Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
xz tools for a 3

I am needing these for today. So I am sharing...

[root@kindle src]#find /mnt/us -name 'xz*'
xz xzcat xzcmp xzdec xzdiff xzegrep xzfgrep xzgrep xzless xzmore

I used the 2006q3 CS TC (which amazingly didn't choke)

[root@kindle src]# xz --version
xz (XZ Utils) 5.0.3
liblzma 5.0.3

Spoiler:
Code:
[root@kindle src]# find /mnt/us -name 'xz*' 
/mnt/us/bin/xzdec
/mnt/us/bin/xz
/mnt/us/bin/xzdiff
/mnt/us/bin/xzgrep
/mnt/us/bin/xzmore
/mnt/us/bin/xzless
/mnt/us/bin/xzcat
/mnt/us/bin/xzcmp
/mnt/us/bin/xzegrep
/mnt/us/bin/xzfgrep
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzcmp
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzegrep
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzmore
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzdiff
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzfgrep
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzcat
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzgrep
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzless
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xz
/mnt/us/usr/bin/xzdec
/mnt/us/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzdec.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xz.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzdiff.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzgrep.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzmore.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzless.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzcat.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzcmp.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzegrep.1
/mnt/us/share/man/man1/xzfgrep.1
/mnt/us/share/doc/xz
/mnt/us/share/doc/xz/xz-file-format.txt
/mnt/us/share/doc/xz/examples_old/xz_pipe_comp.c
/mnt/us/share/doc/xz/examples_old/xz_pipe_decomp.c
/mnt/us/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo
/mnt/us/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/xz.mo

To install. I dump them on the /mnt/us.

I run my . /go wangle and I'm good for the rest of that seesion.

no other documentation or assistance on offer I'm afraid. I shoved my script in to make life a bit easier. These are the tools. This is how I run them. If that's not for you? Nothing to see here. move along now...

Cloned from latest GIT (dated today)

you@dev ~/GIT/xz $ git clone http://git.tukaani.org/xz.git

Autogenned up a config.

built with you@dev ~/GIT/xz $ ./configure --prefix=/mnt/us --exec-prefix=/mnt/us --with-gnu-ld --disable-rpath --disable-assembler --target=arm --host=i686-pc-linux

and

export ARCH_FLAGS="-march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp"
export CC="arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc"
export CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -O2 -ffast-math ${ARCH_FLAGS} -pipe -fomit-$
export CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector" CPPFLAGS="-U_FORTIFY_SOURCE"
export HOST=i686-pc-linux
export BUILD=arm
export LDFLAGS="-static"

for good measure.

As I always say - when I logon to my 3 I run
cd /mnt/us; . ./go
where go is a custom script that contains:

Quote:
#!/bin/sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/mnt/us/usr/lib:/mnt/us/lib
$PARTIAL=/mnt/us/bin:/mnt/us/home/root:/mnt/us/usr/local/bin/opkg-utils
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/mnt/us/usr/bin:$PARTIAL
The files included in here are the complete files AFTER they have had the sym links deferenced out of them via the knc1/twobob double tar pass wangle.

They may blow up your house. Okay maybe not, but they should be considered "experimental". Please, don't ever install something that you are not confident with - nor ever play with a device you cant afford to have bricked.

thanks

EDIT: I shoved in my script and the . flags include I use occasionally for your convenience.

Henjoy!

license = GPLv2 http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Attached Files
File Type: gz xz-tools-kindle-3.3.tar.gz (1.02 MB, 478 views)
File Type: gz flags.tar.gz (335 Bytes, 340 views)
File Type: gz go.tar.gz (575 Bytes, 364 views)
File Type: gz xz-src-and-configure.tar.gz (5.92 MB, 427 views)

Last edited by twobob; 08-22-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: license = GPL http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[root@kindle src]# readelf -d /mnt/us/usr/bin/xz

Dynamic section at offset 0x1300c contains 28 entries:
Tag Type Name/Value
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [liblzma.so.5]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
0x00000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libc.so.6]

should be okay with the go wangle.

I am working on an auto-script today to hopefully elide the needs for individual shell scripts. I checked on mine. works great.
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
twobob

Further reading for me
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PKGBUILD
Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Looks nice. Thanks!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
twobob

no worries. I was wondering about making an Arch-arm-linux-pacman-like thingy for the kindles. http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guid...age-management

WIP. see what I come up with.
It's simple stuff really.
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #6
twobob

[root@kindle test]# xz -l links-2.7-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
Quote:
Strms Blocks Compressed Uncompressed Ratio Check Filename
1 1 1,774.5 KiB 3,610.0 KiB 0.492 CRC64 links-2.7-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
[root@kindle test]# xz -d -v links-2.7-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz
Quote:
links-2.7-1-arm.pkg.tar.xz (1/1)
100 % 1,774.5 KiB / 3,610.0 KiB = 0.492 624 KiB/s 0:05
[root@kindle test]# tar -x -f links-2.7-1-arm.pkg.tar
[root@kindle test]# rm *.tar
[root@kindle test]# ls
Quote:
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 8192 Aug 22 18:51 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 8192 Aug 22 18:46 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 695 Jul 3 17:27 .PKGINFO
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 8192 Aug 22 18:51 usr
works okay, seemingly : ) tar in busybox doesn't have lzma (Lempel–Ziv–Markov chain algorithm) switch but meh -

Close enough for Jazz. Get's me one step closer.

Last edited by twobob; 08-22-2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Jazz
Old 08-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
no worries. I was wondering about making an Arch-arm-linux-pacman-like thingy for the kindles. http://archlinuxarm.org/support/guid...age-management
WIP. see what I come up with.
It's simple stuff really.
If we built Git for the kindles, then we could have a repo of kindle hacks. The only problem with that is not being able to pick and choose which specific ones to download.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
twobob

hmm... maybe

YUM seems like a better choice no?
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
If we built Git for the kindles, then we could have a repo of kindle hacks. The only problem with that is not being able to pick and choose which specific ones to download.
Have you notice this link at the top left of every page?
https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/hub/

MR already has a repository service, only no one uses it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #10
twobob

I had seen it.

But as it was entirely bereft of kindle stuff I - probably wrongly - thought there might be a damn good reason for that. : D
Old 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hmm... maybe
YUM seems like a better choice no?
I like YUM. I've heard packaging rpm files are easier than deb files but honestly I have no idea.

Tags
fat., kindle3, software, tools, xz-tools