Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Tramsden
Tramsden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Converting to azw3 format.

Hi
If I have .mobi format books do I gain anything by converting to azw3.
Is it best to convert to azw3 from ePub format.
Which will give the best option

Thanks
Tony
Tramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
azw is Amazon's proprietary format, which is mobi, with some minor differences.

ePub is a totally different ebook format.

You can't convert from azw to mobi unless you break Amazon's encryption, which can be illegal in some countries.

Converting from mobi to azw makes no sense to me.

Also, if you're planning to read on a Kindle device, you'll, need the book in azw or mobi format, not ePub.

Last edited by jocampo; 01-01-2013 at 05:59 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
From what I read, the AZW3 format is more powerful than the mobi format in terms of layout and such. Therefore, it's better to convert epubs to AZW3 files. However, you probably won't gain anything if you convert from mobi to AZW3. I'm not sure how much of the original data is kept during the conversion process, but if you convert from epub to mobi and then to AZW3, the "extra" that could have been converted from the epub to the AZW3 is already lost because of the mobi. Again, I didn't test this theory and someone might confirm it, but that's the conclusion that seems the most logic to me.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPE View Post
I'm not sure how much of the original data is kept during the conversion process, but if you convert from epub to mobi and then to AZW3, the "extra" that could have been converted from the epub to the AZW3 is already lost because of the mobi. Again, I didn't test this theory and someone might confirm it, but that's the conclusion that seems the most logic to me.
You may be right.

Converting to another format should not give enhancements that the book doesn't have. I believe it depends of the original layout; the target ebook format will adjust accordingly.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I read on this forum that epub and AZW3 both support more advanced layout (etc.) options than the mobi format. Also, from my observations, epubs and AZW3 display almost (if not completely) identical. In this case, that means :

epub & AZW3 > mobi
epub --> mobi = mobi quality
mobi --> epub = mobi quality
epub --> AZW3 = epub/AZW3 (same) quality
epub --> mobi --> AZW3 = mobi quality

Again, this is just based on observations, no actual scientific-ish testing.
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Isn't there a way to read compressed (or uncompressed) HTML files with the kindle?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
HYPE
Groupie

Yes, HTML is on the supported formats lists. Epubs are also basically HTML.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Firefox is capable of saving to a complete web page.
The only problem is that pictures are in a separate folder.
I wonder if the Kindle (I have a Paperwhite) will be able to read from external sources (HTML usually has a separate HTML folder with the pics and other attachments in).

If that's the case, they're not that far off in making a Kindle e-pub compatible; but I guess they don't want to (rather than can't)...
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
HYPE
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Firefox is capable of saving to a complete web page.
The only problem is that pictures are in a separate folder.
I wonder if the Kindle (I have a Paperwhite) will be able to read from external sources (HTML usually has a separate HTML folder with the pics and other attachments in).

If that's the case, they're not that far off in making a Kindle e-pub compatible; but I guess they don't want to (rather than can't)...
A separate HTML folder for pictures? There's no such thing as an "HTML folder". It's just a basic folder, nothing exclusive to HTML. Also, don't forget the CSS. No respectable developer would embed CSS directly into an HTML file.

The problem, as you guessed it, is not that Amazon aren't capable of making the Kindle epub compatible, it's that they don't want to.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The problem, as you guessed it, is not that Amazon aren't capable of making the Kindle epub compatible, it's that they don't want to.
Of course they don't want to - they'd be fools to do so. Amazon sell the Kindle at more or less cost price, in the expectation that you'll buy from their bookstore. They certainly don't want you to buy books from B&N or Kobo.

The modern Kindle KF8 format is pretty much ePub 3 in a Mobi "wrapper".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
HYPE
Groupie

@HarryT : Yep, I know. Thank "god" for Calibre and DeDRM!
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
epub & AZW3 > mobi
epub --> mobi = mobi quality
mobi --> epub = mobi quality
epub --> AZW3 = epub/AZW3 (same) quality
epub --> mobi --> AZW3 = mobi quality
That's an extremely good summary. I'd also add

AZW3 --> epub = epub/AZW3 (same) quality
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote