Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
FrankKau
FrankKau began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
The cheepo dollar store clipons (mine was $1.50) are the way to go as long as you take into account whether the clip will fit. Mine came with watch batteries included so whenever they die, which shouldn't be for a long time, I can just chuck it and get a new one. Also if you hate a dollar store model, no big loss....give it to your kid to play with.
FrankKau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker View Post
I placed it on the top left corner which seemed to work out the best and most comfortably and found it very good to read with.
I'm also interested in the Mightbright Xtraflex 2, but it looks bulky and I'm concerned about the comfort factor, and also damage to my Reader (scratching).

Now that you've had the light a while, how do you find it?

Most reviews I have seen of the Xtraflex lights show them clipped to eReader covers, rather than to the reader itself. This makes perfect sense, and cover carries the weight, and the eReader is not put under any pressure.

But as we know the Kobo Reader does not have a case, and the official 'sleeve' cover is obviously not suitable for clipping a light to - not if you plan on reading at the same time!

I guess I can always buy the light, and if I decide it's not workable for me to clip it to the Reader I can always hold out for a decent cover...
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
Now that you've had the light a while, how do you find it?
I'm haooy with mine. I like the flexible goose neck and normally read in bed at night with the light attached to the top left corner.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem you will have with any clip on light is that it very well may scratch your reader or not fit all that well or both because you do not have a proper cover. It you had a proper cover, you could clip the light onto the cover without risking scratching your reader and you'd have a wider range of choices because they'd fit better onto a cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #20
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm haooy with mine. I like the flexible goose neck and normally read in bed at night with the light attached to the top left corner.
That's good to hear

I think I'll buy one, and figure out a cover solution later.

In the meantime I figure the light won't scratch the back of the Reader (yay for quilted rubber!), and I may try placing a small piece of felt or soft fabric between the clip and the front of the reader to stop them directly touching.
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #21
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
That's good to hear

I think I'll buy one, and figure out a cover solution later.

In the meantime I figure the light won't scratch the back of the Reader (yay for quilted rubber!), and I may try placing a small piece of felt or soft fabric between the clip and the front of the reader to stop them directly touching.
My experience is that a small piece of rubber (I cut a piece off an old bicycle inner tube) prevents scratches and gives good grip as well. Cloth or felt would prevent scratches, but not sure if it would grip as well.
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #22
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

I ordered a clip on from eBay for $6.95. It has a single LED and takes three AAA batteries. It has rubber on one side of the clip and I put sticky back foam weather stripping on the other side. It has a flexible goose neck and works pretty well. My only complaint is it is a bit bulky and throws off the balance of the device.
Here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Led-Book-Light-fo...item414fe40d4f
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
artificial
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
My experience is that a small piece of rubber (I cut a piece off an old bicycle inner tube) prevents scratches and gives good grip as well.
Thanks for the tip! I bought my light yesterday, should have it in a few days.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #24
artificial
Groupie

I'm just reporting back about the Mightbright XtraFlex 2 light.

It works great, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that the clip has foam padding attached, so scratching won't be a problem!

The light is very bright, and thanks to the swivel neck is easy to position in a way that eliminates glare.

The lamp is about as heavy as I expected. When positioned at the top left of the Kobo it adds enough weight that one handed reading would be uncomfortable. When positioned at the bottom left I think one handed reading would be a possibility.

I am mindful of Baker's warning that when positioned at bottom left it might cause flexing of the Kobo's frame, so I think I'll play it safe and keep it at top left.

I think I will be buying a DermaPad Kobo case, which looks like it would fold back in a manner that is very suitable to attaching a lamp, and seems the preferred method for using lamps with eReaders.

Something I did not realise about the light is that it can be used in a free standing position, which might be handy for someone who had a night stand on which to rest it. I don't but I'm going to try clipping it to the bed head and shining it over my shoulder

Here in Australia the XtraFlex 2 is imported by a company called Arnott's (not the biscuit company): http://arnottsgadgetman.com/productv...uctid=SMMBXF-2

I bought mine on ebay from a local (Melbourne) store, and it arrived the next business day.

For anyone who has to read in low light while in bed this lamp should be a good solution.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This might be an option --> http://www.energizer.ca/lighting-personal.aspx

I do see it at Futureshop
This one works well if you get the little circular stick on velcro pieces and put one pr of velcro pads on the front and back of the kobo and one pr on the inside of the clip. Keeps it secure and it is easy to remove. If you have white kobo then get white velcro
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #26
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
Kobo CEO Michael Serbinis just posted on the facebook forum that a clip on light is coming. Here's the thread:

Michael Serbinis: It appears that we started a trend with our $149 Kobo eReader....Kobo eReaders have been sold out repeatedly, and new shipments are on their way to retailers.

The rumour is, new Kobo's are coming for the fall too...

Send me your wishlist...as Kobo's CEO, I get some say in the matter

Mike Serbinis, Kobo CEO

JO: The option for a light. I can't do without the LED light on the case for my Sony Reader.

AN: How about a HOT PINK button instead of blue.... a choice of colors would be nice...I already own a black kobo and a white kobo.

LOVE THEM BOTH!

And yeah, a light would be nice but I don't know if I want the battery to be depleted because of it...but a clip on light as an accessory would be nice..

Michael Serbinis: A built in light will drain the battery. Clip on lights are coming.

Michael Serbinis: Hot "Kobo" Magenta is in consideration

Last edited by jimr; 06-21-2010 at 10:23 PM.
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #27
Musketeer
Musketeer began at the beginning.

Last weekend I ordered one of these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BLACK-LED-Cli...item3caceb3f17

I'll let you know how good it works on the Kobo when it gets here.

The Kobo is nice and light and I don't want to clip on something heavy so I was looking for something as small as possible. Some clip on lights seem to have quite large clips and hold 2 or 3 AAA batteries. This one takes a button type battery and looks fairly small. Hopefully it will work out ok.
Musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
DouglasK
DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.DouglasK knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Onyx Note Air3, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7 (2013)
I can't speak for others, but I use (and LOVE) the Belkin eBook Light. It's advertised for Kindle, but fits Kobo perfectly.

As it uses AAA batteries, the battery life is amazing. I highly recommend it.
DouglasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #29
JiMiTHiNG
JiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJiMiTHiNG has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Wifi
I did some reading and saw a few people give props to the Lyra light, made for the Nook, working great for Kobo. I've bought it and got to say its perfect. Just the right amount of light for reading at night. Its also light enough weight wise that it doesn't hinder the experience.
JiMiTHiNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #30
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
I got the Verso Clip Light right from Chapters, the white one to match my kobo (very stylish ). I do like it a lot. It fits the kobo very well; the gooseneck is nicely adjustable to avoid glare spots or even angle it away from shining at my sleeping husband in bed.
It is, however, very bright; so I made a little sleeve out of cream-coloured paper which I slip over it to dim the light to less glare. The other problem is that sometimes when it's been on for a longer time the switch doesn't want to turn off any more, so then I have to pop open the battery compartment, take out the batteries and put them back in until next time. I've been meaning to get it exchanged at Chapters, but might have missed the boat on that (I've had it since Christmas).

Last edited by amo; 04-07-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: fixed link
amo is offline   Reply With Quote