Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 AM   #1
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
The Story of Stupid -- A Cautionary Tale

Stupid has two bad habits. He is trusting. And he keeps track of what he has read by the year of first publication. Let's discuss the second one first because the first one, first of all, is painfully transparent and only secondary to our story.

Stupid reads a lot. He has favorite authors. He reads everything of theirs he can find. So when he sees a book by a favorite author with a publication date close to the current year, he tends to buy it.

Stupid likes Lawrence Block. That is actually clever because Lawrence Block is a very good writer. He has written many books, so following him is especially rewarding.

Stupid had some free money on the Connect Books site owned by Sony Corporation. He saw a book there. It was, "The Canceled Czech". The publication date was 6/30/2007. Stupid thought, "Wow! A new Lawrence Block novel! He added it to his cart.

Stupid still had free money left on the Connect Books site owned by Sony Corporation. He saw another book there. It was, "The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep". The publication date was 6/30/2007. Stupid thought, "Wow! A another new Lawrence Block novel! He added it to his cart.

Stupid wasn't surprised that Lawrence Block could have two books published on the same day. He knew Lawrence could write a book in an afternoon, so why not? Stupid pushed the check-out button and downloaded the books and put them on his Sony Reader.

The first one, "The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep", seemed very familiar. Stupid went to the Lawrence Block official website and checked the Evan Tanner books. Much to Stupid's surprise he found the following: THE THIEF WHO COULDN'T SLEEP. Fawcett Gold Medal, 1966. 1966! That was over 40 years ago!

Then Stupid wondered about the second title, "The Canceled Czech". He was not surprised when he found: THE CANCELED CZECH. Fawcett Gold Medal, 1966.

Stupid was sad and happy. He was sad because the Sony Connect Ebook Store, whom he had trusted, gave him misinformation. If Stupid couldn't trust Sony, maybe he coundn't even trust his own mother!

But Stupid was happy too. Stupid was getting smarter!

Last edited by mogui; 08-01-2007 at 02:45 AM.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One site (I think Amazon) listed the Beatles' Revolver with a release date of 2005. Since I had no free credit I stuck with my version from the 1960s.

mogui, we've all been there, we've all done the same thing. I remember buying a bunch of new scifi titles only to find that some of them I already had, they just changed the name. I learned to read inside the books very quickly after that.

RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's especially annoying when books are re-released with a different title. Baen have done that a few times . Eg, they recently released Poul Anderson's classic "Tau Zero" with a new name "To Outlive Eternity"; I only discovered that it was "Tau Zero" when I actually read it .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I did it once with a paperback, when I had bought and read the hardcover already. (C.J. Cherryh, Chanur's Venture.) Oh well, it was a good book, anyway.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:23 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have excellent taste in books! I wasn't too bothered, because I buy every Baen "Webscription" release anyway .
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
B3T

Stupid here buys books in two languages.
Stupid likes beautiful drawings on covers.
Stupid buys and goes home.
Stupid after two chapters thinks author stole story.
Stupid sees that translation has been done before by other person in other country with different title.
Stupid does that 6 times.

Now no more stupid, now printed Wiki lists.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
they do this with music albums all the time, they ad a song or remove a song and call it an all new collection

now where's my radio
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
hehehehehe...

Yeah... been there, done that, bought the t-shirt...

Everything everybody listed except the other language *grin*

At least my short term memory is getting shorter and I can just keep on reading 'em for the first time.

The one that bugs me is when they get some writer to write something for someone popular. I remember when those first books came out marked "Alistair MacLean's <whatever>" and I hadn't read any of his since I was a kid and thought, cool, he's got a new novel and I'd read it and think hmmm.. he sure isn't as good a writer as I remember... Yeah, and then one time I pick it up and notice down at the bottom in tiny print it says "by Alastair MacNeill" .. He's probably an okay writer in his own right but he's not Alistair MacLean. Now I'm wary of anything that says xxxxx's <bookname>.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:34 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
The one that bugs me is when they get some writer to write something for someone popular. I remember when those first books came out marked "Alistair MacLean's <whatever>" and I hadn't read any of his since I was a kid and thought, cool, he's got a new novel and I'd read it and think hmmm.. he sure isn't as good a writer as I remember... Yeah, and then one time I pick it up and notice down at the bottom in tiny print it says "by Alastair MacNeill" .. He's probably an okay writer in his own right but he's not Alistair MacLean. Now I'm wary of anything that says xxxxx's <bookname>.
Yep, I was caught out in exactly that way when the first of "Tom Clancy's Op-Center" series came out. I bought in, mistakenly assuming it was written by Tom Clancy. I was sadly mistaken in that belief .
Old 08-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #10
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

On 08/08/07 Stupid emailed the following to Sony Support:
If you examine my account history, you will find two ebook purchases on 7/27/2007 totaling $12.78. Both books were displayed with an alleged publication date of 2007. I bought them because I thought they were new releases! When I started reading them, I remembered having read them before. When I checked the author's website, I saw they had been published in 1966 -- more than 40 years ago!

Please correct your publication dates where they are incorrect so your customers can make informed buying decisions, and credit my account with $12.78
Thank you
Old 08-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
On 08/08/07 Stupid emailed the following to Sony Support:
If you examine my account history, you will find two ebook purchases on 7/27/2007 totaling $12.78. Both books were displayed with an alleged publication date of 2007. I bought them because I thought they were new releases! When I started reading them, I remembered having read them before. When I checked the author's website, I saw they had been published in 1966 -- more than 40 years ago!

Please correct your publication dates where they are incorrect so your customers can make informed buying decisions, and credit my account with $12.78
Thank you
I hope Sony will refund your money since it is their mistake.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember

I've done that with music a few times. And for whomever mentioned Baen above, that's also been done with Drake's Slammers and the Falkenberg's Legion stories. (Though each had minor edits/additions to the stories themselves, it was still essentially the same story.)

In those cases there isn't a lot to be done, but it would be nice is Connect would list a "first published" date in addition to the date that their e-version was published. I don't suppose Sony did anything 'wrong' by listing their publication date as the publication date, but it does seem a little misleading.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope Sony will refund your money since it is their mistake.
They could argue that if they published it in 2007, then 2007 is the publication date for their version of it. caveat emptor and all that.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #14
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They could argue that if they published it in 2007, then 2007 is the publication date for their version of it. caveat emptor and all that.
Aye, but if they expect readers to choose the moral high ground and not to steal their ebooks, a lot of those same readers will feel they have some right to expect fair play from them. That's hardly the main point though...

They need to remember that for most of us, it's not hard to take a few months break from buying that caveat'illicious product by just reaching behind us and pulling vol 1 of 20 of something off the shelf. It's a convenience they're selling, not a need. This has not happened collectively before because... well, we're readers.. by nature solitary. Many of us have had better things to do historically than yatter at each other. What was once though a community of "a minority of readers with an active social gene" is expanding with the aid of this ereader and ebook temptation. It's been my pleasurable experience to find that most readers are intelligent kind hearted folks that are resistant to the herd mentality. Nonetheless, for the first time we are drawn together by something.

It will be interesting to see if what I just said is true and if it is, if they'll recognize it.

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-12-2007 at 02:36 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #15
mogui
eNigma

Yes! If Sony is truly attempting to create an eBook market, and not just playing, they might care that we have a shopping experience with them that is satisfying and pleasurable. Sony, was it good for you?