Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #361
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post

The Aura comes a beige plain looking box - I wanted the packaging to look better for a "premium" reader.
LOL, I threw my box into my recycling bin, so it is a good job that Kobo did not spend a ton of money on the packaging IMHO.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #362
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Now that the Aura is available in stores, I went to compare it to a Glo. And I ended up exiting said store with an Aura because of the great front light, if nothing else.
congratulations!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #363
flips01
Connoisseur
flips01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Could you post a picture of it with the glo light on. I'd like to see what that looks like. Thank you.
I'm not sure I'm able to make good night shots that shows how it actually looks. The two here added, seems too grained, too yellow, and it seems like it's lots of bleeding light in the edges (which it isn't.)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368799880.057959.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	105966
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368799991.539773.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	105967

All I can say, it's better for my eyes for reading in darkness than the iPhone or iPad ...
flips01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #364
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
It definitively works better than the Kindle on PDFs (mainly due to the better resolution). The Kindle's pinch zoom is easier, though.
For my multi-column PDF's I would need to split the pages in some program before syncing to the Aura.

Two questions:
1. If I set the page refresh from 6 to 1 (due to that bug), will that decrease battery time notably?
2. Is it possible to turn off the "Page # of #" in PDF viewing? (Especially in Landscape mode that would be nice)
I haven't seen a noticeable effect on battery life when setting the page refresh to 1. Page turns are a bit slower and it is a bit annoying with the flash each page but after a few pages I no longer really noticed it. After a while though, I went back to using an iPad for PDFs. Even on the Aura, the diagrams in the tech documents were just too hard to read. OTOH, I keep them on my Aura -- hard to read beats not available to read.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #365
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Now that the Aura is available in stores, I went to compare it to a Glo. And I ended up exiting said store with an Aura because of the great front light, if nothing else.

It feels surprisingly light for 240g and the back is thinner than the videos led me to believe.

Well, I don't think I can add anything that hasn't been said already so I'll stop here

Edit: the displayed devices were just out of the box and not connected to WIFI, so all of them were running the firmware 2.4.3 (or was it 2.4.2?). With this firmware the home screen is exactly the one we are used to with other Kobo devices (carousel and everything, no tiles to be seen).
Wondering if there are copies of 2.43.foirmware one can sideload

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #366
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It feels surprisingly light for 240g and the back is thinner than the videos led me to believe.

Well, I don't think I can add anything that hasn't been said already so I'll stop here

Edit: the displayed devices were just out of the box and not connected to WIFI, so all of them were running the firmware 2.4.3 (or was it 2.4.2?). With this firmware the home screen is exactly the one we are used to with other Kobo devices (carousel and everything, no tiles to be seen).
Wondering if there are copies of 2.43.foirmware one can sideload Don't hate the Aura screen, just feel it is useless, ugly, unstable, and cluttered

Helen
Old 05-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #367
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Wondering if there are copies of 2.43.foirmware one can sideload Don't hate the Aura screen, just feel it is useless, ugly, unstable, and cluttered
Well, if you open an Aura, you can get it from the recovery partition. The files are in the "upgrade" directory of the device. Or at least, that's where they are for the Glo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #368
larrymohr
Zealot
larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.larrymohr is faster than slow light.

Device: Samsung S6 tab, Kobo Sage, AURA One, Mini
Quote:

Helen
I don't understand?

The old Home screen only showed the last 5 books loaded. If you were reading a book and loaded more than 4 books, the book you were reading was lost. You had to go find it in the library.

On the Aura Home screen, when you load a lot of books it uses ONE tile (which you can dismis). You can actually remove whichever tiles (except the sync tile on 2.5.1) you like. It is basically a history of last viewed items. It makes it easy to go back to sudoko or word scamble or whichever of the last four or so books I have open.

I find it the most useful Kobo Home screen since the original I'm Reading on the Original Kobo. In fact, I like this better since I have a lot of control over what stays on the screen.

Larry
larrymohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #369
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Helen
That's one of the reasons I've mentioned it
By the way, I will go back to the shop tomorrow morning so I'll check the version number (if the devices haven't been updated, that is).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #370
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Well, if you open an Aura, you can get it from the recovery partition. The files are in the "upgrade" directory of the device. Or at least, that's where they are for the Glo.
Have you opened up the Aura? If so, can you provide some advice.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #371
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Wondering if there are copies of 2.43.foirmware one can sideload
You can access the 2.4 firmware by doing a factory reset and bypassing the registration (since the registration will force an update). The registration can be bypassed using the sqlite3 technique. It may be possible to bypass the registration by backing up the .kobo directory prior to resetting the device then replacing it after the device has been updated.

Just one warning: any version of the firmware prior to 2.5 was designed for smaller and lower resolution screens. Some of the controls will be harder to press and the cover view on the home screen will be crammed into the top left corner. There were other bugs, but I forget what they were. (Needless to say, I ended up returning to 2.5.)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:57 AM   #372
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
You can access the 2.4 firmware by doing a factory reset and bypassing the registration (since the registration will force an update). The registration can be bypassed using the sqlite3 technique. It may be possible to bypass the registration by backing up the .kobo directory prior to resetting the device then replacing it after the device has been updated.
I don't think backing up the .kobo directory like that won't help. The device is probably looking to see if a user is logged in and that requires the entry in the database.
Quote:
Just one warning: any version of the firmware prior to 2.5 was designed for smaller and lower resolution screens. Some of the controls will be harder to press and the cover view on the home screen will be crammed into the top left corner. There were other bugs, but I forget what they were. (Needless to say, I ended up returning to 2.5.)
That's interesting to hear. I think I'd try it just to see how bad it looked Was the whole screen used when reading a book?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #373
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
That's interesting to hear. I think I'd try it just to see how bad it looked Was the whole screen used when reading a book?
It used the screen size for the top and bottom menu bars and the display area for ePub files. (I cannot speak for kepub or PDF.)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #374
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
I don't understand?

The old Home screen only showed the last 5 books loaded. If you were reading a book and loaded more than 4 books, the book you were reading was lost. You had to go find it in the library.

On the Aura Home screen, when you load a lot of books it uses ONE tile (which you can dismis). You can actually remove whichever tiles (except the sync tile on 2.5.1) you like. It is basically a history of last viewed items. It makes it easy to go back to sudoko or word scamble or whichever of the last four or so books I have open.

I find it the most useful Kobo Home screen since the original I'm Reading on the Original Kobo. In fact, I like this better since I have a lot of control over what stays on the screen.

Larry
To be honest I rarely use the home screen except to get to the shelves. If I wanted to go on lt to the same shelf it is faster opening a shelf on the home screen by as much as 2 minutes but I rarely (almost never) want to do that.

And I am curious. I am pretty sure I can get the current home screen back if I want to, and probably will have to evntually anyway.

May not even try the 2.x thing, but nice to have the option.

Helen
Old 05-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #375
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It was 2.4.1 aa73efd2bd (12/03/13).
If it's not updated next time I go there, I'll try to take a picture of a "normal" page.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote