Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If FW were to be "absorbed" into B&N, it would be very significant for those of us outside north america. B&N only sell the people in north america.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #32
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
You know what email I got from Fictionwise today? One notifying me that they're running a special 25/25 deal on suspense/thriller titles through April 4. Now I ask you, if this new agency model pricing is supposed to take effect starting tomorrow, how is that deal going to work?

Oh--and not a word from them about discontinuing the Buywise Club. Surprise, surprise.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I'm with HarryT - Fictionwise's geo restrictions had workarounds - but B&N don't, and I'm not a fan of ereader format either. FW had started to do EPUBs for some titles, or otherwise I bought LIT and downconverted.

My Buywise membership is up in December but as long as I can spend the Micropay dollars I'll be ok. My concern is that if FW folds, converting the Micropay dollars to a B&N voucher is useless to anyone outside the US
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
I'm with HarryT - Fictionwise's geo restrictions had workarounds - but B&N don't, and I'm not a fan of ereader format either. FW had started to do EPUBs for some titles, or otherwise I bought LIT and downconverted.

My Buywise membership is up in December but as long as I can spend the Micropay dollars I'll be ok. My concern is that if FW folds, converting the Micropay dollars to a B&N voucher is useless to anyone outside the US
I doubt those of us in the US would get to convert Micropay to use with B&N. Besides, I don't want eReader which is all that B&N is selling now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #35
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
"The Fictionwise Buywise Club can no longer be renewed and new subscriptions are no longer available. All existing Buywise Club members may continue to use their benefits until their memberships expire.

- The Fictionwise Team"

While this doesn't seem to be a reason to panic, I am planning to use the 2 free ebook ($10) coupons I got with my 2 year membership renewel soon. Since I renewed my membership during the 100% micropay rebate, it has more than paid for itself already for me. I have about 2.5 years left on my membership. I wouldn't think they would use the above wording if they were planning to close the store. I know there are alot of people with more time left on the their memberships than I have.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #36
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I doubt those of us in the US would get to convert Micropay to use with B&N. Besides, I don't want eReader which is all that B&N is selling now.
what? I thought most of the B&N books where ePub seeing as the nook is ePub with the "social" DRM added to the most recent version of the Adobe Content Server and Mobile Reader SDK?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #37
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
I certainly hope Fictionwise does NOT go away. They've always been highly supportive of small publishers. Wrapping them into B&N would be a negative, from my perspective.

As far as mobipocket is concerned, I think FW tries to make books available in every format they can. They bought eReader because they were concerned about having control over a DRM format in an era where their competitors did (and I imagine because it was a bargain).

A year or so ago, I'd heard they were merging eReader with ePub. Anyone heard anything on that recently?

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #38
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Club Discount's are still active.

This is from Steven King's "Under the Dome".
Regular Club
List Price: $35.00 $29.75
You Pay: $20.00 $17.00
Micropay Rebate: $20.00 $17.00
Cost After Rebate: $0.00 $0.00
You Save: 100% 100%

The only problem is they are no longer accepting new memberships or renewals. I'm kicking myself for not buying a 5 year membership last September when they had the 100% micropay rebate. Only 2 years left on my membership.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
what? I thought most of the B&N books where ePub seeing as the nook is ePub with the "social" DRM added to the most recent version of the Adobe Content Server and Mobile Reader SDK?

BOb
The free Star Wars eBook that I downloaded as ePub is not downloading as eReader. To me, this says they are not doing epub and doing eReader instead. Plus Sunborn is also in eReader and not ePub and it just came out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
How can you tell when your membership is up? I think I only bought one year to try it out, and I did just that. I have $100+ in my micropay account. I haven't bought anything lately, as it wasn't in the format I wanted or it was cheaper elsewhere.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #41
BookLoverToo
Enthusiast
BookLoverToo doesn't litterBookLoverToo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The free Star Wars eBook that I downloaded as ePub is not downloading as eReader. To me, this says they are not doing epub and doing eReader instead. Plus Sunborn is also in eReader and not ePub and it just came out.
Are you using a Mac? I have found that the Mac version of the B&N software downloads eReader, where the Windows version downloads ePub. Thanks to another user who I can't remember for that tip!
BookLoverToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM   #42
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by katewilly View Post
How can you tell when your membership is up? I think I only bought one year to try it out, and I did just that. I have $100+ in my micropay account. I haven't bought anything lately, as it wasn't in the format I wanted or it was cheaper elsewhere.
Log into your FW account, then click on your Bookshelf link. There will be a box on the left side of the screen that tells you when your Buywise club membership expires.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #43
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I got the same form response when I wrote them asking about what was going on. What good does my buyer's club do me if the books I expected to be able to buy are no longer offered at Fictionwise?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #44
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I read somewhere there was a problem with converting from ereader to epub so they (B&N) were temporarily going back to all ereader... and also a problem reading the epubs on the iphone. I don't remember where I read this though.

Quote:
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #45
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Fictionwise has simply said they've discontinued the Buywise Club. They've said nothing about micropay and I don't think there's any reason to jump to the conclusion that the agency model will necessarily bring an end to micropay. All I've seen on the agency model thus far is that it requires books be sold at a certain price. I would consider micropay less of an actual rebate (since you don't get money back) and more of an offering of store credit for using Fictionwise. It's rewarding loyalty. If that can be exploited under the agency model, then it might actually give Fictionwise a boost--at least until other stores start to implement something similar.
I think you are probably right. Nevertheless, I am going to be using my ~80 micropay dollars when I get home tonight.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote