Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
wanderingstar
wanderingstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Overnight battery dying?

Hi,

Does anyone else have the experience of the battery dying overnight or do I have a bad unit? I fully charged the Vox yesterday, read for 1 hour or so. This morning I find the device turned off and the battery depleted.

A similar thing happened the night before, so I deleted all of the social syncing widgets to try and improve it. Obviously the problem remains.

I might just be used to the iPad but I don't think 100% battery drain in about 12 hours of standby is normal.

Thanks!
wanderingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
I thought I read in one of the threads that there was an issue with the unit not actually sleeping when the Kobo App is left running. I would make sure everything is closed or just turn the unit off. If it is a common issue it will probably be addressed in an update.

I had my android phone do this a couple times where the screen was off but it wasn't actually asleep and quickly depleted the battery. One of the Apps was not allowing it to go to sleep.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Turn off 'Automatically Sync' in the Accounts settings, and maybe turn off WiFi. See if that stops the drain, as it sounds like something's using battery.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
friktion
Zealot
friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.friktion can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony 700, Kindle 3Wi-Fi, Skytex Primer 7", Kindle Fire
Definitely the wifi is probably on. Make sure it's closed, I've noticed how fast it eats up the battery when its on ...
friktion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Check that your wifi is allowed to turn off when sleeping. Some apps, most notably the preloaded RDIO, will change the setting. You can check here:

Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-fi Settings > Options Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi Sleep Policy

Hope that helps,
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
wanderingstar
wanderingstar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks KoboJW. That's almost certainly the problem, since I have an RDIO subscription and remember changing that setting. Unfortunately I kind of want that functionality sometimes.

I really don't understand why this should be a problem unless I'm actively streaming RDIO. The touchscreen on my unit is going anyways so it's headed back to BestBuy. Not sure if I will return or exchange at this point.
wanderingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingstar View Post
Thanks KoboJW. That's almost certainly the problem, since I have an RDIO subscription and remember changing that setting. Unfortunately I kind of want that functionality sometimes.

I really don't understand why this should be a problem unless I'm actively streaming RDIO. The touchscreen on my unit is going anyways so it's headed back to BestBuy. Not sure if I will return or exchange at this point.
Because RDIO might want to connect to the server every few minutes, even if you're not doing anything? That's one thing to watch out for. Ditto any other Homescreen widgets you might have set up (like the INQ ones for the news ticker, the Facebook apps).
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
We are finding that lots of apps have call home functionality. Some may be the cause of the ghost-in-the-machine lock screen wake up that some are seeing. We are looking into it, of course. Wifi enabled during sleep, even with no call home will drain more battery regardless. But these apps calling home increase the drain and make battery life less predictable.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
KoboJW

I just left the Vox in sleep mode over night and the battery hardly dropped at all. I double checked the sleep policy and it is set as expected to turn off when the screen is off.

Thanks for the tip on the other software possibly mangling that setting.

I also didn't realize that settings could indeed have more settings viewable with the settings button. I was wondering where the advanced TCP/IP settings were but hadn't gotten around to poking about.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
This happened to me last night for the first time since i got it. The only change I have made is setting up an email account which I did last evening, this morning the battery was drained. Deleted my email account and its charging now, hope this issue gets solved or i find a solution in the future.
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #11
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Update. After i deleted my email account setup i have had no porblems with the vox dying over night
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you are using the email app that came with the Vox, you can change the update frequency in the settings to "never" or a variety of other things so that the app doesn't keep checking in/using juice. You can always hit refresh to get your latest mail.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote