Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
dhylton
dhylton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
text contrast

at least one of my (purchased) ebooks (epub format) shows grey text. the page contains pointers to footnotes which are solid black, and the text is quite obviously lighter than the battery/information bar at the bottom of the screen. the text is much harder to read than with other purchased epub-formatted books. so far this is my only complaint with the reader, and it does appear to be an issue with the book and not the reader.

i have been unable to find a way to make the text black instead of grey; where do i go from here?
dhylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi dhylton and welcome to MobileRead. No clue on te text question but, if there is an answer, you'll get it here.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhylton View Post

i have been unable to find a way to make the text black instead of grey; where do i go from here?
There are a few books I have found that the contrast is super light and it bugs me. Luckily, I can still read it, but I also wish there was a way to darken the text on certain pdf.

Welcome, hope someone can answer this for you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
First thing to try might be to see if you can unzip the epub and see if you can make any sense of the contents. I'm wondering if you can get at the CSS & see if there's something there... Slim chance, I'd have thought, if it's DRMmed, though...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
dhylton

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
First thing to try might be to see if you can unzip the epub and see if you can make any sense of the contents. I'm wondering if you can get at the CSS & see if there's something there... Slim chance, I'd have thought, if it's DRMmed, though...
awesome, your suggestion was right on the money! in the css, *everything* was set to maroon. the text in the *real* book is black, so i have no idea what they were thinking.

anyway, i unzipped, changed to maroon to black, re-zipped, transferred to the reader, and the result is very much easier to read.

thanks so much! (i had no idea an epub was basically a zip archive of a website ...)

the source of my particular ebooks sells drm-free products, so that wasn't an issue in this particular case.

http://www.symtio.com/symtio/control/FAQ#general05
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
dhylton

after passing this along to the publisher, the ebook in question has been fixed and re-distributed. apparently the big companies still listen to the little folks once in awhile.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks, this is good information!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Good to hear - The day after I posted that, Azardi announced V2 of their ePub reader, which added unpack, edit & re-pack capability, making this even easier to do!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote