So ANYWAY, what happened to viewing Wish Lists on the Kindle eReader Store? It was there a last week.
Also, I am NOT referring to Your Reading Lists.

Last edited by meghane_e; 09-19-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
meghane_e
Connoisseur

Hmm, on Chat Support with Amazon. Looks like they did remove it. So, unless they put it back soon, guess I'm switching brands. Geeze what a hassle (6500+ books over _20_ years)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:37 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The wish lists are certainly still there. You go to Store, then tap the menu in upper right, and one of the options is New Wish List. Tapping that shows all of your wish lists.

Your Reading Lists is something different, and I almost never use that.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:44 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The wish lists are certainly still there. You go to Store
Where is Store?

Edit:
Ah, very bottom of the Home Screen on 5.16.x and on the Menu on 5.12.x and earlier.
Never knew there was a Wish list on that. Years since I browse Store on Kindle (Maybe with DXG). So slow and painful compared to Desktop Browser.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-19-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:53 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
The only reason Kindle has become so popular was it's ease of use and integration with the Store.
Ease of use and marketing. Most people still have never heard of another ereader.
It was even sold in supermarkets as well as Electrical goods stores in Ireland for a while.
No doubt store integration helped, but Sony, Binatone and others had integrated stores. Nook and Kobo still do.

Quote:
If I want to read on my phone, I would not have a Kindle.
If I want to read on my laptop, well, I don't like that.
I'm on the verge of switching to a new brand of eReader.
I switched ages ago, but still buy ebooks from Amazon. Kindle GUI and Collections got progressively more awkward and broken.
I read almost exclusively on eInk (100% of novels), used to be Kindle, now a Kobo Sage. About 90% of my ebooks are PD. I used to let Amazon "push" to the Kindle till I discovered that a backup couldn't be restored to a replacement Kindle. All ebooks are now downloaded and managed in Calibre.

Quote:
The Kindle Browser has not improved in 15 years. It is slow, inconsistent and clunky.
/end MO

So ANYWAY, what happened to viewing Wish Lists on the Kindle eReader Store? It was there a last week.
I think the browser is worse than 10 years ago.

I've never seen an on Kindle Wish List. Using a Kindle since 2013.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-19-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:37 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

[My] Reading List is my wishlist. So it's not as if Amazon changed the functionality, they changed the name and the access. I can still see my wishlist and purchase from it if I want. (I don't want, but that's not the point.)

Is the name change the hill you want to die on?
Old 09-19-2023, 04:20 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
[My] Reading List is my wishlist. So it's not as if Amazon changed the functionality, they changed the name and the access. I can still see my wishlist and purchase from it if I want. (I don't want, but that's not the point.)

Is the name change the hill you want to die on?
My Reading List is not the same as the Amazon Wish Lists. It's different, and you cannot edit it.

The Wish Lists are still available to look at (in the Kindle Store menu), with expected delete/move functionality. I think they only display first 100 results however.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:27 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My Reading List is not the same as the Amazon Wish Lists. It's different, and you cannot edit it.
Fair enough. It looked the same to me, but I clearly was mistaken.
Old 09-27-2023, 06:24 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

It's September 2023 and the Kindle eReader was released in November 2007, initially in USA. So nearly 16 years ago, not 20+.

Yep. I use amazon.com on PC. i never actually bought a book straight off a device
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote