Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #1
sweetcream
sweetcream began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Charging problems

How do I charge for the V3? I can only use the USB since the charger isn't compatible for the UK.

When I plug it in it turns on. When I switch it off it turns green straight away?!

Can I just leave the screen on like that charging? I had it on for 14+ hrs but it didn't turn green.

I messed around so much I don't know if it will charge up completely for the next time...
sweetcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Option 1: Buy a USB charger. Amazon.co.uk has a variety of those for less than four quid.

Option 2: Charge through the computer. Yes, it will turn on, but at least on mine, it asks me whether I want to charge or connect. Anyway, charging when the V3 is on is still possible, it just might take a bit longer if you use it in the mean time.

Unrelated question: you're asking about the Hanlin/lBook V3, but your profile says "cybook"?
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
sweetcream

I'll try see what happens the second time I charge it. I definately didn't get an option tho the first time, and I had it on almost >24hrs without it showing green light p-__-q

Oh yeah, my profile says Cybook because I bought that first before returning it and buying the hanlin.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcream View Post
I'll try see what happens the second time I charge it. I definately didn't get an option tho the first time, and I had it on almost >24hrs without it showing green light p-__-q

Oh yeah, my profile says Cybook because I bought that first before returning it and buying the hanlin.
It happened to me as well. Instead of charging the battery it does the opposite. There is any info about that? It charged the battery before, but now when I put a new battery and connect to usb or power then the led is blinking and empting the battery (!?). It's firmware related? Something else?
Thanks.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcream View Post
same here.
jotheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
sweetcream, I don't know if the issue resolved but in different case I'd suggest to try a different USB cable. That was the issue with mine, for some reason the USB cable was faulty.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
@sweetcream

I definitely would follow iterati’s suggestion. The USB cable shipped with the reader (at least in my case) is a really crappy piece of junk.
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
CathalMagus
CathalMagus is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin V3 (lBook r2) with OpenInkpot
I have an LBook (rebadged HanLin V3) and I generally charge it using the USB-to-mains adapter which came in the box... in fact I also need a European-to-UK plug adapter for that as well, it's a ridiculous stack of adapters there!

In any case, one of the annoying things is that there's no feedback for charging. When you plug it in to the power source the screen turns on (but remember, it draws no power just to display the screen) and then stays there doing nothing. The power light (top-left-corner, may be green, amber or red) doesn't do anything to display charging status. So I just left it charging for 14 hours, and when I unplugged it I had the full 4 bars in the battery icon.

And yeah, you can just plug it into your computer's USB port and select "Charge", and just leave it there for the same amount of time. A bit of feedback when it's fully charged would have gone a long way... Oh well, I have high hopes for OpenInkPot :^)
CathalMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathalMagus View Post
In any case, one of the annoying things is that there's no feedback for charging. When you plug it in to the power source the screen turns on (but remember, it draws no power just to display the screen) and then stays there doing nothing. The power light (top-left-corner, may be green, amber or red) doesn't do anything to display charging status. So I just left it charging for 14 hours, and when I unplugged it I had the full 4 bars in the battery icon.
AFAIK, the power light should display charging status. First, controller charging LBook with high current and the LED should blink (or be red - need to check at home), after 2-3 hour it should change to constant green light, which means the battery is 85-90% charged, after this the controller is charging the battery with small current up to 100%, it can take some amount of time.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
sweetcream

Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
sweetcream, I don't know if the issue resolved but in different case I'd suggest to try a different USB cable. That was the issue with mine, for some reason the USB cable was faulty.
Yeah, I just charge through the mains USB charger now. It seems less tempermental than when connecting to a PC. I still don't like how it automatically turns on into the library when connected. When you then proceed to switch it off, it then shows a battery icon to indicate chargin. Why not just display that in the first place? Just a small gripe.

Last edited by sweetcream; 06-25-2008 at 01:47 PM.