Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Fictionwise discontinues Buywise Club

Given the recent brouhaha about agency pricing, I was curious how my main ebook source, Fictionwise.com, would be changing their Buywise loyalty club.

Well, apparently, they have decided to simply discontinue it without bothering to announce the fact anywhere but this hard-to-find page on their site:

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/buyw...scontinued.htm

Links to to the old Buywise Club page have been removed from the site, and the digging through the FAQ only leads to the page above.

My account still shows a membership expiration date in 2015 since I paid for 5 years during last year's Buywise sale, and pricing on ebooks in my cart continue to reflect the 15% Buywise discount, but there is no way to obtain a membership now if you don't already have one.

I have written to Fictionwise to find out what will happen to existing memberships re: 15% discount, members-only sales, and the possibility of receiving store credit or refunds for the unused portions of our memberships.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This is probably just the first step to Fictionwise.com (and eReader.com) going away altogether in favor of barnesandnobel.com. (Which I predicted would happen eventually.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Looks like just no new memberships, but current memberships are ok.

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/buywise_message.htm
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
Looks like just no new memberships, but current memberships are ok.

http://www.fictionwise.com/help/buywise_message.htm
That wording certainly sounds better than what they had up before:

Quote:
The Fictionwise Buywise Club progam has been discontinued. We thank you for you patronage and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you.

- The Fictionwise Team
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
It sounds better, but it's still annoying.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean FW is going away as they're the only decent place to get e-subscriptions.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
insofar as they seem to be putting out fewer and fewer books in mobipocket format they are no longer my vendor of choice.
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsussman View Post
insofar as they seem to be putting out fewer and fewer books in mobipocket format they are no longer my vendor of choice.
They do seem to be favoring eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I wonder what will happen to their rebate program? Will they only allow rebates to books that are not in the Agency model?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
With the agency model, the Buywise discounts are probably a big hit to their income--losing 15% means losing half their share of the price.

Or possibly, the publishers demanded that they discontinue it; it's possible that Apple & Amazon's "nobody is allowed to offer lower prices" contracts would clash with FW offering discounts and micropay dollars. FW may have worked out something where they stopped offering new Buywise subscriptions rather than canceling all their existing ones (requiring lots of refunds, and possibly lawsuits).

It's possible that the big 5 publishers will insist their content be removed from *all* bargains, and FW is anticipating having to make refunds, and is aware that they won't be able to effectively sell new Buywise subscriptions that only work on part of the site. And they may not want to bother coding the site to have it only work on some content.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So how much would it cost us to take out Apple? ALL of apple, not just Steve Jobs.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-30-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Prediction: Micropay will still work for books. Micropay discounts will go away for any book covered by Agency Model. I am also guessing that Buywise discounts will still apply, but we'll see. I am guessing that they negotiated this with the various publishers. I could be wrong, in which case there will be some angry consumers.

I am not a buywise member because I missed the 100% rebate, and without that, concluded it would not save me money (I was wrong, it would have).

On the balance, I am betting my wishlist will get cheaper. It is currently $356.00 with an average of $8.68 and only $3.50 in offered Micropay rebates. Since I usually grab ereader books, add an additional $17.80 in rebates, for a total (less rebates) of $334.70.

If my wishlist was at BN or Amazon, I am betting it would be about $284 (20% less).
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
If my wishlist was at BN or Amazon, I am betting it would be about $284 (20% less).
If your wishlist was at B&N, 90% would be eReader if not more.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I think FW might be in real trouble. If there is no variation in price, than as Kobo said on their blog, stores will have to compete on customer experience. And it seems like sticking with eReader might be a real detriment to FW since it cannot be read on as many devices and has not become a standard like epub has. I really think Kobo is going to be my store of choice from now on. No exchange rate issues (although I will be stuck paying GST) and better Canadian selection. Plus it will not be cluttered up with all the multiformat pulp I have purchased over the years just to spend my rebates. It will be a nice, clean bookshelf of only carefully chosen books in nice, universal epub.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #14
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I wrote and requested a pro rated refund of my buywise club membership. I bought a five year membership on the basis that all fictionwise ebooks would be 15% off for a club member. I have three years left on my membership.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane View Post
I wrote and requested a pro rated refund of my buywise club membership. I bought a five year membership on the basis that all fictionwise ebooks would be 15% off for a club member. I have three years left on my membership.
I'm not requesting a refund. I want to see what happens come April.