Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #46
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
How do I stop it from updating? I don't want to lose my hacks.
I thought the updates won't come through if you have a hack on your Kindle. Is that not correct?
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #47
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool i belive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I thought the updates won't come through if you have a hack on your Kindle. Is that not correct?
i'm no expert, but it's my understanding that after the update file gets pushed to your kindle then the kindle tries to install it and if your kindle is jail-broken the update will fail and just leave the update file in your root folder. maybe someone who knows more than i do can/will verify this.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 PM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Most (if not every) recent (ie. pretty much anything I ever released, since the 2.5 era) jailbreaks & non intrusive hacks let official updates pass through unhampered.

(In fact, that was pretty much part of the whole point of the thing, be less intrusive, and thus easily removable).

What said new official updates then might do to the hacks already installed is another thing . I can't say for certain that it won't break/disable this or that until I can put my hands on an updated device, and my K3 is currently still happily running FW 3.1 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-22-2011 at 12:25 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #49
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That makes you King of the Amazons
Death by snoo snoo?
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #50
buckrogers
buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G
Hello all. New here. First visit. Just registered. First post.

I found myself here because this morning my Kindle 3G updated itself out of the blue to version 3.3, and I wanted to know what it was. I was previously on whatever the very last version was.

I was a little taken aback when it happened as it was unexpected, and my wireless was off. About half an hour earlier I had turned my wifi on very briefly to download a couple of samples. I can only assume the update downloaded itself then, and installed itself the next time it was idle? A little choice and/or warning might have been nice!

I have been searching to see what was in the update, but so far have found nothing. I'm not even sure if the whole Library thing is applicable here in the UK, but I have read that people were able to borrow books in versions preceding 3.3, so it can't be just that, can it?

Also wanted to say that several months ago I installed the Screensavers hack (I just could not put up with those awful screensavers a minute longer!). I installed kindle-jailbreak-0.6.N, and kindle-ss-0.20.N, and I wanted to confirm for you all that after this 3.3 update my screensaver hack is still working fine. Phew. I hope this isn't followed shortly with a 'was'

Hopefully we'll find out what the update was all about soon? I don't like not knowing, it makes me feel like I'm not in control of my own device.

That'll be all for now folks. Ciao.
buckrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #51
Linkas
Linkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you want to borrow books from library you must have a library card. All libraries which cooperate with amazon are from U.S (maybe Canada too).
Linkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #52
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers View Post
Hello all. New here. First visit. Just registered. First post.

I found myself here because this morning my Kindle 3G updated itself out of the blue to version 3.3, and I wanted to know what it was. I was previously on whatever the very last version was.
Welcome to MobileRead!

I'm just curious, do you have the Kindle 3G with Special Offers (with ads) or the model without ads?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #53
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Welcome to MobileRead!

I'm just curious, do you have the Kindle 3G with Special Offers (with ads) or the model without ads?
We don't have the Kindle SO in the UK...
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #54
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
We don't have the Kindle SO in the UK...
Thanks, grizedale. I wasn't sure if KSO is offered in Europe.

I don't have wifi where I am right now and updates aren't delivered via 3G, so I'll go to a public wifi hotspot and see if the 3.3 update appears on my Kindle. That's what I did for the 3.1 update.

Added: It's very odd that 3.1 (which is what I have) is still shown as the latest version at Amazon. That's why I wondered if this was for special-offers models only.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 09-22-2011 at 01:44 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #55
buckrogers
buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.buckrogers once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Welcome to MobileRead!

Hello to you.

Ermmm, I think grizedale has answered that question for me already
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I'm running v3.3 on a KSO WiFi. I've downloaded several Kindle books from the Seattle Public Library. They're Kindle books, not EPUB; and Amazon fulfills the order, not ADE.

Checking Out a Book
  • go to your library's OverDrive page and login
  • search for the book you want
  • select Kindle Book
  • click Add to Cart
  • click Proceed to Checkout
  • select lending period (7-14-21 days)
  • click Confirm Check Out
  • click Get for Kindle
  • that launches an Amazon page - Your Public Library Loan
  • select Deliver to option
  • click Get library book
The book is then sent to your Kindle or Kindle app and downloads the next time you connect it to wifi.

Returning a Book
  • login to your Amazon account
  • go to Your Account
  • scroll down to Digital Content
  • click Manage Your Kindle
  • Your Kindle Library pops up
  • checked out books have a bold, orange public library after the title
  • find the book you want and click on the Actions box to the far right
  • select Return this book
  • Are you sure you want to return this Library Loan Ebook? Yes--No
So checking out a book works very similarly to the way I had guessed before.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
buckrogers

Quote:

Added: It's very odd that 3.1 (which is what I have) is still shown as the latest version at Amazon. That's why I wondered if this was for special-offers models only.
I noticed that this morning too. It's the same on the UK site. 3.1 is the current listed software update.

The curiosity mounts. . .
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #58
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
The curiosity mounts. . .
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #59
buckrogers

Quote:
"Curiouser and curiouser!"
...said Alice indignantly, and she sat down in a large arm-chair at one end of the table and demanded to know just what the heck had happened to her Kindle...
Old 09-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #60
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
...said Alice indignantly, and she sat down in a large arm-chair at one end of the table and demanded to know just what the heck had happened to her Kindle...
LOL

btw, welcome to the board
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote