Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #46
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Why would Sara want to hurt Kira ? I mean if her purpose was to get back to Max Devore then why didn't she kill him ? he couldn't care less about Kira so killing her would not have hurt him. He was ok to get her and kill her for Sara if Noonan had not stepped in to prevent that.

And how the hell an old hag like Rogette gets to stone a young guy in a lake almost to death ? At the first stone (when he was not yet in the lake) I would have jumped at her throat so fast that she wouldn't have known what hit her.
If you find out how to unread it, let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
Does it mean that you will read it back to front? I want to unread bag of bones but for totally different reasons

Last edited by Quexos; 05-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #47
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps it will show how little difference, not having it out as an ebook, makes in
the amount or timing of the pirating of his books. I, personally think the point was
made well enough by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, but another prominent example
can't hurt.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
What does he mean by "stir their sticks"?
Perhaps it was more polite than "pull the stick out of their ..." Or whatever the original quote might have been...shove a stick...erm...

I don't get when authors make it harder for people to buy their books. Sure, I get when exclusive deals are made, but when you have a growing audience as you do with ebooks, why wouldn't you produce the product readers want??? I suppose he doesn't need the money. And maybe it gets his name in the news. Perhaps he's just looking to be in the news and he will change his mind before the release. Could be just a ploy.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #49
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
King seems to be making statements (and marginalizing large swaths of people) with his wallet more frequently these days, or perhaps his decisions are just getting more airtime than in the past. Fortunately, I'm also able to let my money do the talking. Will he miss the dollars I don't spend on his books? No. Will I miss not reading his new works? Also no.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Will Mr. King also ban Amazon sales? We sit on our butts while order on-line, deliver by carriers. I can't understand no-to-ebook decision.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #51
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
What you "inferred from his statement", though, is a bit paranoid. The man decides to do a tribute to a kind of pulp paperback he liked in his youth in exactly the same way, down to the low price point (even though, given the realities of publishing, not as low as in the 50s).

That's all.

Inferring that he's dissing ebooks or visually impaired people is, well, paranoid. And while someone who's visually impaired does have a point[1], I do not think that this has entered into Mr. King's reasoning. It's like complaining that your movie theater won't show the newest blockbuster with closed captioning. The world does not revolve around us; not having access to each and every entertainment option on the planet is not discrimination.

Matt

[1] And I get that point. I count myself in that group as well and will, most likely, not be able to read the paperback in question easily. So, I'll give it a pass. But it's not like I feel Mr. King has somehow "wronged" me.
Where in my statement do I talk of him dissing visually impaired people? I said that he was being insensitive, but out of that you got that I said he was dissing the visually impaired? As far as being paranoid, I am far from it. I happen to know that Steven King has a great vocabulary and know how to use it. That is why I am disappointed in what he said. So, again, please do not put words into my mouth.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #52
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Why would Sara want to hurt Kira ? I mean if her purpose was to get back to Max Devore then why didn't she kill him ? he couldn't care less about Kira so killing her would not have hurt him. He was ok to get her and kill her for Sara if Noonan had not stepped in to prevent that.

And how the hell an old hag like Rogette gets to stone a young guy in a lake almost to death ? At the first stone (when he was not yet in the lake) I would have jumped at her throat so fast that she wouldn't have known what hit her.
If you find out how to unread it, let me know
Now this is cruel. How will I unread it twice
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #53
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
On the topic though, I am sure, I wouldn’t have bothered to find name of his next book. King has successfully advertised his book to me. That doesn’t mean I am going to buy it but now I know.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #54
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
King is fond of experimenting with a variety of ways to publish his work. Remember The Green Mile and The Plant.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #55
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Where in my statement do I talk of him dissing visually impaired people? I said that he was being insensitive, but out of that you got that I said he was dissing the visually impaired? As far as being paranoid, I am far from it. I happen to know that Steven King has a great vocabulary and know how to use it. That is why I am disappointed in what he said. So, again, please do not put words into my mouth.
Ok, sorry. I thought it a valid paraphrase. I apologize.

So, how is it insensitive? Seriously. I don't see it.

Does everyone have a right to every entertainment option in the form they choose? Is there a right for an audio book or braille version for blind people? Do people who don't speak the language have a right to get their translation of a new King novel on publication day? Can I demand a paperback version of every ebook-only book if I live in a place where I don't have access to electricity?

Is it insensitive if a new video game isn't available for Mac/PC/Xbox/PS3/whatever?

So what did Mr. King say that you consider insensitive? How dare he publish a pulp paperback book in the tradition of the 50s?

I think it's your sense of entitlement that's out of line a bit here ("I want what I want when and how I want it and how dare you deny me") rather than Mr. King's comments, but that is obviously not the way you see it

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you don't let me love you on my terms, I will hate you forever.
Spoiler:
Or something to that effect.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #57
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Ok, sorry. I thought it a valid paraphrase. I apologize.

So, how is it insensitive? Seriously. I don't see it.

Does everyone have a right to every entertainment option in the form they choose?
Depends on the situation and what country you live in. In the places that a large proportion of Mobilereaders come from, when it would be easy to provide access for people with disabilities (no "unreasonable hardship" would be incurred), then yes, it may very well be against the law to deliberately withhold that access. And yes, this applies to entertainment just as it applies to all sorts of other life activities.

Libraries have already been smacked down in the USA for ordering inaccessible ereaders for their patrons. Cinemas in Australia have been ordered to up their accessibility or get into legal hot water. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before someone brings the first suit regarding deliberate withholding of ebook access.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #58
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Companies have always released media in specific formats, either as a gimmick (limited vinyl in different colors, picture discs) or for specific uses (twelve-inches of nothing but locked grooves). Sometimes the format is retro-only for a reason, as we saw in the '90s, and artists will release all of the above. Once upon a time, Arovane and Autechre actually put out albums as minidisc-only and they weren't being "arrogant." It was a question of different deals and aesthetic concepts.

That King would want to play with different formats isn't necessarily "flip-flopping." It could also be a way of keeping his job interesting.

Also: Supporting digital media in the past and trying to support ailing physical bookstores now is not necessarily inconsistent. Both actions support literacy and both support bookstores of different kinds. Doesn't King own a Kindle himself?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #59
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I'll buy it. I liked his last Hard Case Crime book, so I'll probably enjoy this one.

I don't care if it's not eBook format. I don't feel like he HAS to put it in eBook format either.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #60
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Yup get even with that crotchety old stereotypical Maine/New England curmudgeonly rat bastage and just download Steven King's Wang:

http://archive.org/details/2011-12-stephen-kings-wang

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/bo...pagewanted=all

Ha apparently had no further use of it once the 80s arrived as he sold the thing.

Personally I am torn as he once purchased some items from me and was an excellent customer, downright friendly in fact. and spent a TON of cash with me. However in his writing he hasn't been worth a shite since the 80's when he mothballed then unloaded his Wang. The last work I enjoyed was The Stand and after that was The Dead Zone.

He is an arse of that there is not much doubt, but it is in keeping with his living out in BF nowhere Maine life and upbringing. This is just how they are up there...he is not losing me as a customer as I've only purchased ONE of his books and that was used so no cash from me.

I suspect this is just a PR stunt to bring his name back into the news for other than diehard fans. I mean it is not as if there remains a thriving B&M bookstore community to support any longer.

Really, be honest, his work devolved into Dan Brown formulaic detritus long before we even knew there was a Dan Brown. Were it not that people LIKE things they do to remain unchallenging and dumbed down he would have never been more than a passing footnote in literary history. I guess I'm saying to me he is very overrated.

Last edited by rkw; 05-22-2013 at 04:23 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote