Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Invincible but functional HTML page in epub?

Hi All,
Can I not include a html file in OPF's spine toc section? Thus making it an invincible file and use this page for popup in epub2? This appears to work in iBooks but not in NOOKs (I'm really starting to dislike creating files for Nook...so many things it doesnt support, even in epub2).

I have anchor points setup in "invincible" files and have text links calling up like an popup. I thought its pretty nice until I realize it doesnt work in Nook. I only get an warning in epubcheck and not an error.

Thanks!
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Do you mean 'invisible'?

Regardless, you don't put html files in the spine at all. You put 'itemrefs' in the spine... that correspond to the ids of the html 'items' in the manifest.

If you don't want those items to appear in the normal flow (as dictated by the spine) of the ebook, then your only recourse is to add the 'linear="no"' attribute to the itemref in the spine. But support for it is quite spotty in all the most popular readers and apps. It won't work in most ADE-based environments (that I know of).

I'm not sure if "popups" of any kind are going to work on any epub reader that doesn't support at least some of the epub3 spec (like iBooks). Once again, this is going to leave out most of the current crop of ADE-based readers and apps.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-30-2013 at 12:31 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
Lancelot
Enthusiast
Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Lancelot , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
LOL, yes..."invisible"! Thank you for the quick response. I checked epub 2 specs again where this is mentioned...since it's optional, NOOK is ignoring linear="no"...which means I'm out of luck.

Now I'm just mad...they can't get epub 2 support right and they (the entire book industry) keep preaching about the impending epub 3?!
Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
they can't get epub 2 support right and they (the entire book industry) keep preaching about the impending epub 3?!
Just so. You have no idea how much all the various "they" don't get it right...

Hint: do a search for posts from Hitch, she reports a vast amount of what should (according to specs) and doesn't work on various reading systems from a pros POV. It's hair-raising.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote