Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Read to Me?

Is there an app for the Fire that will read (text to speech) ab ordinary book to me? I have some heavy reading to do and would like to get some done on my commute.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes. Mantano Reader will do that (ePub or PDF, with or without Adobe DRM). Also Cool Reader (ePub, fb2, doc, txt, rtf, html,, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, mobi, with no DRM). ezPDFReader for PDF, probably others also. Cool Reader is free, you can get it from GetJar (which you can install on Fire by visiting their web site). Mantano has a free ad-supported version on Google Play, but the Premium version is only $4.99 (I think I paid $7.99, happily). ezPDFReader is in Amazon Appstore, but if you have a way to get Mantano on there, it is a great app.

Fire's TTS is not the best (PicoTTS) but it is functional. No way to replace it with something better short of rooting, however (AFAIK). I'd be willing to pay for 3rd party TTS if they'd make the settings available.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
thank you.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
FBReader has a free download of a plugin which does text to speech. The one time I tried it, it was pretty good, but it comes with a quirk. Its installation causes the menu bar to freeze up and the only way to unfreeze it is to activate the Kindle Fire menu and then go back to the FBReader menu.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #5
fulltimer
Enthusiast
fulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenfulltimer has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: K2, K3(3G-WIFI), Fire
How do you get cool reader to read aloud on the Fire?

I don't see any setting to start it.

I downloaded CR3-0-45-07.apk and it installed OK but no Read Aloud option.

don
fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
yoho
Banned
yoho began at the beginning.

Device: none
try iReader
yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #7
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltimer View Post
How do you get cool reader to read aloud on the Fire?

I don't see any setting to start it.

I downloaded CR3-0-45-07.apk and it installed OK but no Read Aloud option.

don
I think it's under "more " in the menu, if I remember correctly. Very mechanical sounding, but it works.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote