Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Make everyone happy with easy easy to change button funnction.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #17
Danimus
Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Danimus knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Pro
Hi Booxtor,
Tnx for keeping us updated with development of 13.3" device.
I really hope that device will be released next year even without some functionalities (stylus only, ...). Let us have a device that we can use and judge so you can improve it based on the feedback.
Regarding buttons placement. Why M92/M96 buttons placement is not applicable to 13.3" device?
I'm not sure if device will be held below or in the middle while reading. I think that buttons should be need holding point.
For me M92/M96 buttons placement and joystick are just great.
BR
Danimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Concerning stylus only I agree with you.. but it is better to accept this for the first version and eventually move from the dead point.

It will be equipped with wifi, bluetooth, speakers, but neither G-sensor, nor GPS, nor camera.

I suggested to re-design buttons like this: http://c2n.me/3pYnopV.jpg
What do you think about my proposal?
I'm waiting for large E Ink reader more then 10 years so I guess I can wait another year. If I'll still be alive...

Large screen (A4), Bluetooth and finger touch is essential for musicians. I already have Bluetooth hands-free page turner to turn the sheet music so I really have no preference for the buttons. It would better to have none. Just on screen and hardware on/off.

There is no need for any bells and whistles like camera, GPS, sensors, speakers/volume...
I am looking for large electronic paper to get rid of piles of sheets and music books. Without being tied to the electric socket every day like with tablets.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #19
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
I'm waiting for large E Ink reader more then 10 years...
Me too. In addition to what you said about using this for sheet music, this device has the potential for adding marks using the stylus, which is a requirement for me in a sheet music application.

I started the process of scanning my sheet music library years ago (and getting rid of the boxes of paper), but still do not have a good device for viewing and interacting with my digital documents.

Last edited by toronado; 11-07-2015 at 05:55 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #20
Xen
Connoisseur
Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Xen can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle

Last edited by Xen; 08-23-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #21
NNN
NNN is on a distinguished road

Device: MessgePad 2100
Quote:
Concerning stylus only I agree with you.. but it is better to accept this for the first version and eventually move from the dead point.

It will be equipped with wifi, bluetooth, speakers, but neither G-sensor, nor GPS, nor camera.

I suggested to re-design buttons like this: http://c2n.me/3pYnopV.jpg
What do you think about my proposal?
Yes, the buttons look better split. For right-handed stylus use, back/undo and home buttons should be near left hand. Best would be two, split sets of user-assignable buttons. Stylus is much better than finger for handwriting. Handwriting recognition is best where the writer can write anywhere on the screen, like with the Newton Messagepad.
NNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:53 AM   #22
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
I vote for an activate/deactivate touch screen, so if you like only-buttons you have it but if you need/want a touch screen... well no problem, again you have it.
There's same funtion on android with apps but i think is better with a simple button
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:03 AM   #23
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Thank you, Booxtor, for your informative and receptive posts. Like Rizla, I would definitely like the new models to support less usual use cases such as their use as a monitor in some form.

The new positioning and layout of the buttons is certainly interesting as much as it looks like a regression from the M9X models, for instance in relation to where/how they are likely to be held. I suspect quite a few other orderings and layouts (such as that you and others have suggested) would be superior to the initial prototype one. I presume that this means that there is no joystick either. Others have already noted the mobile phone like trends. Does this mean that the hardware buttons are (gradually) going way? I don't know whether this is a particularly good or bad thing, but I would certainly encourage supporting the widest range of possible options for interacting with the device.

I can't see bluetooth and wireless being an issue. However, USB OTG functionality (USB host mode) definitely seems to have become an issue with the M96 in spite of the fact that, no doubt, the hardware supports it. Particularly in the light of the possibly diminished ways of interacting with such a device, I would hope that USB host mode as the basis for other options, such as high quality (eg. mechanical)(as opposed to merely bluetooth) keyboards, for example, would be supported. For instance, one of the less complicated ways of using such a device as a monitor would be to run the software on the device itself (accepting both its and Android's likely limitations).
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
For the buttons, I think the best place is where the hands takes the device. It's then possible to use the buttons, like the M92, with the thumbs. Ths Booxtor's solution is really better than the choice for the prototype.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:59 PM   #25
celticgirl
Enthusiast
celticgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo SONY
I'm in
celticgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Some minor design improvements are possible, though. I already suggested some: another buttons order, engraved buttons instead of printed icons, possibly thinner frame etc.
I think that the most important thing with buttons is to have all three standard Android buttons available in hardware form. Home, back, menu. Some Android e-ink readers lack those and using stock android launchers and / or alternative reading apps is PITA, because you have to use button saviour or other software that gets in way of reading.
Physical button forward (and to a smaller extent button back) should be "under the thumb" when holding device in either hand.
The legendary PocketBook 360° had physical buttons at one side and you could turn the device 90°, 180°, 270°, hence the 360° in the name. If you wanted to use the device with the left hand you just turned the screen upside-down.

If you want to do something very special, yet, easy to manufacture, include a lid that can be snapped on the front of the device as a display cover or on the back of the device to stow it away. No manufacturer does this, but with the old PocketBook 360° this was a very popular feature.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #27
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you want to do something very special, yet, easy to manufacture, include a lid that can be snapped on the front of the device as a display cover or on the back of the device to stow it away. No manufacturer does this, but with the old PocketBook 360° this was a very popular feature.
This makes sense for a 5" screen, but I'm not so sure about a 13.3" screen. It would add a lot of weight to an already heavy device.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #28
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
There is also the issue of on-device stylus storage with the M9X models, that is, there being none. I presume a larger device might make addressing this less of a problem than with the smaller models.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #29
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
I vote for an activate/deactivate touch screen, so if you like only-buttons you have it but if you need/want a touch screen... well no problem, again you have it.
There's same funtion on android with apps but i think is better with a simple button
I would vote for this feature for any eReader I was looking at buying. Yes, I use the touch screen any time I'm navigating to a new book, or when changing settings, etc -- but when I'm actually reading I use only the page turn buttons, so would like to avoid the inevitable occasional accidental touch screen touches.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #30
Davide-NYC
Davide-NYC began at the beginning.

Device: 13.3 ereader
Thank you for this interesting news.

Obvious questions:
- when will this be available?
- how much will it cost?
Davide-NYC is offline   Reply With Quote