Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #271
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
That video does not seem to show HDMI capabilities, that looks like VNC (or other remote desktop technology) through USB to me. See that time lag? Now I'll be listening more carefully...
It's worth to remember that the device is still a prototype hence time lags can be expected.

There is nothing in this video that would prove your theory of VNC, you saw some time lags and assumed that it is VNC.

Based on this video alone both theories: 1) It uses hdmi/usb to mirror screen 2) It uses VNC to mirror screen are at least equally feasible.

EDIT: In other words, because yesterday was sunny you assume that today will be sunny too and criticize everyone that has different opinion than you.

It's worth to think a little before writing..

Last edited by SnowRipple; 10-14-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: new data
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #272
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowRipple View Post
It's worth to remember that the device is still a prototype hence time lags can be expected.

There is nothing in this video that would prove your theory of VNC, you saw some time lags and assumed that it is VNC.

Based on this video alone both theories: 1) It uses hdmi/usb to mirror screen 2) It uses VNC to mirror screen are at least equally feasible.

EDIT: In other words, because yesterday was sunny you assume that today will be sunny too and criticize everyone that has different opinion than you.

It's worth to think a little before writing..
No. I did not assume it is VNC. There's no theory. I saw the lag, and went "That's like VNC. That can't be HDMI - it's too laggy". I checked the audio again: the Onyx representative said: "This is HDMI". I trust that is HDMI. I cannot see how that can be HDMI. It is too laggy.

I do not see any serious reason how a prototypal HDMI can have lags. Do you? Yours is the extraordinary claim.

Quote:
and criticize everyone that has different opinion than you.
What?!

Last edited by mdp; 10-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #273
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. I did not assume it is VNC. There's no theory. I saw the lag, and went "That's like VNC. That can't be HDMI - it's too laggy". I checked the audio again: the Onyx representative said: "This is HDMI". I trust that is HDMI. I cannot see how that can be HDMI. It is too laggy.

I do not see any serious reason how a prototypal HDMI can have lags. Do you? Yours is the extraordinary claim.

What?!
Even Paperlike Pro that uses hdmi have lags, so there is nothing extraordinary in MAX2 having lags, especially if it a prototype. A prototype means that not everything can work as it should.

Haha..So first you advise me to listen more carefully because you think this is VNC not HDMI, then you check the audio again, and in fact the guy said that it is hdmi.
So I can return your advice to you:

You should listen more carefully
Old 10-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #274
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even Paperlike Pro that uses hdmi have lags, so there is nothing extraordinary in MAX2 having lags, especially if it a prototype. A prototype means that not everything can work as it should.

Haha..So first you advise me to listen more carefully because you think this is VNC not HDMI, then you check the audio again, and in fact the guy said that it is hdmi.
So I can return your advice to you:

You should listen more carefully
When did I advise you to listen more carefully?
Are you sure you understood what I wrote in my original post and in my reply?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #275
mdp
Wizard

Just for information, I tried NX and TeamViewer on the Icarus/Boyue (sporting the quad core we are waiting for), since they cannot work on the current Onyx devices (for lack of a CPU supporting graphic acceleration).
Working, they work. Working well, they cannot on this device. It has monstrous lags - it has even on VNC. VNC used on the Onyx devices is not perfect but usable (but not suitable for production); on this Icarus/Boyue device the mouse cursor - which is crucial - is updated every once in a while. On Onyx devices, it is hypnotically slow, but it is shown in a continuous flow. On this device, it appears static in unforeseeable places when fate so decides.
It has a quad core, but when using TV the CPU load is over 5...

Tests must be carried out on Onyx firmware - there's no way to make a parallel.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:48 AM   #276
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
usbmobilemonitor

I have been using it to stream my desktop to my C67ML_Carta via usb.
Price: Free

1. Screen can be touched to simulate mouse events
2. It works by streaming images, whose quality can be reduced to increase speed, like eMonitor for kindle. But the best quality (png) is quite fast.
3. I have used it to type for hours at a time, typing on the laptop keyboard with the laptop's display turned off.
4. It has an option to select which monitor to show, so in windows, I added an 800x600 landscape monitor to my display settings (using the detect monitor method) and switched to that display to turn my laptop screen off.
5. Screen can be pinch zoomed.
6. Works well while editing docs, typing, presentations, viewing lecture videos, etc
7. No need to launch an app on the laptop or on the onyx.
8. No battey drain, as it is working over usb.

If connected to the laptop before booting, login screen will automatically be cast to the onyx. Similarly, as soon as you plug the usb cable, the app starts on its own on the onyx (optional). So you can switch the laptop on, work on it and exit it, without turning on the laptop's display for once.

Cons:
1. I cannot see the mouse pointer. So either install a software that displays the pointer, or use keyboard shortcuts while browsing.
Scrolling with the mouse works great. And the mouse pointer is there, you just cant see it.
2. Crashes my older laptop sometimes. Works fine on the newer one.
3. To exit the app when in fullscreen: long press the left page turn button to bring the menu. Press settings, now you can click on the home on the task bar to exit the app.
4. Not too many options to adjust. Quite minimal, which is a pro in my opinion.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 AM   #277
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by utkarshj View Post
usbmobilemonitor
MAX 1.8.2 Android 4.0.4 with Win7x64 - don't work ("No installed apps work with this USB accessory. Please...")
Redmi 4A Android 6.0.1 with Win7x64 - don't work. Apps is opening, but showing only black screen.
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #278
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
Quote:
Code:
wondershaper your_interface_name_eg_enp0s29f7u1 4000 4000
You should also try which values work better for you...
Thank you. This works with my device
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #279
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
Thank you. This works with my device
Great! Which technology are you using? How is the experience?
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #280
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Faust View Post
MAX 1.8.2 Android 4.0.4 with Win7x64 - don't work ("No installed apps work with this USB accessory. Please...")
Redmi 4A Android 6.0.1 with Win7x64 - don't work. Apps is opening, but showing only black screen.
C67ML_Carta with 4.2.2 android on 1.8.1 firmware.
Win 8 64bit nd 32bit laptops.
I see a black screen with a status bar with 3 dots when the monitor has been connected but nothing is being displayed on it, like in a dual monitor setup.
Or maybe the app is crashing somehow.
there are other apps that do this, like twomon usb but i havent tried it.
similarly, some apps can also stream screen over usb with usbtethering enabled, but usb tethering is not present on my tab.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 AM   #281
cqman
Groupie
cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.cqman can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle DXG, Onyx Boox Max1, Max2, Nova, Hisense A5 Pro
Max2 as secondary monitor typing demo by a Chinese user.

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av16537961/
cqman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #282
-Lesnikus-
-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough-Lesnikus- is a jewel in the rough

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqman View Post
Max2 as secondary monitor typing demo by a Chinese user.

http://www.bilibili.com/video/av16537961/
Is it Max 2 or Max 2 PRO? It looks faster than in this video:
https://youtu.be/QdygQGtHZzw
Although it is difficult to understand the speed of the display on the process of enter text. If the author tried to show the video on Onyx, it would be possible to estimate the real frame rate.

Last edited by -Lesnikus-; 12-15-2017 at 12:00 PM.
-Lesnikus- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #283
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I have recorded a short video about connection of Max2 as extended monitor

Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #284
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I have recorded a short video about connection of Max2 as extended monitor
That's great, Booxtor. Promising.
I cannot really see well at pixel level, but that looked like "Normal EPD" mode (I cannot remember the technical term, and we would use it in less than a handful of people anyway), not A2 - is that correct?
If it is, that is again impressive. In the only moment in the video that allows to measure lags, I counted one third of a second.

I see you also connected the USB - is that required for the monitor software, or were you just charging it?

Question: does it become more responsive if you use A2?

Last edited by mdp; 12-14-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:52 PM   #285
SnowRipple
Zealot

Thanks @Booxtor for the video!

Could you show us some browsing and typing in Screen Mirroring mode please?

It is still hard to judge if the lagginess is acceptable for standard work..