Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #31
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not to mention the different title!
Golden Compass/Northern Lights being another prime example of how things can change (although in this instance, the movie made the change rather than country!)
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #32
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
PieOPah, I just find learning a "new language" fun. Based on your initial post, I was prepared to say you should just use Word's US dictionary but as the thread progressed I realized that wasn't what you wanted.

Before Mobileread BLOG, I was only aware of a few differences in spelling and grammar, namely color - colour. I have enjoyed reading posts by several of our UK members and seeing the differences. My grandfather was a British citizen who emigrated to the US so I have picked up some things that way. I've picked up many more from Harry & others here. I like to try to understand the "how's" of language evolution but first I need to learn the "what's".

Definitely didn't mean to upset (flame) you. (BTW that's a new term for me. Thanks.)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #33
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Mobileread blog? Where's that?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #34
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Most of our books come from PG sources, and PG specifically say that they do not aim to make their books conform to a specific edition or source, and that often they use multiple sources. It's generally, therefore, not easy to answer the question "what edition does this come from".

When I proof-read books against a specific edition, I generally say in my comments what that edition is. When I've been proof-reading Dickens (my favourite author) using "Google Books" scans, I've been surprised to see just how very different the different editions are in terms of punctuation, spelling, and even, on occasions, the actual text itself.
I really think that the origin (PG in most cases) should be noted. I did not know that PG did not care about the edition. I really appreciate when it is noted which edition it has been proof read against (as i think you do).
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #35
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
When I've been proof-reading Dickens (my favourite author) using "Google Books" scans, I've been surprised to see just how very different the different editions are in terms of punctuation, spelling, and even, on occasions, the actual text itself.
Of course, Dickens is best when read in the original Klingonese.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 AM   #36
Artair
Artair began at the beginning.

Device: none
I admire your hard work.Let me tell you 1 thing you don't need to write Macro code,it already exist in MS office.
Artair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:27 AM   #37
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artair View Post
I admire your hard work.Let me tell you 1 thing you don't need to write Macro code,it already exist in MS office.
Care to tell me how I could do this in MS OFfice at the click of a button? I am aware that there is a spell check and I am aware that I can find/replace, but this all takes time - spell check every single word, find/replace still one word at a time.

My macro is a one click and it checks everything I tell it.

If this feature already exists in MS Word, I Have NEVER come across it before - and I have been using it exclusively for over 16 years!
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote