Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
cinabar
cinabar began at the beginning.

Device: SonyReader, Palm
Unhappy LockUp

Hey there, could use some help. My reader is locked up. I plugged it into my USB port to charge it and when I went back the little connecting icon is still on and all buttons are locked even when disconnected from the USB port. Reset does nothing. Any ideas? The bad news is that I'm out of the country on a business trip and reader is useless for me right now Thanks.
cinabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:37 AM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I wonder if the battery is completely dead, and it just left the last screen on the display? Weird, but it would match the symptoms you're seeing.

Do you have the Connect software installed on the laptop? If not, it might not have charged the battery, even though it was showing that it was connected. That would eventually run down the battery. When you plug it into the computer, does the red light above the power switch light? If not, it's not charging.

If you've got the wall charger, or can borrow one that might be worth trying.

Also, if you have a card installed, you might try resetting the Reader after taking it out. It might have somehow become corrupted.

Finally, you might try the hard reset described here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8118
but you'll apparently lose any content on the reader.

Good Luck!

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If the battery is completely flat (eg if you left the MP3 player playing!) USB charging won't work, but the wall charger should bring it back to life in that situation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
cinabar
cinabar began at the beginning.

Device: SonyReader, Palm
LockUp Update

Thanks guys, got home and tried charging with the wall charger and it worked. It seems it was a case of the USB not being able to charge a completly dead battery. Have to remember to not let the thing completely discharge if I take it on the road with me.
cinabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Cool! Glad you're back in business.

It's been discussed on other threads that the Reader can show as "connected" without charging, so you might want to check that out with your laptop. You should get the red "charge" light when it's connected if it's actually chargeing.

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I was scared a few days ago when mine did the same thing, wouldn't come back to life over USB. I plugged it into the wall for a few hours, good as new.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote