Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #16
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunie View Post
I’ve had my kindle touch since 2012. Here in the Philippines my device is considerably worn from heavy use but it has not suffered falls or any undue physical damage. I keep it in a belkin case. Presently the screen is starting to fade. I don’t know how to diagnose the problem, if it is what others call “sun-fade” or severe case of ghosting. But I have stopped using it because the screen is unreadable. I did the ff to fix or mitigate the screen to no avail, save the last expedient:

1) Jailbreak: I thought there was an option to max out screen refresh to sweep away those unsightly artifacts –it seems my kindle’s capacity to fully refresh has weakened (see 3rd attachment in full page refresh below)

2) Downgrade to ancient fw via the Kubrick bootable CD: this confirmed that the screen itself was the problem regardless of fw as it did nothing

3) Changed to a custom blank screensaver to wash out afterimage/ghosting: helped a bit but text remains faded

4) Opted for ‘list view’ because the book covers, graphics and such like worsen ghosting

5) Turning pages with full page refresh on does mitigate ghosting but for a page to be readable I have to refresh the screen a dozen times and if you’re reading War and Peace this is impossible…but still, when I have to use the dictionary, the box that pops up is unreadable and the text just pile up on top of each other (see 4th attachment)

6) Landscape mode did nothing either

7) I put it in the ref (this is silly and bad for the battery I know) but voila! The screen was as sharp and clear-cut as if I just took it out of the box. (see 2nd attachment) In the bedroom with A/C on I have noticed that the screen looks better. I am aware of the kindle’s operating temperature. I have also noticed after I took it out of the ref the screen refresh is much blacker. (see 1st photo; cf. the 3rd attachment) I would advise against doing this if you love your kindle.

I really love my kindle though. Here it has survived earthquakes and typhoons (I have hiked with it to the uplands, slept with it in the middle of roads because of aftershocks, quite fondly I think about it now). But I held off buying a new kindle pw because of what I discovered: climate does degrade the kindle screen. (To be fair, I think all electronics do over time.) I don’t know if that holds water, but for now I will keep to my paperbacks. I wish someone could cast more light on this problem.

Just switch to Android devices, seems like our only option. I live on Leyte. I looked at your photos. None of mine looked like that, screen just got so faded I could no longer see how to read the print.

Last edited by amgoforth; 03-19-2015 at 12:21 AM.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:30 AM   #17
Turanga
Turanga began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5th gen. 9023 (B023 or K4) v4.1.3
Hi all! I have a 5th Generation Kindle, K4 or 9023-B023 and Its fading away too. I NEVER use it outdoors, as I use paperbacks when I go out, like to the beach or in parks and such. In my case it's never been in extreme weather and never fallen or anything like that. But still it's fading away. Some forums suggest its normal for e-ink and to get myself another one. Also Amazon customer service say to buy another one, as I've had it for 2 years already and the warranty does not apply. I'm NOT bying another one as in another 2 years it'll fade the same. E-books are costly and have expiration date. This sucks!
Turanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and it's not fading. It's about 4 years old.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Did I read the OP correctly and that all of the devices were bought at least 7 years ago?
I am curious as to when they started fading.
If just recently that says the devices are well made.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Both my e-ink devices (VISPLEX, PEARL) are still fine after 4 years.
I have used both in bright sun light occasionally.
I also use care to storethem in the same environment I enjoy (not blazing hot )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #21
Zelandi
Enthusiast
Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Letto Frontlight/cybook muse
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunie View Post
(---)
7) I put it in the ref (this is silly and bad for the battery I know) but voila! The screen was as sharp and clear-cut as if I just took it out of the box. (see 2nd attachment) In the bedroom with A/C on I have noticed that the screen looks better. I am aware of the kindle’s operating temperature. I have also noticed after I took it out of the ref the screen refresh is much blacker. (see 1st photo; cf. the 3rd attachment) I would advise against doing this if you love your kindle.
Did this fix it, or was it just sharp the first page?
Zelandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #22
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a Sony PRS-T1 and it's not fading. It's about 4 years old.
Me too - I have a PRS-T1 purchased in 2012 which I still use on a daily basis
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:23 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have two K4 - a silver one from 2011 and a black one, purchased 2013. The silver one which I actually used longer (it was my only e-reader for two years) is not faded at all. The black one (I read almost exclusively on it for 1,5 years or so) seems a bit faded when the page refresh is off (it refreshes every 6 pages then). The Basic Kindle from 2014 (with touchscreen) is also not faded at all, but I have not used it very much.

I have never taken any of my readers out of the house or read in direct sunlight.

So it seems that the 2012 black Basic is indeed somewhat prone to fading.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 AM   #24
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
jhunie, Where you ever able to find a solution to our problem?
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
The is interesting! The K4 Black I gave away was also fading. The K4 Silver had no fading.

I use to sing the praises of the K4B because its text was really dark but when I gave it to my niece last year the text was starting to get lighter. She didn't mind. I also gave her my silver one which had no fade. Its text has always been a dark grey. My K3 shows no fading at all. It was bought in 2010. The K4s when each one was first released. I was an early adopter on both.

None have been used outdoors.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 08-17-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote